Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Wow, judging from the posts here people are too invested Apple's legal issues and get way too bent out of shape about it.

Personally, I don't really care who sues who, who wins or loses, or what judge/court said what.

However, Apple's response in this case: Brilliant. I love it. Compliant, truthful, and with a twinkle in the eye.

For my part, I thought the court decision reasoning and subsequent order didn't make sense in this case. But hey, whatever. Fight the legal battles you wanna fight, just keep the cool stuff coming, Apple!

davidofak

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
You keep missing the point that the whole reason that Apple was forced to do this was because they went against the court's ruling and bad mouthed Samsung.

How would you describe Shamesong's behavior before, during and after the case in California in which 12 jurors ordered Samesong to pay 1 billion dollars?

Respectful, reasonable, not in contempt of court?

davidofak

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
no? (TLDR following)
here's some things that have happened in the last few months that might negatively impact stock expectations and put hesitation in wall street investment. Remember, wall street is based on speculation, so the stock price represents what investors Believe is on the horizon for Apple.

off top of my head some stories about apple that have popped up in the last month.

1: possible split of Samsung and apple for production of LCD technologies. if this does go through, possibility Apple will be left 15 million units a year production capability Short. Finding new suppliers to make up such a tremendous supply will not be easy, nor cheap.

2: USPTO invalidation of "bounce back" patent. This patent was a major cornerstone of all the Apple v _____ lawsuits. this patent was a major proponent of the 1 billion settlement in court in the US, in which 21 devices were believed by the jury to infringe. Without this patent, that is a tremendous reduction of possible damages and infringing devices and will require a serious look back at what damages were awarded.

3: inevitable appeal by Samsung in the USA due to inconsistencies during the Apple v Samsung case. From Jury issues that have been released (conflict of interest and potential lying jury foreman, to a judge who "overstepped her authority" by granting a preliminary injunction). That 1 billion settlement is anything but a sure thing.

4: Enough attention at new product launch that their most recent iPad mini is "overpriced". it has gained enough negative attention that both Tim Cook and Paul Schiller have had to publicly defend their price point.

5: I haven't finished pouring over the financials from 4th Q. but initial investigation shows that Apple is showing a general decrease in profit margins across the board from before.

6: see 5 for this caveat, but initial impressions did not show any real growth to Apple sales. I do understand that Sept numbers do not include new ipad sales, nor i believe iphone5 sales. But as of September, Apple did not increase sales of any product over previous Quarter. In fact, if you check the fancy chart, sales were pretty flat on almost all product groups except PC sales, which is not the majority of their business.

7: Apple has lost its #1 place in the mobile smartphone market. they might be the single largest single phone vendor in the past, but currently Android has more marketshare, and Samsung if it hasn't passed apple yet in total smartphone sales isn't doing to shabby. Apple hasn't made up much ground and is conceding more.

8: Apple is currently being seen as cutting ties with Google out of spiteful reasons and not smart business decisions. Pulling youtube and google maps off iOS6 has not entirely sat well (though it's subjective obviously), the Maps fiasco has not sat well with investors.

9: Foxconn strike, health and safety concerns, and possible quality control issues speak for itself.

These are just SOME of the negative stories that have come in the last few months regarding apple. there are more. some good positive ones are there, but it seems that right now Investor confidence has started to wane. In the summer after a tremendous unprecendented boom in Iphone4s sales. Sales numbers dropped of dramatically and did not remain high as predicted. Since Q1, when investors believed Apple should easily be worth $1000 / share, and the stock price was tracking towards $700 a share, we have suddenly seen the share price drop to todays (as of right now) $602 / share.

What this indicates is that Despite the previous confidence, Investors believe Apple, if it continues on the current trend will not be as valuable a company overall as they predicted.

Well said Lord. Now check back in 12 weeks and see if Wall Street still feels that way.

There is always a ton of FUD available and enough fools who believe the FUD to keep hedge funds et al in business. Prove you believe what you say by shorting AAPL.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How would you describe Shamesong's behavior before, during and after the case in California in which 12 jurors ordered Samesong to pay 1 billion dollars?

Respectful, reasonable, not in contempt of court?

Sorry - while I don't believe in blocking people - I do believe that people that resort to infantile responses including variations on the name Samsung aren't worth listening to.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Just read the statement and like many here I have to say it appears to me to be in contempt of court. The ruling didn't say justify your position by quoting other courts decisions. It specifically related to the UK court and an apology owed by Apple in the UK. I somehow think this will be bought to the courts attention by Samsung and we will be seeing a rewording after the court has reviewed that statement.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Well said Lord. Now check back in 12 weeks and see if Wall Street still feels that way.

There is always a ton of FUD available and enough fools who believe the FUD to keep hedge funds et al in business. Prove you believe what you say by shorting AAPL.

Don't have the money to play the stocks (new house costs :().

I also don't necessarily BELIEVE myself that shorting apple stock is a great move. there's more to it than that. But on the short term, you cannot fail to see that not everything from the Apple camp in the public eye is perfect.

We shall get a chance to see how Apple fares better financially after Q1 2013.

livingston

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Just read the statement and like many here I have to say it appears to me to be in contempt of court. The ruling didn't say justify your position by quoting other courts decisions. It specifically related to the UK court and an apology owed by Apple in the UK. I somehow think this will be bought to the courts attention by Samsung and we will be seeing a rewording after the court has reviewed that statement.

I'm sure someone had to approve it and Apple just didn't do it without someone okaying it.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I want to agree with this but I think if this were true eventually the price would come crashing (not a gradual devaluing) down. So I think this is something that can only be said in hindsight because if people are buying something at a price, isn't that what it's value is? Isn't that how a market works?

Lot of time big investors over inflate. Then as the stock is about to go down, or they think it will, they sell to the smaller guys who take the hit.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm sure someone had to approve it and Apple just didn't do it without someone okaying it.

Looks like Apple didn't get any type of a approval.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/nov/01/apple-samsung-statement?cat=technology&type=article

The UK court of appeal has reprimanded Apple over the wording of the statement on its website acknowledging that Samsung did not infringe the iPad tablet's registered design, and ordered it to put an altered statement on its homepage – rather than tucked away in a linked page – until 14 December.

Oh Apple....:eek:

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Oh look, someone's decided to be sarcastic and obnoxious on the Macrumors forums. What a surprise.

Reminds me of a laptop. Here is one quite similar from 2000

Yes, it is silver as well. In 12 years they have got smaller - but the overall layout is the same.

Some of the blind fanboy devotion to Apple is just creepy.

What?

Your response is sort of like.... if I said "this apple looks a bit like this apple" and you said "hurr, well here's a picture of an orange, that's a fruit too!"
It just.... doesn't even make sense.

Here I'll make it simple for you. Which of the following looks more like a MacBook Air?
Compaq-Presario-R3460EA.jpg

Y0ZBX.jpg

Exactly.

The Chromebook is a little thicker than the MacBooks, but the keyboard trackpad etc look nigh on identical. On first glance on a screen it looks very similar indeed (obviously you'd know the difference in the flesh as the Chromebook is a plasticy thing, but on a glance - which is still important to someone holding a design patent - you can see why Apple are shouting about this kind of thing with Samsung.)

I'm far from an Apple fanboy, and use an Android phone and tablet. But neither am I blindly devoted to the other side as you appear to be either. Open your mind. There's even 132 pages of leaked proof of Samsung's copying shenanigans right here: http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/8/3227289/samsung-apple-ux-ui-interface-improvement
Each part of that document basically boils down to "here's what Apple do. Here's what we do and why it's not as good. Directions for improvement: Do what Apple does."

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I'm far from an Apple fanboy, and use an Android phone and tablet. But neither am I blindly devoted to the other side as you appear to be either. Open your mind.

Er, I use an iPhone, an iPad and an iMac - I am hardly "blindly devoted to the other side"

The only side I am on is mine.

Laptops have got smaller and lighter - quelle surprise. Nothing obnoxious in what I have posted....you on the other hand.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Being sarcastic and calling me a blind fanboy isn't obnoxious? OK then.

(My point wasn't smaller and lighter, it was more the er "coincidence" in choosing exactly the same keyboard style and physical layout including how the arrow keys are spaced etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.