Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mogsie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
:confused:Hi All,
Can anyone confirm or deny that the new iMac 21.5" comes with the "Fusion Drive" system as standard or is an added extra?

mazakii

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
:confused:Hi All,
Can anyone confirm or deny that the new iMac 21.5" comes with the "Fusion Drive" system as standard or is an added extra?

It'll be optionalm, says on the website. Extra £200 or $250 for the mac mini. Going to be similar price for the iMac I expect.

Mogsie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
iMac Fusion Drive.

Thanks garrize,
I really like the idea of the "Fusion Drive", but am concerned on increasing the cost of a new iMac by adding on extras. I am new to the Mac world having recently purchased an iPad. I absolutely love it and am now looking to replace my old desktop PCM with the new iMac 21.5".

Mogsie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Fusion Drive

Thanks for your replies,
Not sure if I can justify the extra cost, hopefully the standard system will be good enough? Now I just have to find the Spends.....

EPiCDiNGO

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
This "Fusion drive" that Apple are trying to push onto customers rather than offering any SSD options only a huge 750gb option that will nearly double the price of the iMac is a joke. What they are basically doing is making u make pay £200 for a 128 SSD then making it "fused" with software. I can buy a 256gb Samsung 830 SSD £130 so why would i want to pay £200 extra for this tiny SSD? :mad: I understand Apple love to bump up the price on extras but charging 3x the amount for such a small drive what is useless to me since I want the SSD to be able to work on bootcamp but once u use the fusion drive and install bootcamp it uses the standard hdd partition for windows and ignores the SSD drive, This leaves me with very little option but to ONLY buy the 750gb SSD :mad:

Last edited:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Fusion drive just seems to be a stop gap measure before SSD's come down in price albeit one that allows Apple to bump their profits by grossly overcharging for such a small SSD....no change there then. It's all smoke and mirrors.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Real men use the 768G SSD drive anyway. Not this cheap crap fusion drive. Kills performance over SSD anyway.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
You want proof that a single SSD setup is faster than a combo SSD with a plater disc? You are kidding right?

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Don't need to be in the big leagues to see that an SSD drive is always gonna be faster than an HDD. 10%? So your the kind of guy that believes the little pictures Apple throws you at keynotes?

Software solutions are always gonna be taxing on the system no mather what. CoreStorage is not ZFS yet.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I really wish they would give us all the prices now so we can all price up our machines. I think I will have to go for the 1TB fusion drive though because I would rather spend the extra money on upgrading the processor and graphics card.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
People know Apple's pricing policy. Its not like they are gonna give you free upgrades?

50$ more or less on a 3k machine is not a show stopper.... Ok for the 768G SSD that will be priced very high but for the others options everybody and their brothers know that its gonna be between 200 and 300 (insert your currency here).

unknownx

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
I'm wondering...

I'm gonna buy the new iMac 21,5 with Fusion Drive 1TB.

Is it possible to install Windows 7 or 8 on Bootcamp, without an optical drive?

If a have the Windows iso-file on my computer? Usb-stick?

I dont wanna buy an external drive just because Apple removed it.
Maybe in a few years they release an iMac with no hardware, same price. And let everyone buy the hardware too

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
People know Apple's pricing policy. Its not like they are gonna give you free upgrades?

50$ more or less on a 3k machine is not a show stopper.... Ok for the 768G SSD that will be priced very high but for the others options everybody and their brothers know that its gonna be between 200 and 300 (insert your currency here).

The “only” group of people concerned about pricing is the one who need configuration between insufficient and unaffordable.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I'm wondering...

Maybe in a few years they release an iMac with no hardware, same price. And let everyone buy the hardware too

If you have an iso file, Bootcamp Assistant should allow you to create a USB stick with Windows and the Bootcamp Drivers to install from.

As I understand it Windows will be installed completely on the hard drive, not the SSD part, when using Bootcamp on a computer with Fusion drive.

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
The “only” group of people concerned about pricing is the one who need configuration between insufficient and unaffordable.

With Apple, if you are concerned about pricing maybe your buying your computer at the wrong place.

Apple computers have ALWAYS been overpriced compared to other computers (if you are only comparing physical pieces and not the total package). Same thing with the upgrade parts. If you can't afford 200$ for memory upgrade or for graphic card upgrade then buy a PC and live your life stress free!!!

Geezzz i laughted the first time i saw somebody writing that people where gonna bring their imacs to Starbucks to show off but this is getting scary.

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
With Apple, if you are concerned about pricing maybe your buying your computer at the wrong place.

Apple computers have ALWAYS been overpriced compared to other computers (if you are only comparing physical pieces and not the total package). Same thing with the upgrade parts. If you can't afford 200$ for memory upgrade or for graphic card upgrade ...
I rarely saw more elitist posts, even on this forum.
You paying $300 for the RAM that I buy for $87 makes you somehow better? :D

...then buy a PC and live your life stress free!!!
Thank you, that is what I do.
I am here just for fun.:)

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
I rarely saw more elitist posts, even on this forum.
You paying $300 for the RAM that I buy for $87 makes you somehow better? :D

Thank you, that is what I do.
I am here just for fun.:)

Your taking the one thing that is user upgradable (at least on the 27). I'm talking about the ones that are not.

So no that doesn't make me better but people get upset with Apple upgrade prices ... This is NOT news .. they ALWAYS have been overpriced. Either you pay or you don't. The choice is that simple. Its like the guy buying a Porsche (not comparing Apple to Porsche) 100k and then saying what is the price for the ceramic brakes ... WHATTT 10k!!! No thanks!!

For the not upgradable parts the choice is easy. Its x amount. Do i need it? Yes or No. Total cost = x Can i afford x? Yes i buy. No i don't buy and wait until i can buy it if i still need it.

For the parts that are upgradable the choice is also rather easy. Its x amount. Does that upgrade cost is less then my time is worth? Yes, then i pay. No, then i do myself.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

It's all the $50 extra here, there and everywhere that make up the iMac. Lovely computers but Apple are getting ever greedier.

mojothemonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
I'm wondering...

WHY is everyone so hung up about the optical drive. Do I need to do a simple google search and find you dozens of simple USB external DVD/CDRW drives for UNDER $20. You buy this ONCE, pull it out to use it that one time a year when you need to install on operating system or old software, and SHUT UP about it forever. God... whiners.

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012
Your taking the one thing that is user upgradable (at least on the 27). I'm talking about the ones that are not.
I took it from your post above: “If you can't afford 200$ for memory upgrade…”
... Its like the guy buying a Porsche (not comparing Apple to Porsche) 100k and then saying what is the price for the ceramic brakes ... WHATTT 10k!!! No thanks!!
But you ARE comparing Apple to Porsche! You probably (don’t know much about Porsche) can’t get their “ceramic brakes” anywhere else.
The Apple however charges you triple for the parts you can get on every corner, but you can’t use them because Apple makes it difficult (or impossible) to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.