Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Watch how you use your iPad. Sitting or laying down in the wrong position could be very very painful. This is from today's local newspaper here in Taiwan "The Apple Daily News"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 654

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Is that like "The Onion" here in the US?

It is a very famous newspaper in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Probably the most read newspaper in both Taiwan and Hong Kong. Just a reminder not to sit or lay down in wrong position for too long of a period of time using your iPad as it could literally damage your spine and lead to a herniated disk.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
It is a very famous newspaper in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Probably the most read newspaper in both Taiwan and Hong Kong. Just a reminder not to sit or lay down in wrong position for too long of a period of time using your iPad as it could literally damage your spine and lead to a herniated disk.

Or, more accurately, "don't sit or lay down in an awkward position for extended periods of time as this person did while using his iPad".

It had nothing to do with the iPad (if it was even a real story).

Of course, he'll probably try to sue Apple now. :rolleyes:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

It's more like an anti-government (not a bad thing) tabloid (this is the bad part) ;-)

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Or, more accurately, "don't sit or lay down in an awkward position for extended periods of time as this person did while using his iPad".

It had nothing to do with the iPad (if it was even a real story).

Of course, he'll probably try to sue Apple now. :rolleyes:

Then they will make laws requiring the manufacturer to put warning labels on the outside package (like on cigarettes) warning end users that prolonged use in an awkward position could be dangerous to your health lol.. ;) Some will call it funny,some stupid and others great depending on how you look at it or use it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Then they will make laws requiring the manufacturer to put warning labels on the outside package (like on cigarettes) warning end users that prolonged use in an awkward position could be dangerous to your health lol.. ;) Some will call it funny,some stupid and others great depending on how you look at it or use it.

Like:

Caution! Your cup of hot coffee is actually hot!

Caution! The pack of peanuts that you're buying actually contains peanuts!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
That poor guy shouldn't be lying in the same position for 3 months like that. :D

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I actually work in the spine field and will say this is a real problem....back in the days, you didnt have people who always looked down whether its to a phone or an ipad.....I have 4 level disc disease and im sure its due to #1 sports as a child....and #2 smartphones and ipads.....

my kids can use their iPods on the weekends, but not looking down, only laying down on their stomach looking up.....if your young enough, this will be a real problem later on in life......be careful...

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
How is using an iPad different than reading a book? Both require your head being lowered and look at the millions of children in school who have books laying on their desks. They have to look down to read.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I actually work in the spine field and will say this is a real problem....back in the days, you didnt have people who always looked down whether its to a phone or an ipad.....I have 4 level disc disease and im sure its due to #1 sports as a child....and #2 smartphones and ipads.....

my kids can use their iPods on the weekends, but not looking down, only laying down on their stomach looking up.....if your young enough, this will be a real problem later on in life......be careful...

Sorry, but are you joking? You don't let your children look down at their iPods, only look up?

What about when they go to school and look down at their books? Or when they eat their dinner and look down at it. Sorry, but that's extreme parenting.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Sorry, but are you joking? You don't let your children look down at their iPods, only look up?

What about when they go to school and look down at their books? Or when they eat their dinner and look down at it. Sorry, but that's extreme parenting.

Obviously im not doing this to the extreme, but yes, if he is watching a movie or something, which is one of the main functions of his iPod, then I dont let him strain his neck for 2 hours straight...he doesnt look down at a book for 2 hours straight. This is not extreme, its being responsible, especially knowing what I know

Lean forward and eventually this happens.
neckcervxray.jpg

And this is most people:
Slouching_in_Front_of_a_Computer_Xray.jpg

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Obviously im not doing this to the extreme, but yes, if he is watching a movie or something, which is one of the main functions of his iPod, then I dont let him strain his neck for 2 hours straight...he doesnt look down at a book for 2 hours straight. This is not extreme, its being responsible, especially knowing what I know

Lean forward and eventually this happens.

And this is most people:

There is a very famous and well known spine surgeon here in Taipei, Taiwan. He spends most of his time looking down at people's spines and looking down doing surgery and now he himself has major spine problems. Poor guy :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.