Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Click on an app in the App Store on your mini (portrait mode) and check out the small text which appears (e.g. in the Ratings and Reviews section) - is it me or is this really nice quality compared to Safari say at a similar font size? :confused:

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure I noticed a huge difference, but I do think Apple needs to optimize the font size for this device. I use the Atomic Web browser because it allows me to change and save the font size for individual websites. The Safari font size is just too small for comfortable reading.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Yes. Safari sucks in font rendering. Maybe that's why scrolling is much smoother on iOS than Android? Not sure.

Fonts look much better in the apple store.

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I think/hope this means there is potential for an OS update to improve the quality of small text.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I think/hope this means there is potential for an OS update to improve the quality of small text.

Instead of improving the quality of small text then how about eliminating it all together?

My opinion has always been that the lack of retina isn't what hurts the screen experience, it's the lack of a default for minimum text size.. Throughout the Mini you can see the UI and 1st party apps are ideal for a 9.7" tablet but a bit too small and jagged when scaled down for a 7.9".

Many 3rd party apps allow users to adjust text size so in apps like Kindle, Pocket, Flipboard etc then the default text is a bit small but the next size up looks great even without retina. So the fix isn't in new hardware, but an OS update that addresses text size.

This is a picture of the app store on the iPad Mini (back) vs iPhone 5 (front) where the iPhone text is actually bigger than the tablet text. Yes, the text is readable on both but it's far from ideal to have a 4" phone easier to read than a 7.9" tablet.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 156

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Instead of improving the quality of small text then how about eliminating it all together?

My opinion has always been that the lack of retina isn't what hurts the screen experience, it's the lack of a default for minimum text size.. Throughout the Mini you can see the UI and 1st party apps are ideal for a 9.7" tablet but a bit too small and jagged when scaled down for a 7.9".

Many 3rd party apps allow users to adjust text size so in apps like Kindle, Pocket, Flipboard etc then the default text is a bit small but the next size up looks great even without retina. So the fix isn't in new hardware, but an OS update that addresses text size.

This is a picture of the app store on the iPad Mini (back) vs iPhone 5 (front) where the iPhone text is actually bigger than the tablet text. Yes, the text is readable on both but it's far from ideal to have a 4" phone easier to read than a 7.9" tablet.

Yes. The next iOS update should have the UI settings.

For default button icon size:
small, medium, large

For default text size:
9pt to 24pt

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Eliminating small text is certainly an option, but if it can work acceptably in the app store (it's never going to be as great as a retina display of course), why not everywhere else?

----------

Just found out about the mercury browser. Try it out. Better font rendering and can change the default font size.
I did already try it, it helps in some sites for sure, but breaks others (especially forum post lists where text starts to overlap buttons) - as above though, just making the text larger may not be the answer.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008

I think there is a potential, but not sure if it's going to happen. It would mean the built-in app behavior is changed depending on whether it's running on a mini or not, and that kind of ruins the original argument of "iPad apps run unchanged on the mini"

I think the observations here are correct, and instead of everyone posting "iPad mini screen sucks" threads, it would be much wiser if everyone would start posting "Default text font and size in Safari on the iPad mini is not optimal for the screen" threads. Who wants to be the first to start? :)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Yup, a lot of my screen complaints could be solved with some kind of DPI slider in iOS.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I think the observations here are correct, and instead of everyone posting "iPad mini screen sucks" threads, it would be much wiser if everyone would start posting "Default text font and size in Safari on the iPad mini is not optimal for the screen" threads. Who wants to be the first to start? :)
last time someone tried (KittyKatta who posted here, in this thread, too), people were not getting the point.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1483173/
maybe a merge to not disseminate infos/posts?

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
I'd be disappointed to see this thread merged with that as my point is really different - the small text in the app store info section looks good. I don't know why, but it does! Obviously larger text looks better but I see "making everything larger" as a workaround rather than a real solution (apart from a retina display of course :) ).

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
the small text in the app store info section looks good. I don't know why, but it does!
I don't have an iPad at hand... one question: is it true in landscape too?
It could be related to the text anti-aliasing tactic used for iOS, or this specific app.

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Landscape is much better generally, even in Safari, so the difference between the app store and Safari is much less noticeable.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Ya, for web browsing in safari I usually flip to landscape on my mini, especially for a site like macrumors with lots of small text. It looks significantly better.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Landscape is much better generally, even in Safari, so the difference between the app store and Safari is much less noticeable.
no, I mean,
you're talking about the app store. I ask you if the size of font is the same in landscape for the reviews.
because of orientation changes capability, sub-pixel anti-aliasing isn't used on iOS.
text in Safari could be anti-aliased differently than in the app store (not even talking about orientation).

AndyGarton

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
no, I mean,
you're talking about the app store. I ask you if the size of font is the same in landscape for the reviews.
because of orientation changes capability, sub-pixel anti-aliasing isn't used on iOS.
text in Safari could be anti-aliased differently than in the app store (not even talking about orientation).
I think it is anti aliased differently. The font in the App Store looks identical to me in portrait and landscape. As you say, Safari doesn't seem to have the same capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.