Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I have almost 500gb of digital audio. What is the best way to access it on my ATV? Not even sure if it's possible to cram all that into iTunes but I'm not thinking that is an option. I know I can mirror but even so,what is the best media player to access a library that large?

----------

I've played around with XBMC a bit...it seems to be pretty cool. Is it the best option?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I have over a 100gb in audio and 2.8-3tb in video and it works well for me. If its organized, I don't see why iTunes wouldn't work.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
just add the folder?
Yup pretty much. I have my iTunes setup so that it actually copies it into some iTunes media folder (not too sure how it works). Not sure if you'd want to do that though (iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Check/uncheck copy files into iTunes media library etc)

You could open the folder, cmd+a, drag and drop into iTunes.. or go into iTunes and go to File -> Add to library -> Select songs from there.

But once you setup home sharing, you'll be able to play all your music through your Apple TV :)

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Yup pretty much. I have my iTunes setup so that it actually copies it into some iTunes media folder (not too sure how it works). Not sure if you'd want to do that though (iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Check/uncheck copy files into iTunes media library etc)

You could open the folder, cmd+a, drag and drop into iTunes.. or go into iTunes and go to File -> Add to library -> Select songs from there.

But once you setup home sharing, you'll be able to play all your music through your Apple TV :)

I think I have realized pretty quickly that this option isn't going to work for me. I'm not nearly as organized and neatly tagged as I'd like. I have all my files tucked neatly into artist folders,then into alpha folders so when I look for an artist and album it is easily found. When I try to get iTunes to add the files it gets all muddied up. I'm guessing XBMC or some other file searching player will be my best option,then use mirroring to my ATV.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I think I have realized pretty quickly that this option isn't going to work for me. I'm not nearly as organized and neatly tagged as I'd like. I have all my files tucked neatly into artist folders,then into alpha folders so when I look for an artist and album it is easily found. When I try to get iTunes to add the files it gets all muddied up. I'm guessing XBMC or some other file searching player will be my best option,then use mirroring to my ATV.
Well, what's your goal? You can output sound from your computer to your ATV without mirroring or having your music in iTunes. Do you just want music through the speakers connected to your ATV?

Because if you want to be able to select songs from your ATV, you're gonna have to put 'em in iTunes. If you just mirror, you'll have to sit at your Mac anyway.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Well, what's your goal? You can output sound from your computer to your ATV without mirroring or having your music in iTunes. Do you just want music through the speakers connected to your ATV?

Because if you want to be able to select songs from your ATV, you're gonna have to put 'em in iTunes. If you just mirror, you'll have to sit at your Mac anyway.

Yeah,on music pretty much just playing tunes through the ATV. I don't really mind setting at my Mac(right by my easy chair :) ). Is there a way to accomplish that without iTunes or mirroring?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Yeah,on music pretty much just playing tunes through the ATV. I don't really mind setting at my Mac(right by my easy chair :) ). Is there a way to accomplish that without iTunes or mirroring?
Hold option and click on the speaker (volume button) in the menu bar (next to the date/time), click on Apple TV as the output device :)

jpix55

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Southern California
Hold option and click on the speaker (volume button) in the menu bar (next to the date/time), click on Apple TV as the output device :)

This is a great tip. I learn something new about holding down the option button everyday. I think I am just going to hold down option while clicking everything just to see what I can do! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.