Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
How about a decent desktop computer?

I'll give you the iPhone one. The iPod/iTunes is debatable but you can take that too.

But iPad changed PCs? How?

The iMac is a decent desktop computer. We have people here using them for graphics/after effects/3D, etc. They only use Mac Pros for high end long rendering now because the iMacs are completely capable of doing mid to even high range graphics/motion/3D other then hollywood type stuff. We have editors editing on them in Premiere, FC7 etc. It's is a fully capable machine. Dont fool yourself or let others tell you otherwise. As for gaming...I wouldnt buy it but that is such a small % of the population that Apple will never cater to.

They already announced a new Mac Pro coming in 2013 that is completely redesigned 100%.

In terms of the iPad and PC...are you kidding me? Go look at PC sales since the iPad has come out. It's already been pretty much proven that the iPad has cannibalized Dell and HP sales because most people realize they dont need a desktop..or even a laptop..they never did. The iPad does everything they need.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/09/04/charlie-wolf-apples-ipad-is-clearly-cannibalizing-pc-sales/

http://bgr.com/2012/09/04/ipad-cannibalizing-pc-sales-analyst-charlie-wolf/

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Do we need to be fanboys/sheeps to be here? Do we have to have the same opinion.

I love my Macbook Pro Retina, I love my iPhone, I love my freedom of speech and I hate the kool-aid.

The fact that he doesn't have ur same opinion on whoever or whatever doesn't mean you have to disqualified his opinion or mine.

Those posts of his aren't rendering an opinion, they're trolling. No one who knows anything about aapl would talk about nibbling on aapl at $200. That's beyond silly. It's inflammatory, and he deserves to be called out fir it. Same thing when coming on this site and taking a dump on SJ. Now maybe this is how he amuses himself between lunch and recess but it's far from worthwhile commentary. BTW, this has absolutely nothing to do with "freedom of speech," which involves government action.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I have always found it odd that a company takes such a market hit for not meeting analyst's expectations. Even if those expectations are not reasonable. It should consider the company's stated goals, and ability to meet or exceed those goals, as well as reasonable market performance as measured against competitive peers. Apple has a stellar quarter, with profitability any company would dream of, and they get wracked for "not meeting expectations", thus hammering everyone's stock. This gets them in the news for declining value, further driving down shares, and so on. It's a "Catch 22".

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
It's Jobs

I know this is almost cliche, but I really think Apple is losing the edge that Steve maintained. Apple either has to stop revolutionizing things and settle or they need to keep reinventing things that need reinvention. iPhone 5 was an upgrade, iPad mini is a catch-up with competition. iPad 4th gen is a sign of panic that pissed of many iPad 3 owners. The fact that they are upgrading some iPad 3 owners has nothing to do with it.

TV and cell services need reinvention. Cable/Satellite/Cell companies have a worked in system of how to make you pay for things that you don't need.

I also believe that Apple is the only reinventor that can breathe in the cool into electric cars.

If they keep upgrading like for the last year or so, their edge will be lost for sure. They either need to have a collective vision to match Steve's or find someone to replace him.

The marketing system they are using has also become boring and transparent. Just like "I am Mac" commercial, this system needs to go.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
did anyone else see the rest of the stock market. Obama is anti wall st.... stocks plummeted yesterday because the country is in serious trouble with this man. its not apples fault...

This is pure FUD. The stock market was actually up pre-opening because of the election and tanked because of Apple and a few other tech stocks dropped.

Don't make this a political thread. And read a little more about the actual reasons the market fell yesterday instead of taking facts out of the air.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
The % drop is greater than in previous years.

Additional factors:

-Some people prefer bigger screens (I do!)

-Android 4.1+ is much more stable and faster than previous Android generations (In terms of quality, IMO they caught up with Apple)

-Simultaneous voice & data on CDMA networks is supported on every LTE phone except Apple's. (Cmon Apple!)

-Google Maps and turn by turn is superior

-Google voice functions are far superior (your words appear on the screen as you talk)

-Apple's innovation is slowing down (Where's the Apple TV?)

-Markets are saturated with plenty of Apple products

If I were to do it over again, I'd spend $350 on the upcoming Google Android 4.2 phone vs the $750 I spent on the iphone 5.

Garbage. As an Android owner... a Motorola Razr Maxx... I was NEVER so frustrated with a phone in my entire life.

ANYONE that says Android has a superior OS is absolutely lying to themselves to make them feel better.

I switched to an iPhone 5 and there is NO comparison. NONE.

Don't buy into the Android hope or you'll get burned by the experience.

That said... everyone is entitled to get burned equally.
Enjoy!

:cool:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Like everything that goes up, it goes down at some point. Sometimes this is a great thing. It pushes people hard to innovate and change. Maybe that's where is Apple going through now.
All of the products announced this year were an evolution and lots of people are expecting revolution. It might take longer now because Steve is not around us but I am sure they will have great things moving forward.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
iPad 4th gen is a sign of panic that pissed of many iPad 3 owners.

Doubling the processor speed of your product is a "sign of panic?" :rolleyes:

Good grief. If Apple doesn't upgrade, they are "stagnant." When they do upgrade, they are "panicking." With rational thinking like this, I weep for the future of humanity.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Man, people have too much time. Stocks are bound to decline. They can only go so high. And plus, wait till they rise back up again and these same guys will jump on the "Apple is amazing" bandwagon

A 20% drop is hugely significant

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I smell stock shorter. Keep scheming. Check Apple's P/E sometime. Then take a look at AMZN. See you at $800.

You realize that Apple and Amazon are two different companies, right?

Who knows where the Apple stock will go. But the mighty Titan isn't without kinks in its armor.

Several have been listed. And then there's this too

http://southerndailypress.com/loyalty-of-iphone-users-down-in-recent-survey/25306/

Insignificant? Perhaps. But perhaps also telling.

----------

Your experience.

Mine is different. I have both the iPhone 4S and Samsung Skyrocket. I find them both the same in usability. Both have their up and downsides. Neither one is "superior" to the other - as that is PURELY subjective.

I'm not lying to myself. Is that what you're really going to accuse anyone with an Android phone of?

Garbage. As an Android owner... a Motorola Razr Maxx... I was NEVER so frustrated with a phone in my entire life.

ANYONE that says Android has a superior OS is absolutely lying to themselves to make them feel better.

Enjoy!

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I guess their infatuation with "Slimmer" has bled over to their stock price. I believe, while not obvious to most, that their obsession with making products slimmer and giving up core and needed functionality and usability is taking a toll. Slimmer is nicer but they need to slow down as most people do not care about 3/16 of an inch if it means its more expensive and less productive.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I'm a bit nervous. I debated wether to sell some at 650 but decided against it as I felt it would still go higher. Now it looks like I may have made a mistake as not only is it trending down it now also looks like the capital gains cut not going to be extended into next year.

Hold on to it. It'll soar past 800 before the middle of February.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010

Enjoy!

Oh, I bought it. Opened it up, and used it! I agree that when a carrier overlays their crapware, the user experience suffers. Try a pure google phone or one from Samsung. Samsung seems to be on top of the quality. Motorola, not so much.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Here we Go the result of letting "B" people get control, Tim Cook seems the guy who only works from 9 to 5, go home and farts money just because he can afford it, he does not care about how to improve the technology, he only cares about pleasing everyone, you can see that by his presentations of every launch, he only explains numbers and sales, not the main reason of the event, THE PRODUCT.

you want to know why Steve Jobs handled the company like he used to?, is as simple as he was "in the cold mine", he was right there were the action happened, you may call it micro managing, but if that´s what it took to get Apple where is now, so be it.

The "magic" of Apple resides in small groups without communication between each other, that´s the true meaning of the hole secret aura, to maintain the vision of what is THE best way to improve a product, not just because they didn´t want leaked stuff, which by the way this year alone had so many products leaked than the entire Steve Jobs era.

like i´ve said before, Tim Cook is the new Jhon Sculley, an example? here it is, he is confusing people even at Apple making changes, and launching products like there´s no tomorrow.

Apparently you know nothing about either aapl or Tim Cook.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Issue: Most of Apple's income comes from the iPhone and iPad.

So what do Apple do? Try and take out the competition. Not make their products better - try and sabotage their rival instead. Classy.

Make the products better, and the customers will come back.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Enjoy!

I still laugh at the people who say they can do so much more with their Android phone then with their iPhone...when I ask what...their usually response is..

1. I can change the icons/UI
2. I can hack it

Two things the majority of people out there don't care about.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012

Who knows where the Apple stock will go. But the mighty Titan isn't without kinks in its armor.

Several have been listed. And then there's this too

http://southerndailypress.com/loyalty-of-iphone-users-down-in-recent-survey/25306/

Insignificant? Perhaps. But perhaps also telling.

----------

Your experience.

Mine is different. I have both the iPhone 4S and Samsung Skyrocket. I find them both the same in usability. Both have their up and downsides. Neither one is "superior" to the other - as that is PURELY subjective.

I'm not lying to myself. Is that what you're really going to accuse anyone with an Android phone of?

Absolutely. When it comes to the average consumer experience there is no contest. iOS is simpler, more intuitive, full of quality apps and overall a pleasure to use. Period.

It may not have all the bells and whistles that Android has... like "animated" backgrounds etc but they are battery drainers and mostly unusable a day after you try them out.

There is a reason WHY Apple has the #1 customer satisfaction of ALL smartphone users. It works and works well.

Geeks don't make up the demographic of iPhone users. Not even close.

Take your "spin" to the 9to5Android forums. Sir.

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011

Sure they are but at the end of the day they are both businesses and need to make profits. Amazon has a ridiculous PE and eventually needs earnings to reflect and hold that PE which is never going to happen. I would hate to be holding that stock when people wake up to themselves.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Hold on to it. It'll soar past 800 before the middle of February.

Doubtful. They will have a blockbuster holiday qtr, however markets price the stock based on far future potential, not just the upcoming 1 or 2 qtrs.

When everyone who wants an iPad or iPad mini buys theirs by Christmas, what else is there to buy from Apple?

A retina mini or lighter/thinner iPad 5 won't quite cut it anymore.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
With the Retina MBP, the iPad Mini and the iPhone 5, what more could you want from Apple? I think these are the best products ever, and I've never seen any other company doing anything like that. Don't see why there would be a problem here.

Retina MBP: Very few people will pay the price of admission for this, assuming most people need more than 128gb of hdd space.

iPhone 5: Sorry, people like a bigger screen. Also, the UI has fallen behind. A screen filled with icons and folders is ugly compared to the nice hardware.

iPad Mini: Worst resolution of all 7" tablets. 2 yr old iPad 2 hardware inside. High price.

This all equals lower sales.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Anyone who freaks out about a 20% drop in AAPL hasn't been around the stock for longer than 2 years. Those fools deserve to miss out on the gains we long-term investors have enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy). I bought AAPL the day after a single-day 50% drop. Not long after it had dropped another 50%. Wish I had bought more then. Holding the stock long-term and not panicking at every 2-bit naysayer and market manipulator has been the best financial decision I've ever made. The stock shorters are laughing at you. Then they'll buy at artificially-low prices and make a killing on the upside. People are being played for chumps.

You want stock bubble? Look at Amazon.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
when someone posts this optimistic prediction on a public forum like this, it is a signal of stock peak and time to sell.

Apple is already the largest tech company. The only way to go is down, not up.

See me in February.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.