Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Keep changing my mind

I have an iPad 3 and picked up a Mini. At first, I didn't like the Mini's screen -- hardly a surprise after using the 3. Then I was delighted by its weight, the ability to take it everywhere. Then today I tried to use the Mini for work instead of the 3, and the screen gave me a headache. I've gone through several stages: return the mini, sell the 3 and use only the mini, return the mini, and now keep them both for different things. The mini is good for reading books and is handy for checking email, the web, things like that. But it's horrible for reading pdf's or for work where you have to really concentrate on the screen. The two iPads are really quite different and have different uses, just like an iPad and a MBP.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
NO.

I am discussing actual screen comparisons of 7 inch tablets here.
Oh boy another stupid thread by a non owner :eek: I do own one and at 12 to 20 inches it looks just fine. I also own a iPad 4 it looks fine also. goodbye :apple:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Having a look at displaymates detailed analysis of the new mini screen, the real issues have nothing to do with the lack of retina.

When it comes to the SCREEN, the problems with the display are:

1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm
um...

1. Text is not sharp = lack of retina
2. Low color gamut is a real concern, given how accurate the displays of iPhone 5 and iPad 3/4 are. Some of the photographers that I know use the iPad 3 to connect to their DSLRs to view their photos just taken, because it's much better than the screen on their DSLRs.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.

But I take my mini outside and read perfectly fine. I just up the brightness a bit and viola, perfect clarity. So what's the point of this link? It's really a non issue. You're all just looking deep to find any little fault with the damn tablet. Just let it be. Enjoy the product if you don't want to you don't have to, that's the great thing about choice.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
How were you aware of the screen reflection versus the competition?

Today I walked into the nearest Apple Store, picked up a mini, looked at its screen and immediately threw it down and screamed in my loudest voice, "what low colour gamut!" I then proceeded to storm out of the Apple Store while the throngs of people there buying (thank god) other products cheered and clapped and expressed pure joy at my unexpected outburst. As I exited the store, I cried out, "I'm a troll, you dimwits!"

Last edited:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I don't know about how reflection affects my usage but I do wish the screen had a bit more pop / color. After using the iphone 5, iPad 3 and retina MacBook, the screen of the mini almost feels dim / washed out. I wish there was a way to make some adjustments.

S

syd430

I don't know about how reflection affects my usage but I do wish the screen had a bit more pop / color. After using the iphone 5, iPad 3 and retina MacBook, the screen of the mini almost feels dim / washed out. I wish there was a way to make some adjustments.

This is inherent in the lower quality panel technology that they decided to use. Even if the settings were provided, you would lose something else by increasing the saturation. In other words the panel is already as saturated as it can be without losing out on contrast.

The screen has already been calibrated for ideal contrast/saturation from the factory. The panel can't be pushed any further.

Last edited by a moderator:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
This is inherent in the lower quality panel technology that they decided to use. Even if the settings were provided, you would lose something else by increasing the saturation. In other words the panel is already as saturated as it can be without loosing out on contrast.

The screen has already been calibrated for ideal contrast/saturation from the factory. The panel can't be pushed any further.

I figured that was the case. Apple should have put in a better panel, even if it wasn't retina. No reason it couldn't be more brighter and crisp.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Perhaps you missed the tittle of this thread, it's not about the ecosystem, apps, apple logo, price etc etc etc. I am also sourcing the information from a site that is renowned for detailed screen reviews.

Considering lots of people will take the mini on the go and read on it, screen reflections cause fatigue. In addition, the mini has poorer screen readability in bright light.

When it comes to personal opinions, do I really need to say any more about them. For example, folks with HP Touchpads will swear that they're the best tablet hands-down.

What good is a better screen without the ecosystem, apps, build quality, etc to back it up? Lets all go buy ultra HD televisions, never mid that there's no content made for them yet.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Get a clue.Nobody gives a damn about your personal vendetta against the mini.Get a life.

Surely you see the irony in your statement.

Therefore, unless you actually have something technical to say, or personal experiences relating to the points mentioned in the OP, move along.

The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they imagine something is wrong with the tinge of a perfect screen.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they assume something is wrong with a perfect screen.
So you point to analysis by a "renowned" expert on screens that rated the screens on the Kindle, mini, and Nexus...

Said expert says the screens of all three devices have "REAL ISSUES".

Furthermore, said expert rates the iPad mini screen as a "B" in overall quality. Less overall quality than the Kindle (which got an "A-"), and better quality than the Nexus (which got a "B-").

It seems to me that if you're trying to make the point that people will be returning the iPad mini because of it's screen, YOU LINKED TO THE WRONG ANALYSIS. Using the logic of this analysis, more people will return the Nexus 7 because of screen issues.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO

The responses from so many on here is pure iSheep fanboy idiocy. I know apple has blurred the water and many now assume it's arts students designing this technology, however, many of us actually have a clue about technology. You know, as in are actual engineers who design such products and their chipsets.

Therefore, unless you actually have something technical to say, or personal experiences relating to the points mentioned in the OP, move along. The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they assume something is wrong with a perfect screen.

People have tried to give you reasoned responses and your only reaction so far is to tell them they're missing the point and to insult them. So please, enlightened one, explain to us what sort of discussion you would like to see.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

The responses from so many on here is pure iSheep fanboy idiocy. I know apple has blurred the water and many now assume it's arts students designing this technology, however, many of us actually have a clue about technology. You know, as in are actual engineers who design such products and their chipsets.

Therefore, unless you actually have something technical to say, or personal experiences relating to the points mentioned in the OP, move along. The responses are also laughable considering so many will return device after device because they assume something is wrong with a perfect screen.

what point are you trying to prove? that you know how to regurgitate information that most everyone already knows? do you want everyone to take back their ipad mini's?

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

We can all read the review for ourselves. You don't have anything technical to say, so doesn't that mean you should bow out of the thread yourself?

Very few here have been taking the "iSheep" stance, as you like to put it. That's such a ridiculous non-word, but that's beside the point. People have simply been trying to tell you that reviews on tech specs are one thing, and real-world experiences are another. No matter what you read, until you use a device, you're not forming your own opinion...you're simply letting information from others make the decision for you. Why is that so hard to understand? Comparing tech specs is great to give you an idea of how a product might function, but it's not the whole story.

I don't care if a reviewer says that a product (and this doesn't just go for Apple products) has a mediocre screen, or that it's slow, or that the color seems off, or that its processor is x% slower than this other device. If I have an interest in it, I'll try it. If I like it, great. If not, I move on. That's not being a sheep, that's making an informed decision. You should try it sometime instead of just spouting off other people's information,.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
what point are you trying to prove? that you know how to regurgitate information that most everyone already knows? do you want everyone to take back their ipad mini's?

That's what I've been trying to figure out. At this point I figure it's either

a) troll
b) actual author of that article shilling his site, or
c) someone who wants a Mini but for one reason or another can't have one and wants everyone to know why it would be stupid to have one anyway, or
d) all of the above

:D

richorlin

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
NO.

I am discussing actual screen comparisons of 7 inch tablets here.

How about discussing actual real-world usage here instead of statistics. Who the hell cares what Displaymate says. If the iPad Mini works for you, then great. If not, then don't buy it. It's all about user expectations/experience, not the specs. Jeez!

And, yes, I bought one for me and one for my wife. We sold our 10" iPads. Just too heavy for real-world useage.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
That's what I've been trying to figure out. At this point I figure it's either

a) troll
b) actual author of that article shilling his site, or
c) someone who wants a Mini but for one reason or another can't have one and wants everyone to know why it would be stupid to have one anyway, or
d) all of the above

:D

Apparently, the analysis of a renowned expert in displays who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers is no match for the 'opinions' of folks on macrumours.

Guys, first off, I have two iPads with LTE on order, so spare me the troll BS. What I am trying to ascertain is whether the aforementioned will be an issue.

I am asking legitimate questions regarding the performance and limitations of the iPad mini screen. Resolution is only one part of a screen.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Of course, apparently, the analysis of a renowned expert in displays who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers is no match for the 'opinions' of folks on macrumours.

Guys, first off, I have two iPads with LTE on order, so spare me the troll BS. What I am trying to ascertain is whether the aforementioned will be an issue.

I am asking legitimate questions regarding the performance and limitations of the iPad mini screen. Resolution is only one part of a screen.
If the guy who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers gave the mini screen a rating of "B", what specifically is your concern?

And why the hell would you start a thread like this if you're only looking for the input from people with his qualifications?!

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
If the guy who has a Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics from Princeton University and produces video calibration, evaluation, and diagnostic products for consumers, technicians, and manufacturers gave the mini screen a rating of "B", what specifically is your concern?

And why the hell would you start a thread like this if you're only looking for the input from people with his qualifications?!

Not to mention, your original post didn't even ask a question. You were stating what the "real issues" of the screen are-you did not ask for any input.

I guess we must also need Ph.D's in order to discern what you really are trying to say...

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Not to mention, your original post didn't even ask a question. You were stating what the "real issues" of the screen are-you did not ask for any input.

I guess we must also need Ph.D's in order to discern what you really are trying to say...

I reworded the OP and posts....

Last edited:

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I reworded the OP and posts....

so you spout all this crap off just to get people's real world opinion of the screen, which they gave you. If people are saying this screen isn't as bad as what it's made out to be, don't you think that answers your question?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.