Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
So instead of updating iOS to make it more functional, apple decides to update so you can buy more apple products. Awesome.

That's the name of the game, ain't it?

Ever get a demo of Apple TV at the Apple store? They show you how awesome it is, most especially at how awesome it is to buy media from Apple.

Apple knows what it is doing. And many customers don't. It is a marriage made in heaven.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Mark my words, iOS 7 is going to have third-party Siri support.
It will definitely be interesting. With the possibility of tons of various apps having particular features being controlled via Siri, I wonder what phrases we will have to use to activate "third-party Siri" so that there won't be confusion between the similar tasks of different apps.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Open the phone app, dial *3001#12345#* and press call. This will take you into the hidden Field Test app which shows cell diagnostic information. To keep the RSSI display, hold the power button to get the 'slide to turn off' switch, then let go and hold the home button instead. This will quit the app but keep the indicator. Once you've done this, you can tap the indicator to switch between numbers and bars.

You don't need to be jailbroken to do this, but you will have to repeat this procedure to get the numbers back if you restart the phone.

Just tried this on my iPhone 4. It worked! Thanks so much!

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
May i drag this conversation back to Passbook for a moment?

(EDIT: earlier question resolved, so deleted)

What's the Passbook splash screen supposed to look like? the only place i can "go" from the screen Passbook opens on is to the App Store. Is that how it's supposed to work--you're taken to a screen showing you (and giving access to open) the apps you've acquired within passbook, AND all the other apps you COULD elect to buy? It hardly seems right. I'm sure i'm doing something wrong. :)

I'm a little late to the party here, but no on else seems to have answered you so I figure it's worth mentioning anyway..

If you don't have any passbooks, when you load passbook it shows you that screen you're seeing that will end up taking you to the app store to download apps that support it (or some of them anyway).

If you actually install an app that has passbook support, there will be an option to "Add to Passbook" or something similar. Once that's done, when you load the passbook app you'll see any passes that you have.

The easiest way to see what it's like is to go to http://www.passsource.com/ from your phone. You can generate a sample pass and add it. You can even add your latitude/longitude when you make the pass and it will show up on your lock screen automatically!

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
"If you actually install an app that has passbook support, there will be an option to "Add to Passbook" or something similar. Once that's done, when you load the passbook app you'll see any passes that you have."
Thanks zero9.
I linked my Starbucks card (account nickname "joe", let's say) to passbook and it shows up in pb but with a sorta computer generated nickname. Maybe I bought the $25 card b4 creating nickname, but I don't think so. Is there a way to manage nicknames in PB?
Btw, passsource looks great, but its usefulness is really for biz's wanting to create their own card, but not so much for consumers, right?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Thanks for clearing that up. So 0 is the highest it can go?

I don't think in practice you'll ever see signal strength higher than -60 or so (this from both personal experience with this new feature over the past 24 hours :p as well as some Googling).

Others are welcome to chime in and correct me.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
I don't think in practice you'll ever see signal strength higher than -60 or so (this from both personal experience with this new feature over the past 24 hours :p as well as some Googling).

Others are welcome to chime in and correct me.

yeah I actually took a pic. I was outside with LTE full coverage and still at -109

Didn't understand.

But now i'm back inside at work and its at -100 on Edge

So... in other words I have no idea how to read this

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So... in other words I have no idea how to read this

Some more quick Googling revealed this link:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25921-this-is-why-your-verizon-nexus-signal-sucks/

It's not directly relevant to the iPhone but it does give some definitions. Maybe it'll be helpful.

Again, I'm NO expert on this subject.

My take is that these numbers are all kind of relative so I'm just using my own observations of how high and how low I've seen my own numbers go so I can give myself an idea of how strong my signal is.

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Some more quick Googling revealed this link:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/25921-this-is-why-your-verizon-nexus-signal-sucks/

It's not directly relevant to the iPhone but it does give some definitions. Maybe it'll be helpful.

Again, I'm NO expert on this subject.

My take is that these numbers are all kind of relative so I'm just using my own observations of how high and how low I've seen my own numbers go so I can give myself an idea of how strong my signal is.

Thanks. I'll look into it. I like the numbers more for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.