Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
London
Having read so much crap about the ipad Mini I was expecting it to be "unusable" "terrible" "awful" .....

Well I'm a bit late to the party but went and used one for the first time today....and its fine!...very very acceptable, looked at photos, watched a movie segment, checked some ibooks and surfed the web.

Yes its not quite as sharp as a retina full size model but its really not a big issue, are these people complaining getting paid by Samsung or something?

Stuff your poor color gamut where the sun doesn't shine, I'm buying one.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Having read so much crap about the ipad Mini I was expecting it to be "unusable" "terrible" "awful" .....

Well I'm a bit late to the party but went and used one for the first time today....and its fine!...very very acceptable, looked at photos, watched a movie segment, checked some ibooks and surfed the web.

Yes its not quite as sharp as a retina full size model but its really not a big issue, are these people complaining getting paid by Samsung or something?

People just like to whine and moan like babies. Especially on these forums.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011

I like your style, as well as your choice in TV series. +1

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
suites you, doesn't suite me

everyone is different, my friend (and i tried it at the apple store twice)

don't tell me to stuff it

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Yep. It blows my mind how much people bash the Mini when it's really a pretty good device.

I've had a 3 and 2 for together for a while, and often use my 2 just for reading because it's lighter. So I sold the 2 for a Mini.....now I have just as good a screen but TRUE lightness and portability.

Sure, I'll get the retina mini when it's ready. But happy as a clam until then.

S

syd430

Go back to the apple store and try and view this site - in portrait mode.

Then, try and read a couple of threads, write a few posts, edit a few of your posts with fiddly errors in the middle of paragraphs. Good luck with navigating through that blurry mess.

Then, try and view a site like theverge (portrait mode, don't forget), nytimes, bloomberg or smh.com.au . Oh yeah you can't actually read anything on their homepages.

While you're at it.. Try and write a few documents and edit a few spreadsheets. Nope not happening.

Now....

Go grab an ipad 4, again hold it portrait mode (with no cases or covers attached) open up a split keyboard and move it 1/3 up the page to use as a thumb keyboard. Then,try and do all the above things... It does them all effortlessly.

I get almost better workflow on my ipad than I do on my laptop. That's including text input, with no accessories.

IMHO all these people that are praising the mini do nothing but watch a few movies and send a few iMessages. Nothing wrong with that if that's all you need it for, but lets be clear - the larger iPads blow it out of the water for getting any real work done on it

Last edited by a moderator:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I love the Mini. Tried it twice but the apps I like don't allow you to make the font large enough. So it's just no use for me. And retina won't be either unless they introduce scaling of some kind.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Then, try and read a couple of threads, write a few posts, edit a few of your posts with fiddly errors in the middle of paragraphs. Good luck with navigating through that blurry mess.

Then, try and view a site like theverge (portrait mode, don't forget), ny times or smh.com.au . Oh yeah you can't actually read anything on the homepage.

While your at it.. Try and write a few documents and edit a few spreadsheets. Nope not happening.

Now....

Go grab an ipad 4, again hold it portrait mode (with no cases or covers attached) open up a split keyboard and move it 1/3 up the page to use as a thumb keyboard. Then,try and do all the above things... It does them all effortlessly.

I get almost better workflow on my ipad than I do on my laptop. That's including input.

IMHO all these people that are praising the mini do nothing but watch a few movies and send a few iMessages. Nothing wrong with that if that's all you need it for, but lets be clear - the larger iPads blow it out of the water for getting any real work done on it

Try and hold your ipad with one hand while reading a book in bed for over an hour... Your arm hurts right?

Now... Do this same with an iPad mini. Better huh?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Then, try and view a site like theverge (portrait mode, don't forget), ny times or smh.com.au . Oh yeah you can't actually read anything on the homepage.

While your at it.. Try and write a few documents and edit a few spreadsheets. Nope not happening.

Now....

I get almost better workflow on my ipad than I do on my laptop. That's including input.

Holy crap! :eek: Why didn't this get any press! The iPad 4 has a bigger screen that the iPad mini!?!?! WTF is Apple trying to pull! They should at least allow you to zoom into specific sections of the webpage on the iPad mini so the articles are bigger. Or allow you to switch to landscape mode if the text is too small in portrait. Or allow you to enable reader mode so the text size can be adjusted. Or...

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008

Then, try and view a site like theverge (portrait mode, don't forget), nytimes, bloomberg or smh.com.au . Oh yeah you can't actually read anything on their homepages.

While you're at it.. Try and write a few documents and edit a few spreadsheets. Nope not happening.

Now....

I get almost better workflow on my ipad than I do on my laptop. That's including text input, with no accessories.

i can't do detailed design research on the mini. it's just not technically capable for examining detailed schematics and art

the mini is a casual device only, but a very fun casual device

S

syd430

Holy crap! :eek: Why didn't this get any press! The iPad 4 has a bigger screen that the iPad mini!?!?! WTF is Apple trying to pull!

They're trying to pull the ol' shoehorn-an-OS-deigned-for-a-9.7"-tablet-into-a -7.9"-tablet-with-zero-optimization trick.

Don't worry, people won't notice that they can't actually view half the web on it in portrait mode until they leave the store.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I know I wouldn't have a problem with the Mini screen. I do have a problem knowing there's a high probability we'll see the Mini 2 before June. :p

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
They're trying to pull the ol' shoehorn-an-OS-deigned-for-a-9.7"-tablet-into-a -7.9"-tablet-with-zero-optimization trick.

Don't worry, people won't notice that they can't actually view half the web on it in portrait mode until they leave the store.

Keep up the FUD!

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

You really are full of it, I still struggle with "experts" like you pontificating like some ancient sage, but actually posting like a hysterical teen.

"Blurry mess" "can't actually read their home pages" do you exaggerate like that in the real world?

Just FYI, portrait mode on the Mini

83473b871de8e907d775ba65a8f112ac_zps6303819f.jpg

Home page of smh.com.au

6308ce4b778def49ed950d3ac60a1ac6_zps6c9262e2.jpg

Heavens above! It's a miracle! My eyes can see right through the blurry mess!

quincy164

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Too Small for Me

I bought an iPad 4 and felt maybe the mini would be better. I stopped by the Apple store and spent 15 mins with the mini and it is just that...mini.

Screen looked fine, quality was great but the screen was just too small with the viewing compromised.

I'm glad they make both devices as they serve different needs in good ways.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
i can't do detailed design research on the mini. it's just not technically capable for examining detailed schematics and art

It depends very much on your use. I use it as the ultimate portable and reliable access to the stock-market when I am on the move, which is almost daily. I can just put it in my pocket of my coat, sit down in a cafe and enjoy a nice coffee, watch the markets, read, do some research and trade. Nothing casual about it, this is how I earn my money. I found that having with me at all times is, for meat least, th biggest advantage.

MacPod

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012

Of course it's "technically capable" of doing those things. You're using words incorrectly. It just doesn't do so in a way well suited for you. Fair enough, but when you make broad statements like that, of course you deserve to be told to shove it.

You complained earlier about being told (generally, not personally) to "shove it", then you spout nonsense like this.

The iPad mini is whatever you make of it. It's not a "casual device only" (what does that even mean) for everyone.

----------

It's the same 1024x768 resolution as the existing iPad 2 that Apple currently sells. Not entirely sure how it's supposed to be any more of a problem on the mini than on the 2.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
suites you, doesn't suite me

everyone is different, my friend (and i tried it at the apple store twice)

don't tell me to stuff it

Defensive much? :rolleyes:

At least you tried it (twice!) before saying it's not for you. So many others on here are using exaggeration about their (supposedly) new minis, that they've felt compelled to run back to where they bought them so they could (gleefully) return them. All these people (not including you in this) imply or outrightly state we who find the mini to be anything from acceptable to wonderful are morons and idiots. I suspect a lot of those people are Samsung shills, or just opportunistic Apple haters.

How'd you like the form factor, btw?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I went out and bought an iPad 4 and now it just sits around while my mini gets all of the attention.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010

That's great for you, seriously, but the screen is plum terrible to me. Thanks for telling me to stuff it, but the screen of your mini still looks like garbage.

----------

Now....

This.

Also, the larger iPads are better for entertainment. The iPad Mini was built on the cheap to satisfy that segment of the buying population. If you like it, that's great, but just stop trying to say it's the best iPad just to justify your purchase. Clearly, on all fronts, it is not the best iPad.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012

Couldn't agree more. I was kind of worried what the screen was going to be like with all the negative reviews.

It's a great device.

richorlin

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007

If you want to get "real" work done, use a laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.