Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gc15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
I just recently got a Mac and I'm wondering what's the best way I should try to transfer my data without losing it. Also what's the best way to get my music library and app library from my old computer to the new one? My main concern with syncing is I'm afraid I will lose all my contacts, photos, notes, and apps on my phone. Could I sync some of that to iCloud, but how much can I sync to that? I'm open for whatever suggestion anybody can give me.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I just recently got a Mac and I'm wondering what's the best way I should try to transfer my data without losing it. Also what's the best way to get my music library and app library from my old computer to the new one? My main concern with syncing is I'm afraid I will lose all my contacts, photos, notes, and apps on my phone. Could I sync some of that to iCloud, but how much can I sync to that? I'm open for whatever suggestion anybody can give me.

I would set up "Backup to iCloud" if you haven't already. It will backup everything minus photos (not sure about the photos, but I think there's a limit).

I would plug in your iPhone and right click on the device. Click on "Transfer purchases" and that should push all your content into iTunes.

Make sure your content went into iTunes before making any further backups (locally).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.