Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
Is the flickering issue that many people here have bad enough that you wouldn't recommend buying the new Mini until it's resolved? I have a Mac Pro 1,1 that I'm looking to replace, and I'm going to be doing mostly Photoshop work.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I was just reading the mini forums today and I think for now, if you can wait, I would hold off. I'm not sure how widespread the issue really is myself, but I would wait.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
If it's an actual defect you'll know and you can return it. I purchased 2 in a two week period and both work perfectly (contemplating a third) so I'd take complaints here with a grain of salt .

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
The thing is when people have problems, they start looking for an solution. When you are satisfied, you are less likely to look for forums to get a solution. That's why most people here seem to have this problem when only a few have it in reality.

And even if you're unlucky - you can either return it for a other model or - if it's not too bad - wait for a software update. You have 1 year warranty, after all.

alexdd

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
And even if you're unlucky - you can either return it for a other model or - if it's not too bad - wait for a software update. You have 1 year warranty, after all.
If it's hardware problem ,how it's possible that there is a software fix?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
If it's hardware problem ,how it's possible that there is a software fix?

This reminds me of a very similar issue I had with my march 2009 macbook pro.

When using the integrated 9400m chip, the screen would intermittently blink. Usually only the top half of the screen. It never happened when switched to the discrete 9600gtm chip.

For months and months, it went on; no resolutions on the support site, and no responses from Apple. Since my laptop was nearly 3 years old I figured it would never be fixed.

Then, out of the blue, Apple releases a firmware update. For 3+ year old notebooks. That completely solved the problem!

The moral of the story is-- it could very well be a software issue, you just might need to wait a few years. :D

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
This reminds me of a very similar issue I had with my march 2009 macbook pro.

When using the integrated 9400m chip, the screen would intermittently blink. Usually only the top half of the screen. It never happened when switched to the discrete 9600gtm chip.

For months and months, it went on; no resolutions on the support site, and no responses from Apple. Since my laptop was nearly 3 years old I figured it would never be fixed.

Then, out of the blue, Apple releases a firmware update. For 3+ year old notebooks. That completely solved the problem!

The moral of the story is-- it could very well be a software issue, you just might need to wait a few years. :D

How awful.

I had to sell my 2010 iMac with the ATI 5750 graphics card because of screen tearing when zooming in and out using cmd + scroll.

Basically when I zoomed in and out.......the edges of windows I had open spilt into two!!!

And I even did a clean install........and everything else you could think of but it never got fixed.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
For what I've seen, anyone using a screen directly connected to the Thunderbolt/Mini Display port doesn't get any flickering or black screens problem. (Me included)

So this should be a software problem related to the HDMI port. I don't think all HDMI ports are hardware faulty, mainly because these gotta be the ones they've been using for ages now.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
For what I've seen, anyone using a screen directly connected to the Thunderbolt/Mini Display port doesn't get any flickering or black screens problem. (Me included)

So this should be a software problem related to the HDMI port. I don't think all HDMI ports are hardware faulty, mainly because these gotta be the ones they've been using for ages now.

Correct. It seems to be hit or miss with what monitors and/or televisions people use. most likely it is some kind of handshake issue with certain displays. For every person that has a problem, there is 1-2 others who chime in stating they are having no problems. In the end a MDP to HDMI adapter for less than $10 (see monoprice or amazon) will fix the problem as long as you only need one monitor (or you could always get a MDP to HDMI splitter from Zotac for about $50 if you want to run 2).

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
This seems to be true in my case. I am using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.

I am still seeing the color problem, however.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Keep in mind that while plenty of people here are complaining about the issue, the majority of users aren't having any issues. It just appears that issues are more widespread on a forum like this as everyone with a problem comes to complain while thousands with no issues aren't posting to say they're just fine.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
But the people that aren't going to the forums may fall into another category:

1) Unaware that they have the problem (mac used as a headless server).

2) Do not care that they have the problem.

3) Have the problem but have not yet complained about it.

4) Aren't using the HDMI output.

Keep in mind that while plenty of people here are complaining about the issue, the majority of users aren't having any issues. It just appears that issues are more widespread on a forum like this as everyone with a problem comes to complain while thousands with no issues aren't posting to say they're just fine.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Also has it been confirmed that it is happening on both Core i5 and i7 Models?

Might be another thing worth looking into. I have Core i5 running HDMI to HDMI and not having the problem.

knight1

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
London,UK
I was also sceptical about why are users reporting problems when I've never experienced any until it happened to me. I expected this from a machine running Windows not Apple.

I got my Mac Mini on tuesday (30th Oct.) and had no blink/snow effect until 5 days later on Sunday.
Now it just happens randomly when I'm watching videos on youtube or vimeo, sometimes nothing will happen.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Correct. It seems to be hit or miss with what monitors and/or televisions people use. most likely it is some kind of handshake issue with certain displays. For every person that has a problem, there is 1-2 others who chime in stating they are having no problems. In the end a MDP to HDMI adapter for less than $10 (see monoprice or amazon) will fix the problem as long as you only need one monitor (or you could always get a MDP to HDMI splitter from Zotac for about $50 if you want to run 2).

Yeah, an adapter should do it. I can understand people not wanting to buy an accessory to make something work when it should work out of the box. :/

This seems to be true in my case. I am using a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter.

I am still seeing the color problem, however.

Mmm. Can't help you there. My screen is from Apple so no adapters involved. Maybe it's just a calibration issue? Refresh rate?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I have a mid-Mini 2.6 coming in next week, and if the issue is not resolved in the 2-week return period, it's going back to Apple.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Definitely not a calibration issue, although myself and others have been using other calibration tools to compensate for the bad output. There have been too many complaints for people's displays to suddenly be in question.

I'm just hoping that if this "flickering" matter is put to rest, so will the color problem and they are not two separate things.

Mmm. Can't help you there. My screen is from Apple so no adapters involved. Maybe it's just a calibration issue? Refresh rate?

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
The "crushed whites" and poor color issue is different from the flickering and blackouts issue.

Monitors with poor color, text fuzziness, etc., are more than likely miscalibrated or running in TV mode (they are overscanning or underscanning).

The flickering and blackouts are directly related to the Intel HD4000, as the same problems did not occur, or occurred with insignificant frequency, with the HD3000.

Note, Apple just released a graphics related update for the Air and Pro, so one may follow for the mini:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609

shinji

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 18, 2007
In the end a MDP to HDMI adapter for less than $10 (see monoprice or amazon) will fix the problem as long as you only need one monitor

But some people are still having the problem when using MDP, right? It just seems more common with HDMI, I guess because more people are using HDMI/DVI.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
I would hold off for another few weeks...i was gonna buy one yesterday until i read all these reports...till then it's back to using the old ibook.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
But some people are still having the problem when using MDP, right? It just seems more common with HDMI, I guess because more people are using HDMI/DVI.

99% of the reports I see are directly hdmi. The general consensus to fix is the MDP to hdmi adapter. I'd say the 1% who still have problems with the adapter is either user error or a bad adapter. Seems to fix to many others' problems for it not to be a valid fix... Just my .02 worth. I don't own a 2012 mini since I own a 2011 and going to wait for haswell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.