Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by CNET, Apple has tweaked its international sites to remove code that automatically pushed footer text including a court-order acknowledgment that Samsung had not infringed the protected iPad design in the UK below the scroll unless the user's browser window was extremely tall.

apple_uk_samsung_order.jpg
While Apple has used such vertically responsive design before to automatically adjust page layouts based on browser window size, its use on the company's international front pages (but not the main apple.com page) was seen as an effort to hide the notice on its UK page.

The international pages are now using the same layout as the main apple.com site, alternating between the iPad mini and the fourth-generation iPad as featured products and keeping a static layout. Previously, images within the iPad mini feature linking to the keynote and product videos automatically moved to underneath the feature section as the browser window was made taller, pushing the footer text where the Samsung acknowledgement was out of view unless the page was scrolled.

Article Link: Apple Removes Code Hiding Samsung Court Order on UK Website

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I understand the need to be protective of your design but if a Judge delivers a verdict you should be adult about it and just place the damn notice clearly instead of acting like a smart arse teenager.

Practice what you preach and grow up Apple.

The Judge isn't treating Apple like a child by giving this order which so many Macrumors readers naturally leap to assume, it is simply that the Judge felt Samsung didn't infringe on Apple's iPad design and that as a result of the court case Apple tarnished Samsung's reputation given the media attention.

When brand reputation is a MASSIVE part of your business model then it needs to be protected. If it were the other way around then I'm sure the Judge would have demanded the same of Samsung given the reliance of both companies on brand reputation.

I won't comment on the merit of the decision as I, simply put, am not a Judge.

Last edited:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
I understand the need to be protective of your design but if a Judge delivers a verdict you should be adult about it and just place the damn notice clearly instead of of acting like a smart arse teenager.

There was nothing wrong with what apple did. They just put a quote that the judge said over the court order... I fail to see anything wrong with that. Freedom of speech, for the win.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I understand the need to be protective of your design but if a Judge delivers a verdict you should be adult about it and just place the damn notice clearly instead of of acting like a smart arse teenager.

Geez, just do it right and get it over with. The sooner they comply, the faster this will all go in the past and be forgotten.

apple stop playing games and man up!

Did you guys even read the article?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

Aren't they following the verdict?
The judge is a lawyer also and should have clearly stated how the court order should be executed.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
There was nothing wrong with what apple did. They just put a quote that the judge said over the court order... I fail to see anything wrong with that. Freedom of speech, for the win.

They broke the court order, the court explicitly told them what to put on the note.

And it has nothing to do with free speech, they can say what they want wherever they want EXCEPT in the court order

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Did you guys even read the article?

Sure did, Apple have tried to neutralise the verdict in a previous notice by using jest full word play, then they tried hiding the notice by altering page layout.

All signs of Apple refusing to abide by what the ruling required. It was a simple demand of the court that should have been executed without this farce.

Did you even read the article(s)? ;)

----------

No

bayxsonic

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Guys, seriously? Even on an Apple forum you don't realize that that behavior has been there for a while and it's on every website besides the US?

The Mexican Apple.com still has the old flexible layout for the iPhone 5, what are they hiding?
http://apple.com/mx

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

to be fair, it was a pretty stupid ruling. fine them and move on. it's a company, not a child.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.