Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abfarris

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I am a novice at technology and would like to be able to easily watch movies and tv on my tv from my apple devices, as well as multiple formats on my apple devices.

I have a friend who lends me movies/shows on a flash drive/external HD and I would like to be able to watch them on the tv wirelessly as well as on my iPad mini (when it gets here). I also use Hulu and Netflix. (Currently I only know how to watch on my MacBook Pro and use a cord to mirror image onto tv)

What is the most simple way to watch multiple formats on tv wirelessly and on iPad?

Do I need to buy Apple TV? Smart device? Roku? Other?

Will I need to convert the video files? How do I do this? Easiest method?

Please help :).

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
Check out Plex Media Server. It allows you to use your computer as a media server and broadcast your media throughout the same network. You can then download the Plex App for iPad or iPhone and watch movies that way.

If you want to stream to your TV using an ATV, you'll need a jailbroken ATV2 to run Plex (ATV3 cannot be jailbroken at this time). OR, you can use the Plex app to watch a movie, then Airplay the movie to your ATV and watch it that way. A Roku WILL allow Plex to be installed, so that's another option if you do not mind leaving the Apple ecosystem.

In order to play movie files on an iDevice, they need to be .m4v. So, if the movies that your friend gives you are already in that format, then you could just copy them into your iTunes library, turn on HomeSharing, and watch them through your AppleTV. If they are not in .m4v, then you can convert them using Handbrake.

Basically, in order to wirelessly stream media, you need an AppleTV, Roku or something connected to your TV and some sort of media server running on a computer.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
If the OP has a newer MacBook Pro, couldn't the movies be mirrored through Airplay to the ATV without messing with jail breaking?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If the OP has a newer MacBook Pro, couldn't the movies be mirrored through Airplay to the ATV without messing with jail breaking?
Yes. But Airplay of video's can be hit or miss for good playback quality. It's really meant to be used to display your desktop, which is not very demanding. Once you start airplaying desktop videos you are really pushing the limits. Remember, Airplay converts (using hardware) output to h.264 before sending it to the aTV.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
If your tv has wifi capability, is DLNA compliant and your home wifi is fast enough you can use Eyeconnect or PS3mediaserver to stream files directly to your TV . The file types that can be played without conversion depends on your TV. I do this with my Sony EX645 which plays all the common file types including mkv. I no longer have to convert files with a handbrake. I have a Mac Pro 1.1 and an apple airport extreme base station router.

The interface is butt ugly but it works.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
The Apple TV excels at media gotten through iTunes or over Airplay. Another option not mentioned to to copy the files over to your computer. Convert them using handbrake to an Apple friendly format, add the new file to itunes on your computer, and watch it on your aTV via Home Sharing.

Personally, I have a WD Live I bought for $50 I use for things like your situation. It will play just about any file format you will come across. Just plug in the flash or hard drive and play it. It may sound strange to have two media boxes but it works for me.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Yes. But Airplay of video's can be hit or miss for good playback quality. It's really meant to be used to display your desktop, which is not very demanding. Once you start airplaying desktop videos you are really pushing the limits. Remember, Airplay converts (using hardware) output to h.264 before sending it to the aTV.

I didn't know this. Thank you. I haven't played with Airplay from my husband's newer MBP much yet.

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
I have a friend who lends me movies/shows on a flash drive/external HD...

Another thing I forgot to mention: you can "option-click" the files from the external HD and drag them to iTunes. Using the option key will not copy the entire file over from the HD, rather it will create a "link" in iTunes to that file. That way, your your computer's internal HD does not get overcrowded with movies, but you can still Homeshare the files to an AppleTV.

Another option not mentioned to to copy the files over to your computer. Convert them using handbrake to an Apple friendly format, add the new file to itunes on your computer, and watch it on your aTV via Home Sharing.

Definitely wrote that in my first post...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.