Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
For some reason, I can't zoom in further than this for Seoul, South Korea. Can anyone try zooming in?

imageexf.jpg

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
For some reason, I can't zoom in further than this for Seoul, South Korea. Can anyone try zooming in?

It will let me zoom if I change it to 'Standard,' but that only makes it more apparent how unfinished and how many roads it's missing.

(not that Google fares much better on roads - although their satellite images are far better)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It will let me zoom if I change it to 'Standard,' but that only makes it more apparent how unfinished and how many roads it's missing.

(not that Google fares much better on roads - although their satellite images are far better)

I see. Oh well, so far I think Apple maps is like 90% complete in the US and UK, maybe Japan. The rest of the countries is really incomplete....

PhoneandPad

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Do any countries yet have public transport integration in Apple mapping on IOS?

When in Switzerland this year, I was most impressed by the way Google Maps routing showed you the exact departure time of next train and even trams/buses, at the nearest stop to where you are standing, then the compass guides to in the direction of the rail station/bus stop.

Has this feature been implemented in Apple maps for any countries yet?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Do any countries yet have public transport integration in Apple mapping on IOS?

When in Switzerland this year, I was most impressed by the way Google Maps routing showed you the exact departure time of next train and even trams/buses, at the nearest stop to where you are standing, then the compass guides to in the direction of the rail station/bus stop.

Has this feature been implemented in Apple maps for any countries yet?

Public transport is currently NOT available on Apple maps, much to everyone's dismay. Maybe it'll come some time in the future update, but only time will tell. In the meantime, you'll have to explore 3rd-party alternatives that suit your needs.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
And you would know this how?

Just a guess. Most of the people who didn't have a problem with Apple maps were located in the US, where it was quite obvious that Apple will polish the maps for its own country. And they have been making A LOT of changes to the UK recently as well. I'm not even sure whether they're putting in any effort for Asia.

Last edited:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Just a guess. Most of the people who didn't have a problem with Apple maps where located in the US, where it was quite obvious that Apple will polish the maps for its own country. And they have been making A LOT of changes to the UK recently as well. I'm not even sure whether they're putting in any effort for Asia.

Apple's UK changes have taken it from 10% complete to 11% complete. Not to 90%.

PhoneandPad

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Public transport is currently NOT available on Apple maps, much to everyone's dismay. Maybe it'll come some time in the future update, but only time will tell. In the meantime, you'll have to explore 3rd-party alternatives that suit your needs.

Yes everyone is discussion POIs and accuracy, to me the elephant in the room is public transport etc when I am on holiday in who knows which country.

So does anyone know a free app that integrates mapping, walking directions, public transport and compass, across say 30 popular countries?

Er, I meant an IOS app not what comes free on a Samsung.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Was just wondering, is this an example of different data sources for Apple Maps? It's quite obvious. This one's in Japan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 95

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Seriously though, saying its only 11% completed is rather harsh.

Yes, is gross exaggeration - it's maybe like... 8 or 9%

----------

So does anyone know a free app that integrates mapping, walking directions, public transport and compass, across say 30 popular countries?

Er, I meant an IOS app not what comes free on a Samsung.

Apple, in their "wisdom" felt that it would be better to have integration to thousands of apps for transit information, thereby giving the user the "best" variety of experiences. So far You have to use apps for all different places, most of them even lacking an app altogether - I think "The Transit App" does some in the US, but again, no real solution...

----------

Was just wondering, is this an example of different data sources for Apple Maps? It's quite obvious. This one's in Japan.

Yes, this also - although images from various heights aren't all done from the same source. You can sometimes see something like that in Google Sattelite View also - like here:

Y5A25.jpg

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Apple's UK changes have taken it from 10% complete to 11% complete. Not to 90%.

It seems significantly better than it was. No more black and white maps or extremely splodgy maps in the areas I've used it for that used to be there and many more POI's and alot of places fixed. The POI's would be much better if the connection to Yelp was working better, still unclear as to how the Yelp app seems to have tons more than apples maps using yelp....

Also as for the transit, it linked me to a free third party app which now seems to integrate well into the maps app. I like. Very useful and the transit app it linked me to is significantly better and more accurate than google maps for where I've used it. Shows all the bus services, where as google makes up the bus services for me area....

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
It seems significantly better than it was. No more black and white maps or extremely splodgy maps in the areas I've used it for that used to be there and many more POI's and alot of places fixed. The POI's would be much better if the connection to Yelp was working better, still unclear as to how the Yelp app seems to have tons more than apples maps using yelp....

Also as for the transit, it linked me to a free third party app which now seems to integrate well into the maps app. I like. Very useful and the transit app it linked me to is significantly better and more accurate than google maps for where I've used it. Shows all the bus services, where as google makes up the bus services for me area....

Rehashing the transit thing again....ugh

Two approaches, with pros and cons
With google, if they didn't have data on the city, or if their data was wrong, you had no option short of leaving maps and going to a third party app all together.

With Apple you get all the available coverage assuming that at least one app exists for every location. But different apps give different results, just like google gives different results that other apps.

Which is better? who knows. Google failed me plenty, just like some of the 3rd parties fail also. I'm just tired of this assumption that if google does it then that is the gold standard. Plenty of apps are better than google. And last I heard, more choice means better options for consumers.

/why did I start this again....dammit...

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Rehashing the transit thing again....ugh

Two approaches, with pros and cons
With google, if they didn't have data on the city, or if their data was wrong, you had no option short of leaving maps and going to a third party app all together.

With Apple you get all the available coverage assuming that at least one app exists for every location. But different apps give different results, just like google gives different results that other apps.

Which is better? who knows. Google failed me plenty, just like some of the 3rd parties fail also. I'm just tired of this assumption that if google does it then that is the gold standard. Plenty of apps are better than google. And last I heard, more choice means better options for consumers.

/why did I start this again....dammit...

When I read a statement like this, I find it very useful to just reverse the names. So, here goes, same statement, just reversing "Apple" and "Google."

"Two approaches, with pros and cons
With Apple, if they didn't have data on the city, or if their data was wrong, you had no option short of leaving maps and going to a third party app all together."

"With Google you get all the available coverage assuming that at least one app exists for every location. But different apps give different results, just like Apple gives different results that other apps."

"Which is better? who knows. Apple failed me plenty, just like some of the 3rd parties fail also. I'm just tired of this assumption that if Apple does it then that is the gold standard. Plenty of apps are better than Apple. And last I heard, more choice means better options for consumers."

"/why did I start this again....dammit... "

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
When I read a statement like this, I find it very useful to just reverse the names. So, here goes, same statement, just reversing "Apple" and "Google."

"Two approaches, with pros and cons
With Apple, if they didn't have data on the city, or if their data was wrong, you had no option short of leaving maps and going to a third party app all together."

"With Google you get all the available coverage assuming that at least one app exists for every location. But different apps give different results, just like Apple gives different results that other apps."

"Which is better? who knows. Apple failed me plenty, just like some of the 3rd parties fail also. I'm just tired of this assumption that if Apple does it then that is the gold standard. Plenty of apps are better than Apple. And last I heard, more choice means better options for consumers."

"/why did I start this again....dammit... "

My point is that both have pros and cons. I actually said that they both failed me. But your silly "reversing" exercise just makes your whole post wrong. And what is your point again? That Apple and Google have pros and cons? wtf.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
My point is that both have pros and cons. I actually said that they both failed me. But your silly "reversing" exercise just makes your whole post wrong. And what is your point again? That Apple and Google have pros and cons? wtf.

my point: silly in, silly out.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Mr. Farmer...can you help me with my flesh wound?
S1SyW.png

That's pretty poor. I can understand not placing coffee shops and convenience stores correctly, but putting a large hospital in the middle of a field? Was nobody doing any quality control for Apple? It's so unlike them to allow such a shoddy product to be released.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
That's pretty poor. I can understand not placing coffee shops and convenience stores correctly, but putting a large hospital in the middle of a field? Was nobody doing any quality control for Apple? It's so unlike them to allow such a shoddy product to be released.

Apart from maybe the Bay Area, nobody was doing quality control for Apple, that's quite obvious - Hospitals are part of the basic maps (the red area marking) and therefore mostly wrong (because the basic maps is piss poor quality). In my town they left out 2 hospitals and reversed the other two - a failure rate at 100% is pretty impressive I must say.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Yesterday my Garmin didn't know that a road existed here in Raleigh. The Garmin has the newest map so it should have known. I was using my iPhone for co-navigation since it's faster to locate businesses I want to go to. The iPhone took me right to a brand new shopping center that is only 1/3 finished while my Garmin had no idea where it was.

I have seen the pin for stores off by a little and I take the time to submit the correction. Between Tom Tom and Yelp for the info Apple has used there are issues. But as in this case, the iPhone won. By no means do I believe that the maps are better or perfect but they aren't quite as awful as I initially believed. The more I use it and get correct results, to more confident I am in what it tells me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.