Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:52 PM   #26
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Yeah, I'm getting the same way myself. But until the day comes when I can't eat even the smallest amount of processed or salty foods without risking debilitating heartburn, I will occasionally snack on Goldfish.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:29 PM   #27
hexonxonx
Banned

The Attorney General here in Colorado has stated that they will implement the law so it looks like like it will be a reality here.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:35 PM   #28
dukebound85
macrumors P6

About time. Weed is so prevalent here in CO as it is. May as well get taxes from it

Now I just hope people don't move here even more lol
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
The Attorney General here in Colorado has stated that they will implement the law so it looks like like it will be a reality here.
That's so awesome.

We have the medicinal thing going on here in CA, which basically means you have to jump through a hoop to get access. I hope it will somehow become fully legal here too someday soon.

Also, I need to move to CO and open up a bong and curly fries shop.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
That's so awesome.

We have the medicinal thing going on here in CA, which basically means you have to jump through a hoop to get access. I hope it will somehow become fully legal here too someday soon.

Also, I need to move to CO and open up a bong and curly fries shop.
I need to move to Colorado , purchase a bong and some curly fries from you and by doing that increase revenues for Colorado.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:15 PM   #31
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I wonder how Obama is going to deal with this in his final term.
http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/07/de...-in-colorado-a

This might be the answer.
Quote:
DEA Responds to Legal Weed in Colorado and Washington: "Enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged"

Despite the passage of ballot initiatives in Washington and Colorado legalizing recreational marijuana, "the Drug Enforcement Administration’s enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged," a DEA spokesperson told Reason this morning.

"In enacting the Controlled Substances Act, Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. The Department of Justice is reviewing the ballot initiatives and we have no additional comment at this time."

The DOJ released a similarly opaque response to reporter CJ Ciaramella of the Washington Free Beacon. "The Department's enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged. In enacting the Controlled Substances Act, Congress determined that marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. We are reviewing the ballot initiatives and have no additional comment at this time."

While there's "no comment at this time," Deputy Attorney General James Cole hinted last month at what the Obama administration's response might be.

"Each case is going to rise and fall on its own unique facts," Cole said in a 60 Minutes interview. "Any of that is still in violation of the Controlled Substances Act of the federal law. We're not interested in bothering people who are sick and are using it in the recommendation of a doctor. We are concerned with people who are using it as a pretext to become large-scale drug dealers."
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:20 PM   #32
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
Quote:
"Each case is going to rise and fall on its own unique facts," Cole said in a 60 Minutes interview. "Any of that is still in violation of the Controlled Substances Act of the federal law. We're not interested in bothering people who are sick and are using it in the recommendation of a doctor. We are concerned with people who are using it as a pretext to become large-scale drug dealers."
So what, are they going to shut down every 7-11 in Colorado now?

This is clearly heading for the courts and the will of the people should prevail.
zioxide is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:23 PM   #33
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post

This is clearly heading for the courts and the will of the people should prevail.
What are the details of the law, will the State sell pot or just not arrest you for possessing it?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:23 PM   #34
Peace
macrumors P6

I think what might happen is there won't be any shops opening up yet at the same time people simply possessing an ounce or less will be be legal thus no prosecution or busting people who simply possess it.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:25 PM   #35
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I think what might happen is there won't be any shops opening up yet at the same time people simply possessing an ounce or less will be be legal thus no prosecution or busting people who simply possess it.
We have that in CT, less than an ounce is a fine. If that is all this law is it doesn't have much teeth.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
We have that in CT, less than an ounce is a fine. If that is all this law is it doesn't have much teeth.
That's not how the measures are though.

Washington and Colorado both legalized the recreational use. Both states also will be setting up a legal industry. It would be sold in stores like some of the state run liquor stores. It won't be sold in the local 7-11.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #37
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
That's not how the measures are though.

Washington and Colorado both legalized the recreational use. Both states also will be setting up a legal industry. It would be sold in stores like some of the state run liquor stores. It won't be sold in the local 7-11.
Will you be able to grow your own?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:35 PM   #38
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Will you be able to grow your own?
In Washington you can grow 5 plants.

Here's the Washington law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Initiative_502

And the Colorado law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorad...dment_64_(2012)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:38 PM   #39
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
It's decriminalized in CT though (like MA and now RI). You won't get arrested but they take your weed and give you a ticket.

In CO and WA now, state law enforcement can't do anything if you're over 21.
zioxide is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:41 PM   #40
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
It's decriminalized in CT though (like MA and now RI). You won't get arrested but they take your weed and give you a ticket.

Beginning Dec. 6th in Washington. Not sure when the law goes into effect in Colorado.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:43 PM   #41
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:

According to the wiki, in Washington it is still illegal to have unlicensed meaning grow at home.
Quote:
The initiative shall legalize use of marijuana products purchased from state authorized sources for adults 21 and over and focus law enforcement resources on DUI prosecution as well as violent and property crimes. Unlicensed cannabis will still be illegal, including personal "grows" in one's own home, except for medical cannabis as regulated under RCW 69.51A.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:21 PM   #42
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surely View Post
A bit salty and they screw with my stomach. I can't handle processed food anymore. But they are tasty.
You can probably thank GMO, and likely Monsanto.

And it won't get better for your Son, and his kids.

Quote:
According to the wiki, in Washington it is still illegal to have unlicensed meaning grow at home.
Right.

If they aren't in it for something, you can't have it.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:03 PM   #43
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No, only the KFC's that were turned into pot dispensaries as seen on South Park.
Attached Images

MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:50 PM   #44
Vanilla Ice
macrumors 6502

America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:09 PM   #45
Surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
America is already dealing with obesity and laziness. This just adds to it. (Not saying ALL POT smokers are fat and lazy) Passing a proposition like this is not good for the state of Colorado and Washington. DUI will sky rocket and sadly, so will death caused by car accidents. The right to smoke Marijuana will get abused by irresponsible idiots.
Every right is abused by some irresponsible idiots. That's not a very good argument against legalization.

And FTR, I'm in great shape.
Surely is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:10 PM   #46
leenak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
As a non drug user and non drinker, I think we spend too much money by trying to control the lives of people. The war on drugs is a failure. It seems that marijuana is relatively harmless, especially compared to alcohol. I see no reason to make it illegal. I would just hope smokers respect the right of others not to have to be exposed to their smoke.
leenak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:54 AM   #47
Mord
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
I would just hope smokers respect the right of others not to have to be exposed to their smoke.
As would I, I don't smoke either.

I would say though that as someone who's near those who do a whole lot smoke from a joint even mixed with tobacco isn't nearly as insidiously sticky or horrible smelling as plain tobacco smoke, at least to my senses. I still prefer it not being in my face but I'd genuinely prefer all the smoke that is in my locale to have weed in it.
Mord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:06 AM   #48
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

I hope this is challenged somehow , we are stooping low, so we fight for women rights, voting rights etc...... and now we fight for people to get high
thats a fight not worth fighting for..
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:38 AM   #49
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I hope this is challenged somehow , we are stooping low, so we fight for women rights, voting rights etc...... and now we fight for people to get high
thats a fight not worth fighting for..
So the tens of thousands who die every year in Mexico thanks to drugs being illegal isn't worth worrying about?

Its not as if prohibition ever works.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:57 AM   #50
iBlue
macrumors Core

Excellent! I hope The Feds don't infringe upon this. The so-called "war on drugs" ruins perfectly decent lives and it is such a waste of money, particularly with something like cannabis. I hope this leads the way to some facts-based policies, and not just in the states.

Quote:
So should I assume most people who drink will be abusive, alcoholic pricks that will drive drunk? Yes, that can happen but it is dealt with accordingly. In many respects, someone who is stoned is probably safer than someone who is drunk... certainly more productive the next day, too. Yeah, yeah, you disclaimered yourself with "not saying all...." but that's clearly a big enough concern for you to even mention it. It's a terribly pessimistic assumption. I've known some idiot stoners but I've known even more totally responsible, successful people who also smoke weed. None of them fat, by the way. It is very much down to the individual.

Last edited by iBlue; Nov 8, 2012 at 03:06 AM.
iBlue is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues