Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Except that it's really neither. Too big to be a great tablet, too small to be a great laptop.

This is for the very narrow segment of the market that needs a digitizer built into a powerful OSx tablet.

An Apple made version ipad style of this would be perfect for me, id rather osx on my ipad than ios. I realise this isnt perfect for everyone tho and at that price they will struggle.

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I think if the Microsoft Surface Pro does well, Apple will go down this path as well...some people like the full OS for what they want

Will never happen. That design is only for the kind of people that put a huge case and attached keyboard on an iPad and think it's a new form of laptop and really do not understand what a tablet is all about

You know, like the tablets made for ~2 decades before the iPad

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would probably never actually shell out the cash for one, but theoretically, this is awesome. I always wanted the old modbook but felt it was underpowered, but now this seems to be a pretty powerful solution for a niche market. If you use a wacom Cintiq display regularly, this might be a good option for work on the go!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is interesting - though it still falls into 2 of the 3 reasons I would never buy a Surface Pro:

1) Its big and heavy
2) Its super expensive (this is more value proposition for me rather than pure price point)

The third doesn't apply here - the Surface Pro runs Windows!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Kinda wish they'd mod a retina MBP. I can't afford one at these prices, but I'd like to play around with someone.

It surprises me that the people who say the iPad isn't powerful enough aren't saying that this is what the iPad should've been. But what can I say?

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I think it's great that they're finally releasing this thing - it's been what, 6+ years? - and it's great that they've upped the specs, tho I think people waiting for it would agree they'd rather actually get one sometime soon than anything else ;)

Not for me, but then it's not my industry. Should be cool when it launches.

masterpace

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Montreal
Oh my goodness! I don't know on which planet those guys are living, but 3.5K for a tablet to start with is freaking expensive. Also, have you noticed guys how much it weights? 5.5 lbs? Are you kidding me? The 2.8K MBP retina 15" I just bought is not only lighter than this "tank" tablet, it blows it out of the water in terms of performance and display quality. Plus, it's a genuine Mac with all the good Apple support.

Sure, that tablet is a good "proof of concept". I just don't think there's any market for it, except for curious guys who want to grab some "exotic" piece of hardware.

Renzatic

Suspended
Found a better source of the quote. “You can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user.” - Tim Cook

Except this isn't converging a toaster with a fridge. This is giving people who want to use a stylus on a full PC powered tablet device the option to do so.

These aren't disparate things. They fit quite well together.

cytomatrix

macrumors member
May 21, 2009
Odd comments. This isn't supposed to replace your ipad people. This is for artists who use Wacom drawing tablets. A different market.

Although if someone would just invent a half decent stylist for the Ipad, we might be able to work around this for much cheaper. :)

Right.. This is somehow better than wacom cintiq.

Renzatic

Suspended
This is interesting - though it still falls into 2 of the 3 reasons I would never buy a Surface Pro:

1) Its big and heavy
2) Its super expensive (this is more value proposition for me rather than pure price point)

Eh? The Surface Pro is only half a pound more than the iPad. Not exactly big and heavy. It will be expensive, though not nearly as much as this thing.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Not really sure why they even bother. It never took off even before the iPad and now with the iPad out, there is little that it can do better. At that price they're going to have a very hard time getting buyers. Might be time to just call it quits.

This is a niche product that already has an established customer base. This company probably measures success as hundreds of units sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.