Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Problems making screensavers in Quartz Composer

I'm trying to make a screensaver from a video I've made inside Quartz Composer. I've done it before, but I can't remember if that was before 10.8 or not. Anyway, now nothing is working. I've been using a tutorial that has worked for a long time. Could it be a ML problem? I am not good at programming or code, and Xcode is like Egyptian to me, I don't understand it. The process was simple enough for me to do, so its really frustrating that its not working now.

The problem is, the screensaver says: "You cannot use the _____ screen saver on this computer. Contact the developer of this screen saver for a newer version."

I don't know what the hell that is supposed to mean, I just made the damn thing. Can someone help me out here please?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:45 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

I googled cannot use the screen saver on this computer and found this:
http://developer.apple.com/library/m...66/_index.html

IIRC, the requirement for screen-saver GC changed again in 10.8 Mtn Lion. I think it's now a requirement that screen-savers be GC-supported. Basically, it's the 3rd option, that isn't "unsupported" or "required".

I googled screen saver mountain lion garbage collection and found this:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1417509

FWIW, googling the text of an error message is a long-standing approach for finding out what it means, and what possible remedies might be.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
I googled cannot use the screen saver on this computer and found this:
http://developer.apple.com/library/m...66/_index.html

IIRC, the requirement for screen-saver GC changed again in 10.8 Mtn Lion. I think it's now a requirement that screen-savers be GC-supported. Basically, it's the 3rd option, that isn't "unsupported" or "required".

I googled screen saver mountain lion garbage collection and found this:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1417509

FWIW, googling the text of an error message is a long-standing approach for finding out what it means, and what possible remedies might be.

Yeah I found both of those pages already, but like I said, I'm not good with coding. I never had to deal with coding when I made my screensavers before. It was super simple in QC. Now, I don't have a clue what to do to make this video my screensaver. Its almost like Apple took the simplicity completely out of it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:59 PM   #4
danhoo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Yeah I found both of those pages already, but like I said, I'm not good with coding. I never had to deal with coding when I made my screensavers before. It was super simple in QC. Now, I don't have a clue what to do to make this video my screensaver. Its almost like Apple took the simplicity completely out of it.
Is this only happening on 10.8? GC has to be set to "Required" for 10.8. However, since you're using QC, I'm not sure what to recommend. How do you wrap the QC in a .saver? You mentioned you're using a tutorial -- can you link to it?
danhoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhoo View Post
Is this only happening on 10.8? GC has to be set to "Required" for 10.8. However, since you're using QC, I'm not sure what to recommend. How do you wrap the QC in a .saver? You mentioned you're using a tutorial -- can you link to it?

Here you go. It was super simple to do. I really didn't need to save it as a .saver file, Lion was able to read the .qtz files and use those without problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMMJY_hCA4

Keep this in mind, I made these screensavers back when I had 10.7 and the ones I made back then still work with 10.8, however new ones are not working at all.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:43 PM   #6
danhoo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Here you go. It was super simple to do. I really didn't need to save it as a .saver file, Lion was able to read the .qtz files and use those without problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dMMJY_hCA4

Keep this in mind, I made these screensavers back when I had 10.7 and the ones I made back then still work with 10.8, however new ones are not working at all.
Sorry for not responding until now. Obviously I've done all my screensavers as .savers and haven't made one with QC (that video does make it look super easy).

Unfortunately, I don't have any great advice. My guess is that for whatever reason in ML, the screensaver wrapper process (that runs all screensavers and needs GC) isn't happy with the ML Quartz playback process, whatever that is. It doesn't seem like anything you can fix on your side, since the .qtz file is just a data file. Actually, the .qtz is apparently a binary plist, but I opened a sample one in the Property List Editor and didn't see any values that would have anything to do with GC (not that I really expected to).

You could possibly wrap the .qtz in a .saver using the Quartz framework (see http://kineme.net/forum/DevelopingCo...intoasaverfile for some thoughts on this) but that will involve coding and that's probably exactly what you were trying to avoid. It might also be a bug that will get patched in a ML update.
danhoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming