Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:52 PM   #26
Renzatic
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Yeah, I'm getting the same way myself. But until the day comes when I can't eat even the smallest amount of processed or salty foods without risking debilitating heartburn, I will occasionally snack on Goldfish.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:29 PM   #27
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
The Attorney General here in Colorado has stated that they will implement the law so it looks like like it will be a reality here.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:35 PM   #28
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
About time. Weed is so prevalent here in CO as it is. May as well get taxes from it

Now I just hope people don't move here even more lol
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Surely
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
The Attorney General here in Colorado has stated that they will implement the law so it looks like like it will be a reality here.
That's so awesome.

We have the medicinal thing going on here in CA, which basically means you have to jump through a hoop to get access. I hope it will somehow become fully legal here too someday soon.

Also, I need to move to CO and open up a bong and curly fries shop.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
That's so awesome.

We have the medicinal thing going on here in CA, which basically means you have to jump through a hoop to get access. I hope it will somehow become fully legal here too someday soon.

Also, I need to move to CO and open up a bong and curly fries shop.
I need to move to Colorado , purchase a bong and some curly fries from you and by doing that increase revenues for Colorado.

__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:15 PM   #31
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I wonder how Obama is going to deal with this in his final term.
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/07/de...-in-colorado-a

This might be the answer.
Quote:
DEA Responds to Legal Weed in Colorado and Washington: "Enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged"

Despite the passage of ballot initiatives in Washington and Colorado legalizing recreational marijuana, "the Drug Enforcement Administration’s enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged," a DEA spokesperson told Reason this morning.

"In enacting the Controlled Substances Act, Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. The Department of Justice is reviewing the ballot initiatives and we have no additional comment at this time."

The DOJ released a similarly opaque response to reporter CJ Ciaramella of the Washington Free Beacon. "The Department's enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged. In enacting the Controlled Substances Act, Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. We are reviewing the ballot initiatives and have no additional comment at this time."

While there's "no comment at this time," Deputy Attorney General James Cole hinted last month at what the Obama administration's response might be.

"Each case is going to rise and fall on its own unique facts," Cole said in a 60 Minutes interview. "Any of that is still in violation of the Controlled Substances Act of the federal law. We're not interested in bothering people who are sick and are using it in the recommendation of a doctor. We are concerned with people who are using it as a pretext to become large-scale drug dealers."
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:20 PM   #32
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Quote:
"Each case is going to rise and fall on its own unique facts," Cole said in a 60 Minutes interview. "Any of that is still in violation of the Controlled Substances Act of the federal law. We're not interested in bothering people who are sick and are using it in the recommendation of a doctor. We are concerned with people who are using it as a pretext to become large-scale drug dealers."
So what, are they going to shut down every 7-11 in Colorado now?

This is clearly heading for the courts and the will of the people should prevail.
zioxide is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:23 PM   #33
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
So what, are they going to shut down every 7-11 in Colorado now?

This is clearly heading for the courts and the will of the people should prevail.
What are the details of the law, will the State sell pot or just not arrest you for possessing it?
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:23 PM   #34
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
I think what might happen is there won't be any shops opening up yet at the same time people simply possessing an ounce or less will be be legal thus no prosecution or busting people who simply possess it.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:25 PM   #35
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I think what might happen is there won't be any shops opening up yet at the same time people simply possessing an ounce or less will be be legal thus no prosecution or busting people who simply possess it.
We have that in CT, less than an ounce is a fine. If that is all this law is it doesn't have much teeth.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
We have that in CT, less than an ounce is a fine. If that is all this law is it doesn't have much teeth.
That's not how the measures are though.

Washington and Colorado both legalized the recreational use. Both states also will be setting up a legal industry. It would be sold in stores like some of the state run liquor stores. It won't be sold in the local 7-11.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #37
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
That's not how the measures are though.

Washington and Colorado both legalized the recreational use. Both states also will be setting up a legal industry. It would be sold in stores like some of the state run liquor stores. It won't be sold in the local 7-11.
Will you be able to grow your own?
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:35 PM   #38
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Will you be able to grow your own?
In Washington you can grow 5 plants.

Here's the Washington law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Initiative_502

And the Colorado law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorad...dment_64_(2012)
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:38 PM   #39
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
We have that in CT, less than an ounce is a fine. If that is all this law is it doesn't have much teeth.
It's decriminalized in CT though (like MA and now RI). You won't get arrested but they take your weed and give you a ticket.

In CO and WA now, state law enforcement can't do anything if you're over 21.
zioxide is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:41 PM   #40
Peace
macrumors P6
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Space--The ONLY Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
It's decriminalized in CT though (like MA and now RI). You won't get arrested but they take your weed and give you a ticket.

In CO and WA now, state law enforcement can't do anything if you're over 21.
Beginning Dec. 6th in Washington. Not sure when the law goes into effect in Colorado.
__________________
Throw us one Russell---John Fox Super Bowl 49
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:43 PM   #41
MacNut
macrumors P6
 
MacNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
It's decriminalized in CT though (like MA and now RI). You won't get arrested but they take your weed and give you a ticket.

In CO and WA now, state law enforcement can't do anything if you're over 21.
According to the wiki, in Washington it is still illegal to have unlicensed meaning grow at home.
Quote:
The initiative shall legalize use of marijuana products purchased from state authorized sources for adults 21 and over and focus law enforcement resources on DUI prosecution as well as violent and property crimes. Unlicensed cannabis will still be illegal, including personal "grows" in one's own home, except for medical cannabis as regulated under RCW 69.51A.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:21 PM   #42
iJohnHenry
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: On tenterhooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
A bit salty and they screw with my stomach. I can't handle processed food anymore. But they are tasty.
You can probably thank GMO, and likely Monsanto.

And it won't get better for your Son, and his kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
According to the wiki, in Washington it is still illegal to have unlicensed meaning grow at home.
Right.

If they aren't in it for something, you can't have it.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:03 PM   #43
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
So what, are they going to shut down every 7-11 in Colorado now?
No, only the KFC's that were turned into pot dispensaries as seen on South Park.
Attached Images
 
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:50 PM   #44
Vanilla Ice
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
__________________
Pre ordered iPhone 6+ 16GB Space Gray using JUMP! 9/12 @ 4pm PT. Charged and Shipped 9/25
Vanilla Ice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:09 PM   #45
Surely
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
Every right is abused by some irresponsible idiots. That's not a very good argument against legalization.

And FTR, I'm in great shape.
Surely is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:10 PM   #46
leenak
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
As a non drug user and non drinker, I think we spend too much money by trying to control the lives of people. The war on drugs is a failure. It seems that marijuana is relatively harmless, especially compared to alcohol. I see no reason to make it illegal. I would just hope smokers respect the right of others not to have to be exposed to their smoke.
leenak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:54 AM   #47
Mord
macrumors G4
 
Mord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Old York
Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
I would just hope smokers respect the right of others not to have to be exposed to their smoke.
As would I, I don't smoke either.

I would say though that as someone who's near those who do a whole lot smoke from a joint even mixed with tobacco isn't nearly as insidiously sticky or horrible smelling as plain tobacco smoke, at least to my senses. I still prefer it not being in my face but I'd genuinely prefer all the smoke that is in my locale to have weed in it.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:06 AM   #48
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.Florida
I hope this is challenged somehow , we are stooping low, so we fight for women rights, voting rights etc...... and now we fight for people to get high
thats a fight not worth fighting for..
__________________
Our knowledge has made us cynical,our cleverness hard and unkind.We think too much and feel too little:
More than machinery we need humanity;More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness
whoknows87 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:38 AM   #49
Eraserhead
macrumors G4
 
Eraserhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I hope this is challenged somehow , we are stooping low, so we fight for women rights, voting rights etc...... and now we fight for people to get high
thats a fight not worth fighting for..
So the tens of thousands who die every year in Mexico thanks to drugs being illegal isn't worth worrying about?

Its not as if prohibition ever works.
__________________
If they have to tell you every day they are fair you can bet they arent, if they tell you they are balanced then you should know they are not - Don't Hurt me
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:57 AM   #50
iBlue
macrumors Core
 
iBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, England
Excellent! I hope The Feds don't infringe upon this. The so-called "war on drugs" ruins perfectly decent lives and it is such a waste of money, particularly with something like cannabis. I hope this leads the way to some facts-based policies, and not just in the states.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
So should I assume most people who drink will be abusive, alcoholic pricks that will drive drunk? Yes, that can happen but it is dealt with accordingly. In many respects, someone who is stoned is probably safer than someone who is drunk... certainly more productive the next day, too. Yeah, yeah, you disclaimered yourself with "not saying all...." but that's clearly a big enough concern for you to even mention it. It's a terribly pessimistic assumption. I've known some idiot stoners but I've known even more totally responsible, successful people who also smoke weed. None of them fat, by the way. It is very much down to the individual.
__________________
‎(•͡. •͡) Nothing lasts but nothing is lost.

Last edited by iBlue; Nov 8, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
iBlue is offline   2 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General: Weed Firm tmanto02 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 May 24, 2014 02:38 AM
I have a weed problem yg17 Community Discussion 34 Apr 26, 2014 09:07 AM
Can you dry your wet iphone with weed?? ry23 Wasteland 2 Sep 6, 2013 02:12 PM
Government allows Legal Weed CountryBobs Politics, Religion, Social Issues 46 Aug 31, 2013 01:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC