Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So you're accusing people of lying when they say the black is rubbing off like crazy even with normal wiping while babying it. Okay, whatever makes you feel better.

I don't get why people readily believe defective batteries, home buttons, etc. but they refuse to believe there's such a thing as defective anodizing coating.

Guess im just the luckiest person in the world, since I own, almost everything that Apple makes and I haven't once gotten a "defective" paint job.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Guess im just the luckiest person in the world, since I own, almost everything that Apple makes and I haven't once gotten a "defective" paint job.

I got lucky too (although my mother didn't), but I don't think we've ever seen such a large percentage of Apple product damaged out of the box thanks to the stupid factory workers and/or their supervisors who allowed them to slip past QC in order to meet the higher demand. If they would allow predamaged iPhones full of nicks and scuffs to make their way into retail, there's no reason to believe they won't do the same when it comes to screwing up the anodization.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Highly doubtful.

Yeah I haven't been abusing my iPhone. Just typical wear and tear. Haven't ever dropped it or anything. In fact when I sold my iPhone 4S (which was treated the exact same way) I was able to sell it in mint condition after about 11 months. They don't stand up to normal wear and tear.

----------

I got lucky too (although my mother didn't), but I don't think we've ever seen such a large percentage of Apple product damaged out of the box thanks to the stupid factory workers and/or their supervisors who allowed them to slip past QC in order to meet the higher demand. If they would allow predamaged iPhones full of nicks and scuffs to make their way into retail, there's no reason to believe they won't do the same when it comes to screwing up the anodization.
I wish I had gotten lucky too. Mine was defective right out of the box. Not enough to pitch a fit but it was like all of the sudden I looked at my phone and realized it looked like complete donkey butt. But by this time it was too late for a genius exchange.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
So sad she doesnt polish your shaft too :(

Shaft is not an a proper innuendo because there is no such thing as an iPhone shaft, so it can't have two meanings.

You could have said "So sad she doesn't polish your lightning connect too" :)

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Please don't do what that guy did in the video.

IMO it looks so terrible. Can you get apple care plus then break the phone and get a new one? I know some people things its wrong to do that but I personally just couldn't polish the bezel like that it looks terrible.

--------

Idea! Put a case?? A slick bezel case maybe??

timjohn77

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Batteries don't last more than a year or two before the life degrades.

I have to disagree with that part of your statement as I have owned a 3GS for 3 and a half years and to me at least there is no noticeable degradation of battery life.

As to the faulty anodization, I have put a bumper on mine after 2 weeks naked and paranoid :-0).
It's just a cheap $15 black rubber bumper with a "clearish" back, but at least I can now set the phone down without worrying about scuffing or scratching the back. I had a minor scuff when I unboxed my black 32GB iPhone 5 but nothing to bother with a replacement. After all, it's a phone not a piece of artwork.:) but it did make me a little scared about the ease of scratching it, hence, the bumper. A shame to have to cover up such a gorgeous looking phone IMHO.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah I haven't been abusing my iPhone. Just typical wear and tear. Haven't ever dropped it or anything. In fact when I sold my iPhone 4S (which was treated the exact same way) I was able to sell it in mint condition after about 11 months. They don't stand up to normal wear and tear.

----------

I wish I had gotten lucky too. Mine was defective right out of the box. Not enough to pitch a fit but it was like all of the sudden I looked at my phone and realized it looked like complete donkey butt. But by this time it was too late for a genius exchange.

I have the iPhone 4 and I agree. That thing might have been glass but boy was it durable!

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I have to disagree with that part of your statement as I have owned a 3GS for 3 and a half years and to me at least there is no noticeable degradation of battery life.

As to the faulty anodization, I have put a bumper on mine after 2 weeks naked and paranoid :-0).
It's just a cheap $15 black rubber bumper with a "clearish" back, but at least I can now set the phone down without worrying about scuffing or scratching the back. I had a minor scuff when I unboxed my black 32GB iPhone 5 but nothing to bother with a replacement. After all, it's a phone not a piece of artwork.:) but it did make me a little scared about the ease of scratching it, hence, the bumper. A shame to have to cover up such a gorgeous looking phone IMHO.

I always start to notice my iPhone battery life going down the tube after about a year or two, could be all the crap I load on it though.

----------

I have the iPhone 4 and I agree. That thing might have been glass but boy was it durable!

Extremely durable! As long as you didn't drop it more than 3 feet :eek:

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
I always start to notice my iPhone battery life going down the tube after about a year or two, could be all the crap I load on it though.

----------

Extremely durable! As long as you didn't drop it more than 3 feet :eek:

I think it depends on how it falls. I dropped mine on concrete once. Only a couple nicks.

Luckily, it dropped on the edge. No cracks. Nothing.

It feel about 5 feet.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I think it depends on how it falls. I dropped mine on concrete once. Only a couple nicks.

Luckily, it dropped on the edge. No cracks. Nothing.

It feel about 5 feet.

You're right, if it hits the corner it's a goner. If it lands flat or straight on the bezel it's usually fine.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Ive had mine in a bumper since day 1 and its really marked up from dust trapped under the bumper rubbing off the adonisation. A guy in the office has gone naked and his is perfect lol. But i cant see the marks when the bumper is on and at least it bounces when the kids drop it.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Please don't do what that guy did in the video.

IMO it looks so terrible. Can you get apple care plus then break the phone and get a new one? I know some people things its wrong to do that but I personally just couldn't polish the bezel like that it looks terrible.

--------

Idea! Put a case?? A slick bezel case maybe??

It's too late for Applecare, must be done in 30 days and you can only get applecare + after it's inspected by a genius.

----------

Ive had mine in a bumper since day 1 and its really marked up from dust trapped under the bumper rubbing off the adonisation. A guy in the office has gone naked and his is perfect lol. But i cant see the marks when the bumper is on and at least it bounces when the kids drop it.
Yeah, I bet a good batch just didn't get anodized properly and you and I both received one from that batch.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

Jony Ive personally put yours in a bumper? Unbelievable!

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
So I have decided that I will be going ahead with polishing my iPhone's bezel. I have done a ton of research and even called AppleCare to find out if this is considered an unauthorized modification that would void my warranty. Apple said that if paint is coming off on it's own and I rub the rest off it would not be considered a modification. They said that the older 3G and 3GS had issues with the Apple and writing coming off over time and people would be bothered and rub the rest off and it didn't affect their decision to warranty items for valid reasons. They suggested that for warranty purposes in the future that I don't mention sandpaper being used.

I will be posting pictures in this thread when I have completed the polish. :)

Vitrum

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
So I have decided that I will be going ahead with polishing my iPhone's bezel. I have done a ton of research and even called AppleCare to find out if this is considered an unauthorized modification that would void my warranty. Apple said that if paint is coming off on it's own and I rub the rest off it would not be considered a modification. They said that the older 3G and 3GS had issues with the Apple and writing coming off over time and people would be bothered and rub the rest off and it didn't affect their decision to warranty items for valid reasons. They suggested that for warranty purposes in the future that I don't mention sandpaper being used.

I will be posting pictures in this thread when I have completed the polish. :)

Are you going for full polish ??!! Go for a mirror finish ! Lol it will drive people insane when you bust that out on sunny days :D

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Are you going for full polish ??!! Go for a mirror finish ! Lol it will drive people insane when you bust that out on sunny days :D

I'll show you in a couple minutes... I'm about done and it's looking great so far, I'll put some pics up :)

rotkiv3451

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
You never posted the pictures

You never posted the pictures, what happened? Did it work? Did you do it on the front as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.