Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pixelmator.jpg
Pixelmator, which was recently name-checked by Phil Schiller during the iPad mini media event, has updated its image editing software to include CMYK support, as well as a new feature called "Soft Proofing" that allows users to apply different color profiles to images in order to get a better idea of what the image will look like in the real world.
In the digital world, colors can be defined in many ways, and when it comes to precision, a feature called Soft Proofing comes in handy. Soft Proofing lets you quickly apply different color profiles to your images so you can get an idea of how the outcome, such as the printed image, might look. That's right, CMYK lovers, now you can preview and work in CMYK colors.

On top of that, thanks to the sRGB standard, the image colors inside Pixelmator will also look better. The sRGB color standard is widely used on most devices you come across every day, such as digital cameras, scanners, or even your iPhone. This means that the colors of images you edit in Pixelmator will look absolutely perfect outside Pixelmator and across all of your Apple devices.
Pixelmator is available on the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Adds New Color Profile Management and CMYK Support

Sean4000

Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
My dream has come true. CMYK support at long last!!!!

The last reason for me to use photoshop has been nullified. We can finally leave PS behind at long last.

My Company, Visual Electric Co., will save thousands of dollars on licenses Adobe will now lose out on. We're tired of paying out the nose for Photoshop. Amen for competition.

This will be a day long remembered.

Last edited:

bruinselmann

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Germany
This application is just fantastic, and a shining example of how successful an app can be when it's priced properly. This, for a lot of users, has replaced Photoshop, for God's sake - and it's just $30!

Now, if only they were to release an iOS version... :eek:

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Recently started using pixelmator to replace photoshop CS4. Haven't looked back. brilliant app. brilliant price.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
This application is just fantastic, and a shining example of how successful an app can be when it's priced properly. This, for a lot of users, has replaced Photoshop, for God's sake - and it's just $30!

I've wondered about picking it up. CMYK support is great to hear.
Does anyone else out there think it's a viable alternative to Photoshop?

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
CMYK support. I don't know what that means but I like it.

Web and video use RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color standards while print uses CYMK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK). Not a big deal if your editing for digital uses, but this was one of the last pieces needed for me to cut my Photoshop ties. At least for home use.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
They've been great with updates lately, I love the retina support, and CMYK is just icing on the cake :cool:

gnurf

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2011
I

It's at least an alternative to the Lite edition. I'm no artist, but I have some print material that could benefit now. Pixelmator will continue to get my attention if it keeps improving like this :)

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I love Pixelmator it's the best app I use it suites my needs from a web design standpoint wonderfully. A great Photoshop replacement. Wonder if they'll ever consider an Illustrator type of app?

iLuvMyMacToo

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Australia
Great news! I recently went to Pixelmator because PS is getting way to expensive to maintain every time Adobe decides to update... er upgrade.. it. I've done most of my recent designs with Pixelmator and CMYK support is just what I wanted.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011

It's a BIG time viable alternative, but it depends on your needs. I'd say it rests comfortably between PS Elements and PS. If all you need is the core PS features (masking, brushes, color replace etc.) then you'll love this app. If you need Layer Styles, Actions, or want to rotoscope a video clip then you'll need to buck up the big bucks for the full version of PS. For under $50 it's worth it just to check it out. Chances are you'll still use it for simpler tasks, because once you get used to the UI (it takes a little bit) you'll be blown away by how fast it is.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Hmm...Might give it a try. I use Photoshop for just about everything related to Photos and creative changes.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I totally, absolutely LOVE this app! Going to download the update now, yay! I prefer it to PhotoShop now, ---just doodling or quickly laying out an idea even, just more fluid than PS. Every update is icing on the cake.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I love Pixelmator it's the best app I use it suites my needs from a web design standpoint wonderfully. A great Photoshop replacement. Wonder if they'll ever consider an Illustrator type of app?

Try iDraw, it's in the Mac App Store, and looks a lot like Pixelmator. I've been using it to do vector tutorials from Vector tuts+. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but is still viable, and wonderfully fluid.

----------

Go to PXM-Tuts.com and check out the lessons there. I use both Photoshop and Pixelmator, and Pixelmator has become my first choice for doodling ideas & beyond, it's just great. The developers have been issuing a lot of updates with added features. Show some love and maybe we'll get some layer styles, & other goodies too. Pixelmator does a lot stuff that Photoshop does, but somewhat differently. Do some of the tuts online and it's easy to get the hang of it, so fluid to Mac. Feel like I'm just scratching the surface.

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

Sure has :) It was a good alternative to Photoshop for me, as it has everything I need (and a lot more) and it's at a reasonable price. No wonder everyone pirates Photoshop when it costs over $500...

sylwiusz

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Well, actually the other Photoshop alternative - Photoline, had been CMYK-compatible for many years. Not such a eye candy but I think it is still closer to Photoshop in terms of features, than Pixelmator. You can download trial at http://pl32.com/

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I'd love to see 15-bit, 16-bit and 18-bit color reduction (with dithering options), because not all LCDs are 24-bit.

I'm also wondering if their Web slicing tools have improved since the last time I tried the demo version.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's great to have a well-priced, modern and minimalistic application like this in a world where Photoshop is pretty much the only pixel editor out there. Adobe has a lot to learn from them!

On the other hand, Photoshop has so many features that it's nearly impossible to replace it for someone who needs things like Scripting, Smart Objects, Adjustment Layers, etc. Photoshop is fantastic, but it's important to have a solid alternative and know that you don't need Photoshop unless you need some quite specific things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.