Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
So far I've bought two adapters to try and fit a 2.5" SSD in my MP 1.1, they're both pretty poor to be honest and crucially they both lack the holes to screw it to the MP's drive sled.

Any recommendations?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I've run into similar problems before, foolishly buying cheap 2.5" to 3.5" adapters at local computer stores, without bothering to check the Mac Pro's mounting hardware first. <facepalm>

Other World Computing sells a 2.5" to 3.5"adapter specifically for the Mac Pro. It's not cheap, but it will do exactly what you want.

EDIT: Damn and blast, that's not going to work with your system. Your best bet would be an Icy Dock, also available at Other World Computing.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I have early 2008 mp.
For a long time my solution was lots of blue masking tape but I have finally said enough is enough.
I ordered the metal tray for like $30 when they had the sale on fb SIMM ram and upgraded from 16 to 24 GB at the same time.

E2008 I had for two years and I plan in keeping for a few more.
Now if I can get a cheap video adapter to run a third display...

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
So far I've bought two adapters to try and fit a 2.5" SSD in my MP 1.1, they're both pretty poor to be honest and crucially they both lack the holes to screw it to the MP's drive sled.

Any recommendations?

EDIT: Damn and blast, that's not going to work with your system. Your best bet would be an Icy Dock, also available at Other World Computing.

^^ This.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Icy Dock is your best bet for 2006-08 machines. The OWC adapter is only made for 2009+ Mac Pros, which have physically longer drive sleds/rails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.