Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:50 AM   #26
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bath, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezinous View Post
Am I able to run the previous gens ram, 1333mhz?

Bought an 8gb stick of ram for an old mini that ended up getting sold. Never got to test if it works and lost the receipt. Just needed to test it before putting it on eBay.
1333MHz will work, but it will be slower.

Memory performance will make a difference to the HD 4000 IGP. Hereís a good test by Anandtech going from DDR3-1333MHz to DDR3-2400MHz on the desktop chip and benchmarking it. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/m...gp-with-gskill
As Anandtech point out however, itís not just about MHz. Arguably the memory sub-timings are more important. Hereís a good article explaining memory for the uninitiated among us http://www.anandtech.com/show/3851/.
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB on 4GEE
iPad 3G+WiFi 64GB
13" MacBook Air (2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB) - 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB)
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:05 PM   #27
RG129
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Does anybody know what the difference between these 2 kits from Crucial? The specs are exactly the same, but the $82 kit has guaranteed Mac compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...IT102464BF160B

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...53A0C6A5CA7304
RG129 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:41 AM   #28
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bath, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG129 View Post
Does anybody know what the difference between these 2 kits from Crucial? The specs are exactly the same, but the $82 kit has guaranteed Mac compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...IT102464BF160B

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...53A0C6A5CA7304
Apple Tax .
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB on 4GEE
iPad 3G+WiFi 64GB
13" MacBook Air (2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB) - 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB)
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:02 AM   #29
Fifemacuser
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I am having the same dilemma with memory. the UK crucial store is sold out of the 16gb mac kit, but the alternative is available and cheaper.

Is it really just the same? Also would I still be covered by Crucial's compatibility guarantee?

Cheers

Edit

I decided to just go for the cheaper stuff. It is the same spec and I want it for my mini tat s due tomorrow!

Last edited by Fifemacuser; Nov 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Fifemacuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:16 AM   #30
calvol
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG129 View Post
Does anybody know what the difference between these 2 kits from Crucial? The specs are exactly the same, but the $82 kit has guaranteed Mac compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...IT102464BF160B

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...53A0C6A5CA7304
Looks like the same stick, so I ordered the cheaper one, will let you know if it works in about 8 days....
calvol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:59 AM   #31
Bierboy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Moline, Ill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Looks like the same stick, so I ordered the cheaper one, will let you know if it works in about 8 days....
Interesting, though, since one says it's guaranteed compatible, and the other does not...
Bierboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 07:24 AM   #32
kdoug
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa City, IA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvol View Post
Looks like the same stick, so I ordered the cheaper one, will let you know if it works in about 8 days....
They are the exact same stick with a different part number. I've ordered from Crucial before many times and I always order the non-apple branded stuff.
Mine will be here Monday for both of my Mini's but I'm not concerned, it'll work.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Interesting, though, since one says it's guaranteed compatible, and the other does not...
Crucial has done this for years. At one time they use to charge 20-30% more for apple compatible ram. Of course this was prior to Intel.
Don't get caught up in disclaimers, the cheaper stuff is the same.
__________________
Dual, Late 2012 Mac Mini's 2.6GHz quad-core i7 16GB with Samsung 840 250GB SSD's, Dell 23" s2340l and 27" s2740l Monitors, iPad Air 64GB Wi-Fi, Verizon
iPhone 5 64GB Black
kdoug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:37 PM   #33
dogmusic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
G.SKILL SQ Series 16GB (2x8GB)

For the record, I purchased this ram:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=047829

Installed it today and ran the extended Apple Hardware Test, which it passed.

So far so good!
dogmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:15 PM   #34
kardiackidneyki
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I purchased this: Kingston ValueRAM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089JIDUI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
kardiackidneyki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:45 AM   #35
Luksus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
And what about Kingston HyperX - KHX16S9P1K2/16, I saw that it was mentioned in this thread but did someone actually tested it with positive outcome?

I am wondering about two things:

1. Since this RAM has additionally a heat sink installed to it will it actually fit in Mac Mini, seems to be that there might be a problem.
2. Does it have 1600MHZ from begging or this needs to be adjusted in BIOS (which is not possible for mac mini).
Luksus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:50 AM   #36
lamerica80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kardiackidneyki View Post
Me too, works great.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:09 AM   #37
milkmandan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luksus View Post
And what about Kingston HyperX - KHX16S9P1K2/16, I saw that it was mentioned in this thread but did someone actually tested it with positive outcome?

I am wondering about two things:

1. Since this RAM has additionally a heat sink installed to it will it actually fit in Mac Mini, seems to be that there might be a problem.
2. Does it have 1600MHZ from begging or this needs to be adjusted in BIOS (which is not possible for mac mini).
Just so i am not referencing the wrong stick, you are looking at these right?
http://www.amazon.com/1600MHz-PC3-12.../dp/B008H7IGGI

These sticks look quite similar to the Corsair Vengence sticks I got for the Mac Mini.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233242
These fit just fine in the mac mini.

Duno about #2. Depends on the compatibility of the sticks.
milkmandan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:19 AM   #38
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816
 
Sir Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Just a quick confirmation needed, I am about to pull the trigger on 16GB of ram for my new 2012 mac mini, this is the right one isn't it?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...7A9E98A5CA7304
__________________
iMac (27") iPad Air (16GB White) Retina iPad Mini (16GB White) iPhone 5S (16GB Space Gray) Apple TV rMBP (13")
My Flickr
Sir Ruben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:33 AM   #39
lamerica80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Just a quick confirmation needed, I am about to pull the trigger on 16GB of ram for my new 2012 mac mini, this is the right one isn't it?

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpar...7A9E98A5CA7304
Yeah but its 1.35 and not 1.5 V...but it seems that dont matter yo.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:55 AM   #40
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816
 
Sir Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamerica80 View Post
Yeah but its 1.35 and not 1.5 V...but it seems that dont matter yo.
I know that the teardown revealed 1.5v Crucial memory but I was under the impression 1.35v is the correct spec?

Can anyone explain the performance difference between the two?
__________________
iMac (27") iPad Air (16GB White) Retina iPad Mini (16GB White) iPhone 5S (16GB Space Gray) Apple TV rMBP (13")
My Flickr
Sir Ruben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:09 AM   #41
Luksus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmandan View Post
Just so i am not referencing the wrong stick, you are looking at these right?
http://www.amazon.com/1600MHz-PC3-12.../dp/B008H7IGGI
Actually I was reffering to those:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Hyp...2372685&sr=8-4

As you can see they are little bit bigger then normal ones due to heat spreader, but they comes with CL: 9 not 11 like most of the others.
I know they fit in Mac Book Pro but if they fit in mac mini, that's the question

Edit: After some investigation I can see that Kingston has similar without this heat spread:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I wonder if this RAM is going to work with 1600 MHz without a need of fixing it in BIOS.

Last edited by Luksus; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Luksus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:25 AM   #42
knight1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London,UK
I've received my 16gb Ram kit from Crucial UK. I was worried about the 1.35v being compatible with the new mini.
The RAM I received is 2x8gb DDR3L -1600 SODIMM. From reading on the crucial site and others, DDR3L is dual voltage.
Here's the part number: CT2C8G3S160BMCEU

This should answer most questions: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Standard...ory/ta-p/71731
knight1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:03 AM   #43
Sir Ruben
macrumors 65816
 
Sir Ruben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight1 View Post
I've received my 16gb Ram kit from Crucial UK. I was worried about the 1.35v being compatible with the new mini.
The RAM I received is 2x8gb DDR3L -1600 SODIMM. From reading on the crucial site and others, DDR3L is dual voltage.
Here's the part number: CT2C8G3S160BMCEU

This should answer most questions: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Standard...ory/ta-p/71731
How have you found the performance with the 16GB of ram? A lot better? Would you recommend I go for the 16GB also or would you say 8GB would be good enough?
__________________
iMac (27") iPad Air (16GB White) Retina iPad Mini (16GB White) iPhone 5S (16GB Space Gray) Apple TV rMBP (13")
My Flickr
Sir Ruben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:36 AM   #44
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bath, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
I know that the teardown revealed 1.5v Crucial memory but I was under the impression 1.35v is the correct spec?

Can anyone explain the performance difference between the two?
One other thing to point out, is that we don't actually know that the motherboard is sending the RAM the full 1.5V, it might be only giving it 1.35V but that's enough for the RAM.

I come from a PC overclocking background, so find the whole locked out BIOS of Macs annoying.
In my experience, I've bought memory that was advertised as being able to do DDR2-1066MHz at 2.1v. As standard the motherboard gave it 1.9V and it ran at DDR2-800MHz. This was as per the JEDEC SPD. If you were do set the timings to have it running at DDR2-1066MHz it would then fail all the stress tests. To run at the high speeds and be stable, you had to set the motherboard to 2.1v - as stated on the RAMs packaging.

So it's perfectly possible that the Mac Mini is only giving the Crucial RAM 1.35v, but the RAM doesn't mind the undervolting and runs fine. If you were to stick a stick of RAM in that needed the full 1.5v, and the Mac Mini still only gave out 1.35v, then you would have stability problems.

I haven't got a Mini yet (waiting for the display blacking problem to be fixed), but if you were to bootcamp windows and then run HWMonitor you should be able to see the voltages...
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB on 4GEE
iPad 3G+WiFi 64GB
13" MacBook Air (2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB) - 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB)
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:01 AM   #45
dogmusic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
One other thing to point out, is that we don't actually know that the motherboard is sending the RAM the full 1.5V, it might be only giving it 1.35V but that's enough for the RAM.
It turns out that the stock RAM that comes installed by Apple in the Mac Mini is 1.5v, so the motherboard must be sending the RAM the full 1.5V.
dogmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:30 AM   #46
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bath, UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmusic View Post
It turns out that the stock RAM that comes installed by Apple in the Mac Mini is 1.5v, so the motherboard must be sending the RAM the full 1.5V.
Did you even read what I wrote?

It's perfectly possible that the motherboard is only sending it 1.35v, but that the RAM can manage to run on that. It's called undervolting. http://www.google.co.uk/#q=undervolt+RAM

There's three ways to find out.
  1. Multimeter on the DIMM slot
  2. HWMonitor
  3. Stick the stock RAM in an unlocked BIOS machine and set it to 1.35v, then Memtest it for 24hours and test stability
__________________
iPhone 5 64GB on 4GEE
iPad 3G+WiFi 64GB
13" MacBook Air (2.13GHz, 4GB, 256GB) - 15" MacBook Pro (2.4GHz, 4GB)
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:51 PM   #47
knight1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London,UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
How have you found the performance with the 16GB of ram? A lot better? Would you recommend I go for the 16GB also or would you say 8GB would be good enough?
Besides the issues many people are reporting and which I'm also experiencing, the Mini is performing well after installing 16gb ram for VMs. Running 2 VMs and Firefox (multiple tabs), Itunes, it used up 10gb ram quite easily.
8gb would be enough for most people, but you need to work out if you would ever go over 8gb, then get 16gb.
knight1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:14 PM   #48
Poob Bubes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG129 View Post
Does anybody know what the difference between these 2 kits from Crucial? The specs are exactly the same, but the $82 kit has guaranteed Mac compatibility.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...IT102464BF160B

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...53A0C6A5CA7304
I've been running the the non-mac version for a week now and I've had no issues.
Poob Bubes is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:33 PM   #49
dogmusic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyfield2 View Post
Did you even read what I wrote?

It's perfectly possible that the motherboard is only sending it 1.35v, but that the RAM can manage to run on that. It's called undervolting. http://www.google.co.uk/#q=undervolt+RAM

There's three ways to find out.
  1. Multimeter on the DIMM slot
  2. HWMonitor
  3. Stick the stock RAM in an unlocked BIOS machine and set it to 1.35v, then Memtest it for 24hours and test stability
Yes, I read what you wrote.

The stock RAM in my Mini is MICRON MT8JTF25664HZ-1G6M1.

The data sheet for that RAM states under "Operating Conditions" a minimum Operating Supply Voltage of 1.425v.

I don't believe that Apple would install that RAM if the motherboard could only send 1.35v.
dogmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:44 PM   #50
iWeekend
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Partially thanks to dogmusic's post, I also grabbed the G. Skill SQ series. Very happy with the purchase.
iWeekend is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac Mini 2012 RAM njharris97 Mac mini 15 Nov 17, 2013 03:21 PM
will this ram work with 2012 mac mini tyss Mac mini 1 Nov 16, 2013 01:52 AM
RAM for Mac Mini 2012 NunoBerny Mac mini 54 Feb 26, 2013 07:41 AM
Should I upgrade ram 2012 Mac mini? MacOSXuser Mac mini 27 Nov 17, 2012 08:24 PM
A 2011 base mac mini with 16gb of ram would be as fast as the upcoming 2012 mini? Che Castro Mac mini 16 Sep 17, 2012 07:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC