Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Be more adult? Are you kidding me??

The whole thing sounds like my wife telling the kids "Now you two sit there on the sofa, hug each other for 5 minutes and tell each other you love the other"

It's all juvenile. Forcing an apology? This judge is ridiculous

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
to be fair, it was a pretty stupid ruling. fine them and move on. it's a company, not a child.

It's the perceived damage by the Judge to the Samsung Electronics brand. This is why Apple have been ordered to prominently display notice of the ruling.

It's not about them being treated like a child. It is simply that the Judge felt Apple had tarnished Samsung's reputation given the media attention.

I won't comment on the merit of the decision as I, simply put, am not a Judge.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Geez, just do it right and get it over with. The sooner they comply, the faster this will all go in the past and be forgotten.

The silly thing is that it all started with only the requirement for a tiny link that no one would even notice.

Instead it ends up being a big apology that's hard to miss.

There was nothing wrong with what apple did. They just put a quote that the judge said over the court order... I fail to see anything wrong with that. Freedom of speech, for the win.

Quoting the judge wasn't the problem.

Apple also added a bunch of comments that were worded in such as way as to make it sound like Samsung was banned for infringing the iPad design in other countries.

Not only is there no such injunction currently in place, this and the other trials were about the 2004 Community Design, NOT the 2010 registered iPad design.

That's what got them in trouble (again).

It's all juvenile. Forcing an apology? This judge is ridiculous

Apple themselves had demanded before trial that Samsung should be forced to post an apology if they lost. The judge took that into account. Turnabout is fair play.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
wwjd...

I wonder how Steve Jobs would have handled this UK court order? :cool:

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I see nothing wrong with this.

Apple has published the statement, hasn't it? It's on the main Apple.co.uk webpage, right?
What's the problem if people have to do a simple scroll-down in order to see it? Should Apple just replace the iPad mini/iPad 4 spot with the statement? Should Apple.co.uk lead to a whole webpage dedicated to that statement?

This is becoming ridiculous.
It's fine as it is. Apple did what was requested and that should be that.

Gullando

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I dont get why the UK court was silly enough to rule in Samsung's favour.. As Apple pointed out other courts of law ruled in Apple's favour..

Yet another brilliant choice by the UK....

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I dont get why the UK court was silly enough to rule in Samsung's favour.. As Apple pointed out other courts of law ruled in Apple's favour..

Can you point me any single court that has stated that Samsung tablets infringe Apple community deseigns or design patents?

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012

even if the judge is a tit a court order is a court order, if you commit a crime in another country your dealt with by their system.
Steve Jobs would have to do the same he's not above the law in fact he's not above anything

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
The silly thing is that it all started with only the requirement for a tiny link that no one would even notice.

Instead it ends up being a big apology that's hard to miss.

Quoting the judge wasn't the problem.

Apple also added a bunch of comments that were worded in such as way as to make it sound like Samsung was banned for infringing the iPad design in other countries.

Not only is there no such injunction currently in place, this and the other trials were about the 2004 Community Design, NOT the 2010 registered iPad design.

That's what got them in trouble (again).

Apple themselves had demanded before trial that Samsung should be forced to post an apology if they lost. The judge took that into account. Turnabout is fair play.

I did not realize this, thanks. Then yeah, it's fair.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Does anyone besides the court actually care about this anymore lol? Seems like Apple just worked it out in their favor. More page views and attention on their site.

"And while you're here to read our court ordered statement, why not checkout our line of iPads? Can we interest you in a smart cover?"

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I understand the need to be protective of your design but if a Judge delivers a verdict you should be adult about it and just place the damn notice clearly instead of acting like a smart arse teenager.

Practice what you preach and grow up Apple.

The Judge isn't treating Apple like a child by giving this order which so many Macrumors readers naturally leap to assume, it is simply that the Judge felt Samsung didn't infringe on Apple's iPad design and that as a result of the court case Apple tarnished Samsung's reputation given the media attention.

When brand reputation is a MASSIVE part of your business model then it needs to be protected. If it were the other way around then I'm sure the Judge would have demanded the same of Samsung given the reliance of both companies on brand reputation.

I won't comment on the merit of the decision as I, simply put, am not a Judge.

Wholly $h!+

common sense on macrumors!!!!

----------

Its a court order, there is only one way to handle it.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Steve Jobs was a decent man, he wouldn't be playing with things like that. Apple is becoming a joke.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
You guys might not think its related but I dont think stuff like this and stories about AAPL dropping 20% is unrelated. Public perception of Apple is changing. And not for the good. (I Still think there is money to be made and bad press to change but Apple has to change first)

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Apple took a bit of text that no one would have every even paid attention to, and instead managed to make it a newsworthy item on a couple different occasions.

What a publicity machine!
A bit misguided, but getting publicity none the the less.

Eriden

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
Wholly $h!+

common sense on macrumors!!!!

Despite the battles between the pro and anti apple crowds, common sense does show up here, occasionally.

Finding common sense on AppleInsider? THAT is an impossibility.

Wordman

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010

"Yet another"?

The UK ruled in terms of its own laws, not those of another country. And as such, it was able to make its decision independently. It would have been disappointing if they had said "Ooh, let's just do what everyone else did".

Wasn't it Apple that preached about not following the pack with the 1984 ad?

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
A little petulant on Apple's part.....get over yourselves and comply in the spirit of the judgement, you'd expect Samsung to do likewise if the particular legal spat had gone in your favour.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
There is absolutely no reason that any company should be required to do this. Any company, or individual for that matter has the right to file suit. The court saw fit to hear the case, so it's clearly not some frivolous lawsuit and it wasn't an abuse of the courts--if it were, they could have thrown it out.

When you file suit, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. In this case Apple lost. OK, fine, let the lawsuit end so both parties can go about their business.

A judge ordering a company to post a message like this is simply punishing them for exercising their rights. Losing the case (and all the financial issues that accompany that) should be enough.

This judge is sending a message, and it says: Don't sue people, don't try to protect your property. If you lose, not only will you lose the case, but you'll be publicly shamed for even trying.

Apple should have simply refused to comply with the order entirely. What is this judge going to do, demand extradition of Tim Cook from the US so he can do jail time for not saying he's sorry?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.