Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:26 AM   #1
demuro1
macrumors newbie

Terminal Help

Hello,
I was hoping someone familiar with terminal could help me out.

I am taking a class on unix and another class on web development. Somehow between the two classes I have encountered a difference eon my mac that I'd like to fix.

depending on what network I am on my hostname changes in terminal. I have enabled php but apache is currently off.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer here?

Thanks in advance.
demuro1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:25 PM   #2
kgs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuro1 View Post
Hello,
I was hoping someone familiar with terminal could help me out.

I am taking a class on unix and another class on web development. Somehow between the two classes I have encountered a difference eon my mac that I'd like to fix.

depending on what network I am on my hostname changes in terminal. I have enabled php but apache is currently off.

Does anyone have any advice they can offer here?

Thanks in advance.
If all you're trying to do is setup apache with php, you should probably just try this:

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

At least on your Mac.

That said, I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. You say hostname, and then php and apache. What exactly are you trying to do?
kgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:19 PM   #3
demuro1
macrumors newbie

I am experiencing strange behavior in terminal. I am attaching a photo. everything before :~demuro1$ in the terminal window changes depending on the network I'm on and the whether I am connected to a network or not.

I am taking two classes, one has to do with linux/unix and the other has to do with web development. I have enabled php and apache on my mac.

I think one of the above listed items is at fault for this new behavior in terminal. Is there anything you might suggest that can correct this issue?

thanks
demuro1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Brian33
macrumors 6502a

I don't think it has anything to do with you enabling php and apache. I say this because I've seen similar behavior with my MacBook Pro on my home network.

Like you, I have the hostname as part of my command prompt in Terminal. (You can also see the current hostname by typing the command 'hostname'.)

I haven't completely figured this out, but I believe it has to do with whether my portable connects to my network through the wireless 802.11n (Airport) interface or through the wired ethernet cable interface. I get one hostname one way, and a different one the other way.

I suspect that my DHCP server is assigning a hostname when the computer connects via the ethernet cable interface, instead of using the hostname I've set on the computer.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
kgs
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by demuro1 View Post
I am experiencing strange behavior in terminal. I am attaching a photo. everything before :~demuro1$ in the terminal window changes depending on the network I'm on and the whether I am connected to a network or not.

I am taking two classes, one has to do with linux/unix and the other has to do with web development. I have enabled php and apache on my mac.

I think one of the above listed items is at fault for this new behavior in terminal. Is there anything you might suggest that can correct this issue?

thanks
That is called the command prompt. It is most likely BASH.. you can change it using the instructions here:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/

It has nothing to do with php or apache. That's a web server. Only used really for web pages.
kgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store