Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolitaryHowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Hi,

I'm having an issue I was hoping could be solved here.

Let me start out with system specs first.

Mac OSX 10.6.8 / Windows XP Pro (bootcamp)
Macbook Pro (2006 Aluminum body)
2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

I've noticed NoScript (firefox addon) has been notifying me of sites like "smartsuggestor.net", "dealply.com", and a few others on ALL websites I go to.

I've tried the following:

- Scanning with Clam Xav 2. No viruses.
- Reinstalling NoScript
- Turned on built in Firewall in OSX (is it really needed with NoScript + Little Snitch?)

Let me say this: I KNOW VIRUSES AND SPYWARE FOR MACS ARE REALLY RARE, but it is not impossible for them to get it.
I'm concerned maybe it picked up something from my Windows XP. My Windows XP is in NTFS format, so I don't transfer files back and forth directly - I go through an external HDD.

I have not pirated any programs.

So, my question is simply this: Are there any anti-spyware programs for Mac? Or, if its not malware, does anybody know what the problem could be?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Let me say this: I KNOW VIRUSES AND SPYWARE FOR MACS ARE REALLY RARE, but it is not impossible for them to get it.
I'm concerned maybe it picked up something from my Windows XP.
There are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild, and the only way to get spyware on your Mac is to install it yourself, or give someone else access to your computer to install it. Windows malware cannot run on or affect Mac OS X.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. If you're running Mountain Lion, check your Gatekeeper settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow applications downloaded from. For more information on these settings: OS X: About Gatekeeper

7. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

8. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

9. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

10. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

SolitaryHowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
I already knew all of that after reading up on it. But prevention is worthless if your computer is already infected.

And, before anybody suggests it, reformatting is not an option, I have no time do so right now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I already knew all of that after reading up on it. But prevention is worthless if your computer is already infected.
If you already knew all of that, you wouldn't be asking if your Mac was infected with spyware. I encourage you to go through the numbered steps in my post.

SolitaryHowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
I read up on it after I figured out my computer may have a problem, not before. If I would have known about this stuff before, I wouldn't have had a problem.

If it is not spyware, what do you think is causing these scripts to repeatedly come up on NoScript? Again, they are on ALL sites, not just a select few.

I read online they may be a type of shopping or information 'stealing' thing. Are they even a concern if I block them using NoScript? (Little Snitch doesn't detect anything out of the ordinary)

EDIT: I also emptied my cache and ran the 'automated feature' using Onyx. Didn't help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If it is not spyware, what do you think is causing these scripts to repeatedly come up on NoScript? Again, they are on ALL sites, not just a select few.

I read online they may be a type of shopping or information 'stealing' thing. Are they even a concern if I block them using NoScript?
Check your Firefox add-ons. Some initial web searching suggests one or more add-ons may be the culprit. If you have them blocked with NoScript, they cannot affect your Mac.

SolitaryHowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Check your Firefox add-ons. Some initial web searching suggests one or more add-ons may be the culprit. If you have them blocked with NoScript, they cannot affect your Mac.

The only Firefox addon I have installed is NoScript.

SolitaryHowl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Okay.

Is there a way I can tell NoScript to not notify me (the yellow bar that appears at the bottom is annoying) when only those 'problem' scripts come up? Sort of like an 'ignore them forever and don't tell me when they are blocked' option?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay.

Is there a way I can tell NoScript to not notify me (the yellow bar that appears at the bottom is annoying) when only those 'problem' scripts come up? Sort of like an 'ignore them forever and don't tell me when they are blocked' option?
I use JavaScript Blocker on Safari, so I can't help you with that. You might check NoScript preferences or search the developer's forum or post a question there. Or perhaps someone here who uses it will reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.