Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:58 PM   #1
braddick
macrumors 68030

Does anyone other than Apple offer the RED iPod Touch?

I wanted to pick one up as a gift and am pretty sure what the answer is... but just in case! As it would save me a trip to Apple if someone- anyone else offered the RED version.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:11 PM   #2
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
I wanted to pick one up as a gift and am pretty sure what the answer is... but just in case! As it would save me a trip to Apple if someone- anyone else offered the RED version.
It's an Apple Store Exclusive. They even say it on their website.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Yes, it's an Apple Store exclusive. But the REASON it is an Apple Store exclusive is because Product Red items are special items where a part of the profit/margins is donated to charity to help fight AIDS. So maybe it takes a little more effort to calculate the sales profit from an item where a chunk of the proceeds go to charity. This may be the reason Apple doesn't bother with the (small) logistical headache of selling these at Walmarts and Best Buys.

http://www.apple.com/product-red/

(from Apple's website...)
The Global Fund.

The numbers don’t lie: Every day more than 900 babies are born with HIV. By 2015 that number can be nearly zero. (RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS-free generation by 2015 by creating (PRODUCT) RED merchandise. A percentage of gross profits from the sale of those products goes to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa. Since its introduction, (PRODUCT) RED has generated more than $190 million — more than $50 million from Apple alone — for the Global Fund. Now you can make an impact, too, by purchasing a (PRODUCT) RED iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, iPad Smart Cover, iPad Smart Case, or iPhone Bumper.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4
braddick
macrumors 68030

Ok, thanks, I appreciate the answer/confirmation along with the additional information.
Is there a point Apple stops selling the RED version?
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:39 AM   #5
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
Ok, thanks, I appreciate the answer/confirmation along with the additional information.
Is there a point Apple stops selling the RED version?
They are not limited edition and typically are available for as long as the standard product is sold.

It might be discontinued once the next gen comes out and this gen becomes the entry level model though.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch