Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not getting an error message at all. I seem to have about 5 queued up to be done. Nothing seems to be converting. They are 100% H.246 files.

I'll give it another go tonight to see where i'm going wrong.

In queued mode, it indeed doesn't print any error message. Try directly (without enqueuing) converting a video to see what happens (what error message is printed).

----------

Ouch, worst ones for me were the extended Lord of the Rings, each 1080 video was around 20 GB, those took a long time each.

6 hours each for standard definition content with a not-that-advanced preset (iPad 3)? Ouch. There must have been something fundamentally wrong with your settings. On a 2009 c2d 3.06GHz iMac running Lion, 1080p24 content (a direct two-hour, 35 GB VC-1 BD rip MKV of Red Cliff) is transcoded to H.264 (q=20) in 9:35 (HP profile) / 3:05 (Normal profile). (I've tested this with both the latest nightly and the current stable, official version of HB.) SD material would have been converted in much less time.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
In queued mode, it indeed doesn't print any error message. Try directly (without enqueuing) converting a video to see what happens (what error message is printed).

I didn't even know I was queueing files :(

How do you clear the "queue" as i'm sure when I get home i'll still have about 5 sitting there from a few months ago. lol

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Just press the Delete key on your keyboard after selecting each record.

mmmm I'll have to look into this as I don't remember seeing any records just a red "5" badge on the app.

I won't waste your time any more untill I look at it as I suspect i'm being a complete idiot! haha

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
mmmm I'll have to look into this as I don't remember seeing any records just a red "5" badge on the app.

I won't waste your time any more untill I look at it as I suspect i'm being a complete idiot! haha

It's under Window > Show Queue.

BTW, here's a full article I've written on using the queue in Subler:

Using the queue in the excellent, free MKV->MP4 converter Subler

You may have wondered whether you can just drop a bunch of MKV files in Subler, the free but still excellent MKV remuxer, to quickly convert them. As this very useful feature, being only recently (as of version 0.16 a month ago) added to the app, is not widely known, I've decided to publish a complete tutorial on it.

First, there're two ways of queuing the source MKV files in Subler. The first is the well-known, traditional way: using Open.

The traditional way: File / Open

You may already know the start of the workflow used here: you open the MKV file (File > Open or Cmd + O) and deselect checkboxes / change audio transcoding / passthruing actions in the next, “Select Tracks” dialog.

After clicking Add (or pressing Enter on the keyboard), however, you don't File > Save (Cmd + S) the output MP4 file but select File > Send to Queue instead:
3d02f5dbe58a4d1993733a098dd1b040-214x344.png

Then, you'll be presented exactly the same dialog as using File > Save: you can supply the saved filename and whether 64-bit chunks should be used (make sure you tick it for files over 4 Gbytes!). An example of saving the Iron Sky teaser MKV (available HERE):
5e3862af573e1f4d3e9518bd3d5ec80e-734x619.png

(Note that I haven't enabled the native Blue-Ray subs (bdpg) during opening the file so that it can be remuxed; hence the video + audio track only setup. More on the bdpg-incompatibilities later.)

After this, via Window > Show Queue, you'll see the files you've queued:
a586a1bce107e611ffe00e7e2f1fc958-451x397.png

Then, after having finished queueing your files, just click Start in the bottom right (annotated by a red rectangle)

There is an even faster, albeit a bit restricted way of adding files:

Dragging the source MKV files into the queue directly

Should you just display the queue (see the above-mentioned Window > Show Queue), you can directly drop MKV files on it. It's easier but has some problems.

Problems compared to the manually opening + enqueuing approach:

- DTS audio tracks are passed thru to the output MP4 file and aren't converted to AAC, as opposed to the default conversion in the other, manual modes. This won't cause problems for desktop players like VLC but neither iTunes nor, albeit you'll be able to synchronize the videos to them, iOS devices (including the Apple TV) won't play this audio track at all – all you'll hear will be silence. (Note that I'll elaborate on handling the native Blue-Ray audio track formats, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD HR / MA and LPCM (more info HERE), in a later article.)

- MKV files with graphical subtitles like native Blue-Ray subs (bdpg) will be tried to be converted with the subtitles passed thru; of course, this will fail. (This is why dragging the above-mentioned Iron Sky trailer into the queue will eventually result in a useless “remuxed” file.) There is no way of making Subler not try to process these incompatible subtitles.

- the “ready” icons will always be the same for all the files - for non-converted files as well. Fortunately, you'll always be able to quickly find out which files haven't been converted by just sorting the output files by size. The ones under around 1 kBytes will all be non-converted.

Additional notes on the automatic mode

As far as the AC3 → AAC conversion is concerned (again, you may only want to use AC3 if you specifically remux for the Apple TV!), the conversion will take (or not) place according to the conversion-enabling setting "Convert AC3 Audio to AAC" you can change in Preferences > Audio:

ef34158c029f63d61db2ea3e3f4c1622-514x310.png

Basically, if you convert for iOS devices, you will need to enable this checkbox.

iceandlime

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Hi, I have a question about iflicks, it's possible it's straightforward, but it seems a little odd to me.

I had an MKV file that came in at 8.88GB, and I transfered it to itunes in the appletv3 option. The resulting file is 3.52GB. This seems like a huge compression without losing quality.

Is doing this going to have any negative quality issues?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Hi, I have a question about iflicks, it's possible it's straightforward, but it seems a little odd to me.

I had an MKV file that came in at 8.88GB, and I transfered it to itunes in the appletv3 option. The resulting file is 3.52GB. This seems like a huge compression without losing quality.

File size alone is not an indicator of quality. If you use a more efficient encoder, you can maintain quality within a smaller file. Your eyes/ears will make the final determination.

iceandlime

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
File size alone is not an indicator of quality. If you use a more efficient encoder, you can maintain quality within a smaller file. Your eyes/ears will make the final determination.

Thanks. I did try and compare them and couldn't find any really hugely obvious differences, I was just more curious as to how with such a huge difference in size it could retain quality. Glad that it does though! Should save me some space!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks. I did try and compare them and couldn't find any really hugely obvious differences, I was just more curious as to how with such a huge difference in size it could retain quality. Glad that it does though! Should save me some space!
You may want to try Handbrake's (free) aTV3 preset on the same file and see what file size it yields. A lot of development goes on by the Handbrake developers and they use the latest and greatest.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Can I automate the process from when files are in my download folder they are sent to iFlicks and converted?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

You may have wondered whether you can just drop a bunch of MKV files in Subler, the free but still excellent MKV remuxer, to quickly convert them. As this very useful feature, being only recently (as of version 0.16 a month ago) added to the app, is not widely known, I've decided to publish a complete tutorial on it.

First, there're two ways of queuing the source MKV files in Subler. The first is the well-known, traditional way: using Open.

You may already know the start of the workflow used here: you open the MKV file (File > Open or Cmd + O) and deselect checkboxes / change audio transcoding / passthruing actions in the next, “Select Tracks” dialog.

After clicking Add (or pressing Enter on the keyboard), however, you don't File > Save (Cmd + S) the output MP4 file but select File > Send to Queue instead:

Then, you'll be presented exactly the same dialog as using File > Save: you can supply the saved filename and whether 64-bit chunks should be used (make sure you tick it for files over 4 Gbytes!). An example of saving the Iron Sky teaser MKV (available HERE):

(Note that I haven't enabled the native Blue-Ray subs (bdpg) during opening the file so that it can be remuxed; hence the video + audio track only setup. More on the bdpg-incompatibilities later.)

Then, after having finished queueing your files, just click Start in the bottom right (annotated by a red rectangle)

Should you just display the queue (see the above-mentioned Window > Show Queue), you can directly drop MKV files on it. It's easier but has some problems.

- DTS audio tracks are passed thru to the output MP4 file and aren't converted to AAC, as opposed to the default conversion in the other, manual modes. This won't cause problems for desktop players like VLC but neither iTunes nor, albeit you'll be able to synchronize the videos to them, iOS devices (including the Apple TV) won't play this audio track at all – all you'll hear will be silence. (Note that I'll elaborate on handling the native Blue-Ray audio track formats, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD HR / MA and LPCM (more info HERE), in a later article.)

- MKV files with graphical subtitles like native Blue-Ray subs (bdpg) will be tried to be converted with the subtitles passed thru; of course, this will fail. (This is why dragging the above-mentioned Iron Sky trailer into the queue will eventually result in a useless “remuxed” file.) There is no way of making Subler not try to process these incompatible subtitles.

- the “ready” icons will always be the same for all the files - for non-converted files as well. Fortunately, you'll always be able to quickly find out which files haven't been converted by just sorting the output files by size. The ones under around 1 kBytes will all be non-converted.

As far as the AC3 → AAC conversion is concerned (again, you may only want to use AC3 if you specifically remux for the Apple TV!), the conversion will take (or not) place according to the conversion-enabling setting "Convert AC3 Audio to AAC" you can change in Preferences > Audio:

Basically, if you convert for iOS devices, you will need to enable this checkbox.

Really kind of you to post that! Thanks.

I tried again (before reading this) the other night and the files I tam trying to remus are x264. Are they the same as H.264?

The files (icons) are just white pages. Nothing can play them.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Now that I've imported several seasons of my shows is there a way for them to appear as such?

The big bang theory
Season 1​
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3
.....​
Season 2​
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​

Rather then

The big bang theory Season 1
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​
The big bang theory Season 2
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
If I have a windows 7 laptop what are my choices, or what is the best choice, to remux Mkv formatted movies to mp4 or m4v? Also for remuxing avi files?

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia

MKV also seems like a bit of an inefficient container for file sizes as well from my personal experience. Let your eyes/ears do the perception not the file size. If it still looks the same then that's what counts.

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I guess you could mark them all as the same season and just adjust the episode number. That could lead to a lot of scrolling when you want to watch an episode from season 5 though :(

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
I guess you could mark them all as the same season and just adjust the episode number. That could lead to a lot of scrolling when you want to watch an episode from season 5 though :(

My episodes are already sorted by season as mentioned in my previous post.
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​

So since the information for the season, episode name and number is there adding all the episodes of the big bang would be in the same compilation. From there I can chose which episode to watch. No?

Jim.R

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
UK
A quick google suggests that the "Compilation" checkbox has no effect with videos.
You could always create a playlist?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
A quick google suggests that the "Compilation" checkbox has no effect with videos.
You could always create a playlist?

It worked with a two part documentary that I have. I selected both episodes set them as part of a compilation. now they appear as such.

Documentary
Documentary pt 1
Documentary pt 2​

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Handbrake and iFlicks is all you need. It takes care of everything I need to convert anything to iTunes. For music I use MediaHuman Audio Converter.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 21, 2011
Handbrake and iFlicks is all you need. It takes care of everything I need to convert anything to iTunes. For music I use MediaHuman Audio Converter.

I've tried HandBrake several times I never really like how it works. I've been using iFlicks non stop for the trial period I will be buying it this weekend.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Now that I've imported several seasons of my shows is there a way for them to appear as such?

The big bang theory
Season 1​
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3
.....​
Season 2​
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​

Rather then

episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3​

The only way to really do this is to treat the Disc Number field as Season and Track Number field as Episode (and you could use the actual episode field for a total episode number, so Season 2 Episode 1 would be Episode 23 or something).

This would put everything under one listing. So it would be:

The Big Bang Theory
Disc 1 (Season 1)​
Track 1 (Episode 1)
Track 2 (Episode 2)
Track 3 (Episode 3)
.....​
Disc 2 (Season 2)​
Track 1 (Episode 23)
Track 2 (Episode 24)
Track 3 (Episode 25)​

Not ideal, but it is a workaround.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

Sorry to bother you with my nonsense again but I tried subler again last night. When I have a file sitting in the queue (MKV) I press start and it is "done" in a millisecond. the output file says .mp4 but the file size is 456Kb which obviously isn't right.

Where am I going wrong? :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.