Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Hey all:
My momma is looking for a new camera and has been eye-balling my Sony Alpha since I bought it last year. Anyhow, I just saw Walmart's Black Friday ad posted online; in that ad is a Nikon D3000 bundle which includes the 18-55mm and 55-200mm Nikon lenses, a camera bag, 8GB SD, and 2 tutorial DVDs for $449.

Does that sound like a pretty good deal? (I assume so since it's a Black Friday special, lol).

Is the D3000 a good camera for someone with fairly basic skiils? She's coming from a point and shoot and an iPhone 4...

I have almost ZERO experience with Nikon, except for the D40 my buddy has that I've used a few times. I've always used Minolta/Sony SLRs...

Any advice is appreciated. :) And other suggestions are welcome, but it would have to be in a similar price range. The same Walmart ad also has the Canon T3 for the same price, btw - but no second lens or DVDs (who cares about the DVDs, though).

Last edited:

sflarc51

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Nice Price

Well, for that price that's one helluva deal. Considering this will be her first DSLR and than she's likely to continue to shoot in full auto mode (which basically just makes the camera a fancy and more expensive point and shoot), this camera system will do her excellently.

As for the Canon. That's a fine camera too. But since the Nikon comes with the second lens that's makes the Nikon the winner. Had it been the Canon with 2 lens at $449 and the Nikon with just 1 lens, I would have told you to buy the Canon.

I see no reason, at this price, not to get it.

rustyb99

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Long Island, NY
I think that is a great deal. For all that you get with that bundle it is definitely worth it and it is also a great entry level dslr. I have the D3100 which is the next iteration of the D3000. I think she would be very happy with it.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
At this point, the 3000 is two gens back. The 3200 is the currently released entry level Nikon DSLR. What makes this bundle a good is the extra lens given with the 3000. The main differences between the 3100 and the 3000 are:

- 10MP vs 14.2MP sensor on the D3100
- 1600 max ISO vs 3200 max ISO on the D3100
- No video capability on the D3000
- No LiveView mode on the D3000

Having said that, the D3000 should still be a good starter camera, and the extra lenses make this bundle worth it at that price. I would buy it, and look into perhaps upgrading the camera down the road when she outgrows it. FWIW, I have the 3100 and it shoot great pictures. Both the kit lens and the 55-200 are wonderful lenses.

js81

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Thanks for the replies. :) Might be a dumb question (but again, I know next-to-nothing about Nikons), but will the lenses be able to be used on a newer Nikon later? Other than full-frame obviously... I assume the APS-C mounts haven't changed?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
All F-mount Nikon lenses will work with all Nikon DSLRs. There are some older manual focus from old film days that won't work without some adjustments. So if you plan on getting manual focus lenses from the old film days be careful. Otherwise, all of the new digital lenses will work with all DSLRs.

sflarc51

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
AF-S versus AF

Here's the streamlined shake down on Nikon lenses:

All DSLR lenses Nikon has made since the 70's will mount onto the D3000.
Only AF-S lenses will auto-focus. AF, AF-D, Ai will not auto focus.

The reason for this is that DX bodies such as D40, D60, D3000, D3100, D3200, D5000, D51000, and D5200 and few others lack the internal motor to auto-focus pre AF-S lenses. AF-S lenses have the focus motor built into them and will auto-focus DX and FX camera alike.

D80, D90, D7000 (and a few other DX bodies) and all FX (full-frame) camera's have the focus motor built in and will auto focus an AF lens (and Ai lenses with conversions) as well as an AF-S lens.

Therefore, I recommend you purchase only AF-S lenses as I doubt your mother will want to auto focus any lens.

The link provided in the early post to Ken Rockwell's page is excellent.

Happy shooting.

----------

All F-mount Nikon lenses will work with all Nikon DSLRs. There are some older manual focus from old film days that won't work without some adjustments. So if you plan on getting manual focus lenses from the old film days be careful. Otherwise, all of the new digital lenses will work with all DSLRs.

The statement "All F-mount Nikon lenses will work with all Nikon DSLRs." is a little aggressive. The lenses will mount and allow for successful photography for sure. But not all F-mount lenses will automatically focus on ALL DX bodies and certainly not the D3000 series.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
It may be a newer-gen camera, but I think the two lens kit is more valuable due to the added glass. The 55-200VR is $250 new. I'd get the glass and upgrade the camera when she outgrows it. D5100s and D7000s are already starting to drop in price as Nikon refreshes their product lines...

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I would either wait for a Canon T3i bundle deal again (most recently one was a few days ago, $549 after rebate for T3i + 18-55 + 55-250 + Pixma9k and likely no tax) or buy used. A Nikon D90 with kit lens should be doable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.