Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I've been looking at purchasing this 13" MBA (2011) on eBay by refurbished_outlet. Supposedly this is a Apple Refurb and they are an official reseller. Has anyone had experience with this person and how reliable they are? $919 shipped seems like a steal when Apple wants $1049 for the same exact unit + tax. I've noticed on Amazon and MacMall that the 2012 model NEW is $1099 OTD, but after looking at the Geekbench scores, I dont see the value for speed between the two. What does everyone think? I will only be keeping the Air until next June when the new Haswell rMBP gets released & will upgrade from there.

I am looking at the Air for portability & college reasons, as my 16.4" Sony (7.5 lbs) is not portable enough.

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...99151953?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item460906cf51

And another link showing Certified Apple Refurb Macs:
http://stores.ebay.com/Refurbished-...4960018&_sid=1133255218&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Last edited:

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
It may be legit, but I personally wouldn't trust it. I would only buy Apple refurbs from Apple's refurb store.

I hear you man! Its a great buy IMO, but if it isnt legit, I would definitely spend a little more cash to get the peace of mind. I would just like to hear from a couple people who have had personal experience.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
From what I read, an AUTHORIZED Apple dealer is not allowed to give you any appreciable discount on Apple products. They may give you a "sweetener" like free accessories.

lordboogie

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
check your local best buy store's open box section on their website. you can most likely find a current generation i5 1.8, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD for roughly the same price.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
check your local best buy store's open box section on their website. you can most likely find a current generation i5 1.8, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD for roughly the same price.

They dont have any Apple computers open box currently. :confused:

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Hmm.. I think I may have got my pricing incorrect. Apple has the 13" MBA 2011 model for $919 on their site, which is the same exact price as the eBay link. I guess the eBay link is legit after all since it matches Apples site.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I think they (reseller) buy from Apple's refurb sit and send it to you. But if they do this.....how are they making money? Anyone wanna take one for the team? :D

The only advantage to doing this is saving on the taxes, which in Missouri is about $58. But $58 is $58!

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Just how lucky to you feel? IMHO, purchasing a sweatshirt on Ebay is risky, anything more costly than that is not to be considered. The relentless pursuit of saving a dollar or two has cost many many a whole lot more than that saved.

I personally would never purchase unless I could meet the seller in person, see, feel, and touch the product being sold, and review the seller's purchase receipts (can you say "stolen"?).

If you want a refurb that is safe to purchase and has a warranty, purchase from Apple.com.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Just how lucky to you feel? IMHO, purchasing a sweatshirt on Ebay is risky, anything more costly than that is not to be considered. The relentless pursuit of saving a dollar or two has cost many many a whole lot more than that saved.

I personally would never purchase unless I could meet the seller in person, see, feel, and touch the product being sold, and review the seller's purchase receipts (can you say "stolen"?).

If you want a refurb that is safe to purchase and has a warranty, purchase from Apple.com.

That is why you use PayPal with your credit card.

Plus if you even read the item description: "Returns:14 days money back, free return shipping"

Not much risk involved imo.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That is why you use PayPal with your credit card.

Plus if you even read the item description: "Returns:14 days money back, free return shipping"

Not much risk involved imo.
Using PayPal definitely helps, and this seller might indeed be legit. However, anyone can claim 14 days money back. Whether or not they honor that is another matter. If they are a scammer, it would be simple to lie about a return policy, to make buyers feel comfortable. A guarantee is only as good as the guarantor.

I'm sure there are many legitimate and reputable vendors on eBay. When it comes to buying a refurb Mac, I'd feel much more confident buying it directly from Apple, even if it means spending a bit more.

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
$919 vs. $919 .. tax or not.

Buy from the Mothership. You know what you're getting, the eBay seller is using generic clip art. Not a representation of the actual product shipped. It may be a Geeks.com like "manufacture refurbished" item. Brown box, item only, nothing else. At least they show you that fact. These guys are hiding their product like fake bacon at the store. In a non-see through package.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
$919 vs. $919 .. tax or not.

Buy from the Mothership. You know what you're getting, the eBay seller is using generic clip art. Not a representation of the actual product shipped. It may be a Geeks.com like "manufacture refurbished" item. Brown box, item only, nothing else. At least they show you that fact. These guys are hiding their product like fake bacon at the store. In a non-see through package.

I would like to agree with you, but if you click on the second link, eBay itself is advertising that this is a Apple Certified Refurb...not the seller. Again, eBay is also the one saying this is 'Official'. If you clicked the links, you would've seen that my friend.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
While shopping around, I found a open box 2012 MBA at Best Buy for $957, with tax $1029 OTD. Not sure if the Integrated graphics from the 2011 to the 2012 is worth the $100? Is the 2011 Sandy Bridge processor as good as the 2012 Ive Bridge on the i5? Any real noticeable difference in the two? Geekbench scores give the 2011 a 5,266 and the 2012 6,108.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.