Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
It works for me now! I just did a facetime on LTE on my iPhone 5 with the 2GB plan.

machestnut

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2009
Florida
Don't give me wireless FaceTime, give me G*d D*mn LTE coverage!!!

YESSSSSS!!!! same here:D

----------

They get it. They're trying to save money.

Offer someone an all-you-can-eat buffet for $10. Or an ounce of food for $2 each.

Offer spaghetti, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, steak and lobster.

Don't let the all-you-can-eaters choose steak or lobster.

That's what they're doing.

They make enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
What about someone who is on HSPA+ (not LTE) on an iPhone 4S and has a 5GB plan with wifi hotspot/tethering. I find it completely ludicrous that I can tether another device to my iPhone, and do Facetime on the other device (and all kinds of other high bandwidth activities), but I can't do FaceTime over Cellular on my iPhone itself. AT&T needs to correct this soon; at least customers who pay extra for this should get FaceTime over cellular. Of course, everyone should get FaceTime over Cellular. Even the ones who are grandfathered in to unlimited -- they get throttled anyway. But it's a big slap in the face to those who have wifi hotspot/tethering especially.

Why the distinction that it must be LTE?

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
i am no expert at cellular networks and data, however this whole "it's my data, i should be able to do whatever I want with it" is a bit bs.

LTE allows for more bandwidth and strictly is for data. 3G on the other hand handles both data and voice protocols.

For those FaceTiming on 3G, you add significant strain on the AT&T network. People forget that when 3G first rolled out (around 2005), the amount of traffic was next to none. Yes infrastructure has improved and evolved, but at the end of the day, it is about delivering and meeting the Quality of Service expectations. You must also look at the amount of smartphone traffic that the 3G networks now see...it is at levels probably not thinkable back when the networks were first rolled out.

So yes, moving FaceTime only to LTE is smart.

You are exactly right. People need to get past their "gimme" attitudes. If everyone had unlimited, they would all watch netflix streaming and the network would SUCK. When unlimited was offered, throughput was like 1MB or less. Not I can get 20-40MBs in the Tampa area on LTE AT&T. Most folks would cancel their broadband and tether there phone if it was unlimited data at that speed. The Telecoms can not handle that.

xizar

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
So wait, legitimate question: if I have a 3GS on the unlimited plan, can I roll over the unlimited plan to an iPhone 5? I thought you had to drop the unlimited because you're moving to 4G?

Make sure you buy the phone from Apple and not AT&T. If you go through AT&T's website, it makes you choose one of their new plans. Going through Apple gives you the option to change or you can keep what you have.

(This was my experience when buying my iphone. Other's may not have had that problem.)

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
According to this post it is coming to Unlimited plans too....
"The company said that within eight to 10 weeks, the video and voice calling app will be available to subscribers of older unlimited and tiered data plans. In September, AT&T said those customers of the new iPhone 5 or iOS6 wouldn’t have access to FaceTime. The company offered the app only for new Apple device customers who agreed to buy into shared data plans, in which the company bundles together data charges for multiple devices."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...bec36de-29de-11e2-b4e0-346287b7e56c_blog.html

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009

Offer someone an all-you-can-eat buffet for $10. Or an ounce of food for $2 each.

Not quite a perfect analogy... a bit is a bit is a bit. It's 0's and 1's... AT&T is discriminating against data... and that is a breach of net neutrality.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

It's not them trying to make money that galls. It's the doublespeak and almost hostile attitude toward their paying customers. Which is why I use the buffet down the street. Die a slow, agonizing death, AT&T.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
According to this post it is coming to Unlimited plans too....
"The company said that within eight to 10 weeks, the video and voice calling app will be available to subscribers of older unlimited and tiered data plans. In September, AT&T said those customers of the new iPhone 5 or iOS6 wouldn’t have access to FaceTime. The company offered the app only for new Apple device customers who agreed to buy into shared data plans, in which the company bundles together data charges for multiple devices."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...bec36de-29de-11e2-b4e0-346287b7e56c_blog.html

that would be awesome if this happens.

DJsteveSD

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
Dallas, TX
It works for me now! I just did a facetime on LTE on my iPhone 5 with the 2GB plan.

I just tried it on my tiered 4gb plan and it works for me too. what happened to weeks? (not that I'm complaining) I actually use facetime with someone I am seeing that lives in London so this is great!!

:D

nevermind, I forget to turn on facetime over cellular, got the obnoxious message to call.

Last edited:

JuBe

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
It may be your data, but it's their network it's traveling on.

You're paying for that right. And no matter how you play it, AT&T is discriminating against data and that is a breach of net neutrality.

----------

that would be awesome if this happens.

While the blog says:
We will continue to gather and assess the network data on this issue over the next few months and anticipate that we will be able to expand the availability of FaceTime to our customers on other billing plans in the near future.
, it doesn't mean that they actually plan to incorporate unlimited plans.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
tiered data? I have the 2gb data cap, non mobileshared and I just tried it on my iPhone 5 and its saying I have to switch to an appropriate plan to use that Facetime feature.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
tiered data? I have the 2gb data cap, non mobileshared and I just tried it on my iPhone 5 and its saying I have to switch to an appropriate plan to use that Facetime feature.

The article clearly states 8-10 week rollout period.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Whatever argument AT$T babbles on about blocking cellular FaceTime is a moot point. I've been using Skype video over unlimited data on my iPhone 4 since day one, no issues here.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
AT&T's failed attempt to do the backstroke!

ALL tiered plans should have this, not just LTE devices. I have the iP5, but this policy still pi**es me off.

How does AT&T model everyone streaming movies at the same time?

It's our paid block of data, let us use this how WE want!

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
OK, I really don't care about face time but you would think AT&T would find away not to punish those with an unlimited plan, which is really not unlimited because they will throtal you and exclude you from features that they offer others. If you have an unlimited plan it means you have been with AT&T for awhile and should be considered a valuable/loyal customer.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
So yes, moving FaceTime only to LTE is smart.

Is that what they are doing? In the press release it says it is limited to "LTE devices," it does not say anything about the network. It would be nice if the limitation was only to the device since AT&T's LTE coverage isn't going to be complete til 2014.

ed724

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
for you 4S and below users, just say "JAILBREAK", but not on IOS6 yet. Besides IOS6 isn't really worth the change from 5. IMOH. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.