Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
I'm at iOS 6.0 with a tethered jailbreak on my iPhone 4. I am aware that the current Redsn0w works on iOS 6.0.1 as well as 6.0. I've never updated before while jailbroken, so I don't know if this is possible:

Can I simply press "update" in iTunes to update to 6.0.1? Or will that require me to wipe my iPhone first? If it updates, doesn't wipe any data, but just removes the jailbreak, that's OK also. So what happens if I press "update"?

I basically just don't want to lose my music and such. I don't care if my Cydia packages and whatever go away. Will this start me off as if my phone was brand new?

Last edited:

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
He cannot update jailbroken device via iTunes just like that, he'll get an error. Put device into DFU mode press shift and click restore, than browse for 6.0.1 ipsw.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
He cannot update jailbroken device via iTunes just like that, he'll get an error. Put device into DFU mode press shift and click restore, than browse for 6.0.1 ipsw.

But will I lose any data by doing that? I'd prefer to keep my Cydia apps and stuff so that when I re-jailbreak, I can use them again. And what about my legitimate data like music and whatever?

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
You will lose everything, backup before doing anything. You cannot update and keep all your Cydia tweaks. You must install everything again after the update.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
You will lose everything, backup before doing anything. You cannot update and keep all your Cydia tweaks. You must install everything again after the update.

EVERYTHING? Or just all of my Cydia tweaks? Will music and regular settings still be there, or will it just wipe the phone to make it as if it was brand new?

I'm OK if I just lose my Cydia stuff, but I want to keep the stuff unrelated to the jailbreak.

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you will not loose paid apps out of itunes, music photo's will all be there just back it up. if you get error 1600 1602 etc point it to gs.apple.com. seriously this is beginning stuff it will only benefit you to use google and look it up. it's not going to do me any harm if your device gets messed up or if you loose something.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
you will not loose paid apps out of itunes, music photo's will all be there just back it up. if you get error 1600 1602 etc point it to gs.apple.com. seriously this is beginning stuff it will only benefit you to use google and look it up. it's not going to do me any harm if your device gets messed up or if you loose something.

When I search this on Google, I get results from idiotic bloggers who just copy other tutorials on how to jailbreak an iPhone. I can't find anything about updating while jailbroken.

I also don't want to do a backup and restore. In the past it's been unstable for me, and I just don't really feel like dealing with it even if it works well.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California
When I search this on Google, I get results from idiotic bloggers who just copy other tutorials on how to jailbreak an iPhone. I can't find anything about updating while jailbroken.

I also don't want to do a backup and restore. In the past it's been unstable for me, and I just don't really feel like dealing with it even if it works well.

I use aptbackup before a restore. It saves a list of all your installed tweaks, apps, and themes and their settings and puts the small file with this info in a part of the phone that goes into the backup in itunes. Then when you restore in itunes, update, and restore from backup, all you need to do is Jailbreak, download aptbackup, and hit restore. Your phone will go into a state that looks like it is in a respring, but really it is ok. Once your phone comes back it will be ready to go right where you left off.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Basic jb 101 here bro.
You can NEVER update firmware versions and maintain your jailbreak.
You have to update to stock firmware, then jailbreak it again. Then sync/restore all your items back and install all your cydia packages all over again.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Basic jb 101 here bro.
You can NEVER update firmware versions and maintain your jailbreak.
You have to update to stock firmware, then jailbreak it again. Then sync/restore all your items back and install all your cydia packages all over again.

If I lose all of my music and stuff and have to sync back to get it again, it looks like I'll be staying on iOS 6.0 for a while :D

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
this is what Apple says 6.0.1 does if any of this matters consider updating. However if is doesn't matter then why bother. research again basic stuff

Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
Fixes a Passcode Lock bug that sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meeting

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
this is what Apple says 6.0.1 does if any of this matters consider updating. However if is doesn't matter then why bother. research again basic stuff

Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
Fixes a Passcode Lock bug that sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meeting

Yeah, nothing that even affects me there. Looks like I'll be on 6.0 for a while longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.