Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Lets play a little game called "help joe figure out his network"

I just cant seem to wrap my head around what will and wont work so someone help me out if here if you can. But like any game, there are rules. So lets get started!

First the players: 2011 iMac, 2 black macbooks, ipad, 2 iphones, 2 apple tvs
The equipment: 500gb Time capsule (not sure what gen it is and the HDD is dead so really its an airport extreme now), new Time capsule (yet to be purchased), gen1 airport express

The situation: I have my computer on one side of the a family room and want to set up the network for the fastest internet possible as well as the fastest network possible in accordance with the equipment listed AND the following rules. Additionally on side 1 of the room I HAVE to have the fios box, it cannot be moved and the computer cannot be put on that side of the room due to furniture constraints. So those 2 pieces of equipment are locked into their location. Also one of the macbooks does heavy data traffic to the iMac.

The Rules:
1. NO the computer cannot be connected to the wired internet network. I cannot run cabling or move the location of the fios box and I cannot run network cable across the room.

I have a scenerio I am thinking will be the best, but before I see that info, I am looking if anyone else can come up with some ideas.

Any questions, please ask and Ill do my best to answer. Thx!!!!

Last edited by maflynn; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed offer to pay
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
I just cant seem to wrap my head around what will and wont work so someone help me out if here if you can. But like any game, there are rules. So lets get started!

First the players: 2011 iMac, 2 black macbooks, ipad, 2 iphones, 2 apple tvs
The equipment: 500gb Time capsule (not sure what gen it is and the HDD is dead so really its an airport extreme now), new Time capsule (yet to be purchased), gen1 airport express

The situation: I have my computer on one side of the a family room and want to set up the network for the fastest internet possible as well as the fastest network possible in accordance with the equipment listed AND the following rules. Additionally on side 1 of the room I HAVE to have the fios box, it cannot be moved and the computer cannot be put on that side of the room due to furniture constraints. So those 2 pieces of equipment are locked into their location. Also one of the macbooks does heavy data traffic to the iMac.

The Rules:
1. NO the computer cannot be connected to the wired internet network. I cannot run cabling or move the location of the fios box and I cannot run network cable across the room.

I have a scenerio I am thinking will be the best, but before I see that info, I am looking if anyone else can come up with some ideas.

Any questions, please ask and Ill do my best to answer. Thx!!!!

You could get something like this.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...ing-kit-review

This will give you a good solid wireless link across the room.
JoeBlow74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3
peeaanuut
Banned

ahh, forgot to clarify that point. This isnt for the home theatre. The TV and an apple tv are on that side of the room with the fios internet box, so thats not an issue.

And to the mods: apparently werent not allowed to do **** on this forum anymore so ill offer the obligatory "the ipad mini sucks ass and im gonna troll everyone" and "apple is dead after steve jobs" because apparently thats what the forum is coming down to.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:06 PM   #4
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

That setup is not just for home theater. This setup is a dedicated WIFI bridge for super fast point-to-point data connections. Did you read the review? This gives the highest sustained throughput from a wireless connection. Read the review. I almost got this setup, but then I just ran some cat 6 under my house and hardwired everything.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:27 PM   #5
peeaanuut
Banned

I read it but I just didnt get it. Well, I guess I got it, but couldnt understand how it was different, other than being faster, than what I have now. Or maybe I just dont understand how those different than a router when it seems they do less. I guess I just dont get what they do.

that article had a lot of asides and what not that made it very hard to read.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
peeaanuut
Banned

I realized that I didnt explain my current situation good enough.

I was transfering data from the macbook to the imac, but since both were on wireless it was slow. So could I connect 1 time capsule to another time capsule and then hardwire everything into 1 time capsuel and have that side of the network be faster for device to device connections?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

The set comes with two wireless bridge units. Each has a 5 port ethernet switch on the back. What this setup does is creates a superfast point-to-point wireless link between the two. You place one unit on one side of the room and the other unit on the other side of the room and you will get a high speen wireless link that will be as fast as a wired connection. No cables running on the floor. The key thing is that this setup sustains your data transfer at top speed all the time. there is a dedicated hardware/software system inside to give you low latency with high data throughput. You plug your fios into one unit and your computer into the other unit and your computer will have a super fast data link through the wireless bridge. Do you understand. This is different than a WIFI router or AP. Since you already own a Time Capsule, or are planning on getting a new one, you can use that for your IOS devices and when people come over to visit.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:06 PM   #8
skorpien
macrumors 68020

Assuming your FIOS box is a modem/router, I'd set the new Time Capsule as the primary one in bridge mode running simultaneous dual-band (802.11n only on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies, up to you if you want to give each a unique SSID). Then connect the old TC to the new TC's LAN port and configure it in bridge mode as well, making its SSID 802.11b/g/n for all your other devices.

If your FIOS is only a modem (or has routing disabled), then disregard the part about setting the new TC in bridge mode.

All of your faster devices can join the new TC's SSID(s) and your slower devices can join the old TC's SSID.
skorpien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #9
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Picture the San Francisco Bridge in your head. On one side you have Golden Gate Park and the other side you have the city. The bridge acts as a conduit so people can get from point A to point B. The Netgear set creates a wireless bridge that can sustain high data traffic with low latency.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpien View Post
Assuming your FIOS box is a modem/router, I'd set the new Time Capsule as the primary one in bridge mode running simultaneous dual-band (802.11n only on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies, up to you if you want to give each a unique SSID). Then connect the old TC to the new TC's LAN port and configure it in bridge mode as well, making its SSID 802.11b/g/n for all your other devices.

If your FIOS is only a modem (or has routing disabled), then disregard the part about setting the new TC in bridge mode.

All of your faster devices can join the new TC's SSID(s) and your slower devices can join the old TC's SSID.
Yea, but he wants to have a fast wireless internet connection from across the room without running any wires and moving furniture. Atleast I think that is what he wants.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:20 PM   #10
peeaanuut
Banned

ahhh!! I get it now. Why they just didnt call it a bridge is beyond me, I dont get marketing I guess.

So now, if everything on one side is wired the speeds between them will be at gigabit right? for file transfers and back ups right?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:28 PM   #11
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
ahhh!! I get it now. Why they just didnt call it a bridge is beyond me, I dont get marketing I guess.

So now, if everything on one side is wired the speeds between them will be at gigabit right? for file transfers and back ups right?

I dont think it will be gigabit speeds, but they have been benchmarked and they will stream a HD quality movie. You will never get gigabit speeds with wireless. If you look at the throughput on this picture it show a sustained throughput. This is important when transfering files with WIFI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	netgear_wnhdb3004_xmit-rcv_loca_1hr.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	375933  
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:47 PM   #12
peeaanuut
Banned

im asking more if I plug in 2 computers to one side of the bridge wired, will I get the gigabit wired speed between those 2 as the wireless shouldnt be involved at that point?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:33 PM   #13
JoeBlow74
macrumors regular

Yes, you should get a gigabyte wired LAN if you plug both computers into the bridge.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:12 PM   #14
peeaanuut
Banned

Excellent!

Thank you for the help.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals