Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
USA
I think Apple should do something like they did with the iPhone 4 Free Case Program for this. Not sure what they could do but I spent $400 on a phone and I've had it for one week. Already has 2 small knicks in the bezel. My Griffin Reveal case wont arrive soon enough!!!!

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Tried this.. .didnt stick to the phones antenna band at all. Went on well, dried, then rubbed right off

Well that doesn't sound promising. I think cleaning it with Alcohol first as mentioned earlier in this tread would help it adhere better. Then again it may not help at all but it’s probably worth a shot. If there is any grease on the phone from your hands then I can see the paint/marker sliding off easier.

----------

The one with the girl on the back looks pretty cool but the other ones were pretty ugly. It looks a lot better on the white version I think. It would kill resale value a little to much for me to try it.

Brian N

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
I posted this in the other thread. Seems like it would do good in this one as well.

Anyone else think of trying "Birchwood Casey Aluma Black Touch Up"? Costs about $10 for a bottle.

It is used to touch up Anodized Surfaces on guns. It actually chemically reacts (selenious acid) with the exposed aluminum scratch and makes it black again. From gun reviewers it seems to work pretty well. And doesn't affect the rest of the anodized finish. I wonder how well it will work for our black anodized iphone's.

Again this is different than a Sharpie or even the Birchwood touch up pens (which is paint) that come in matte and gloss black as well. This actually changes the surface of the metal.

My only concern is how it would react to the plastic antenna points if those areas near it were scratched. It comes in a plastic container so maybe it will be fine? I would also probably use painters tape to mask other "vulnerable" areas. If replacement backs weren't so much money I would experiment on it.

Thoughts...?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
My birchwood touch up pen in glossy black came in so I gave it a shot. I wanted to do it on the smallest of the 3 scuffs that came on my phone so sorry if its hard to see.

Step 1: put some alcohol on a paper towel and wiped the scuff good to get it clean.

Step 2: shook up pen and dabbed some paint on a paper plate.

Step 3: dipped plastic toothpick in paint and lightly dabbed it on the phone.

Step 4: checked scuff and there was still a lighter area showing threw.

Step 5: put more paint on plate and applied some more to the phone with the toothpick

That was it. It was easy and came out looking great. Tomorrow I will put my incipio frequency case on and take it off to see how it holds up. Below are some pics. The scuff is right below the power button. I really can't see anything on there now so I think it worked really well. I will update on weather or not it sticks. I wouldn't try the glossy on the flat areas but it seems to match the chamfered edge really well. I'm not doing the other 2 scuffs yet because I'm still thinking about exchanging it.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Here is the scuff right below the power button. Yes it's very small.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 1,510

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Here is the first after pic. Can't see it at all in most light

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 1,471

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
With light shining directly on it you can see a slightly lighter color but you really have to look for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.3 KB · Views: 1,389

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
My phone got dinged hitting the rail in my car between the seat and center console. I used the pen, looks better than silver but a lot blacker than the bluish grayish "slate." don't know if it will last yet.

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
My replacement is due to arrive from Apple tomorrow. Hopefully no chips/scratches/dead pixels. If not, gonna have to go for a white one (which is not ideal)..

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
Replacement iPhone 5 just arrived from Apple. So far, so good. No dings, chips or dead pixels. Hopefully this is a keeper as I don't really want a white one..

9a6a2y2y.jpg

egute6ap.jpg

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Replacement iPhone 5 just arrived from Apple. So far, so good. No dings, chips or dead pixels. Hopefully this is a keeper as I don't really want a white one..

Congrats, it looks great!

I am happy to report that the birchwood paint is sticking really well to the phone. I have taken my incipio case on and off a couple times and paint has not rubbed off. I think I am just going to repair the other 2 spots and keep my iPhone instead of trying for a second replacement.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks for the update. The black iPhone 5 really does look great. Just wish there weren't these chipping issues. I could not deal with it over time especually during the first couple months of ownership.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for the update. The black iPhone 5 really does look great. Just wish there weren't these chipping issues. I could not deal with it over time especually during the first couple months of ownership.

All of the scuffs were there when I got it. I’ve used a case 90% of the time but it hasn't scuffed the aluminum despite changing out cases quite a bit. It doesn't scuff as easy as I thought it would. I could just get mine replaced but everything is perfect except for the scuffs so I figured I would just repair them and be done with it. I have heard quite a few people say that there black 5 is still perfect without using a case so I think some phones scuff easier than others.

marcobrien

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
My first one had chips on the front edge out of the box & grew worse over the first few days (all on the same front edge adjacent to the screen). So far this 2nd replacement has no marks at all & hasn't developed any yet.

Hopefully the reports of Apple tightening Foxconn's quality control are true.

Will keep you updated..

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
I got the eBay knock off of the Poetic atmosphere case and after struggling to get it off it seems to have taken the Birchwood paint off the phone. I think it would work ok on a naked phone but it seems like some cases may take it off. It was still fine after using a switch easy tones case and the Incipio frequency case. Luckily I went to the store this weekend and was able to get a replacement that is pretty much perfect. Hopefully I won’t have to use the pen again until time to sell.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I know it's been a while since somebody's posted in this thread, but I went to my local Bass Pro Shops and bought one of the Birchwood Casey Super Black touch-up pens in gloss black (for the chamfered edge). It was $10, which is twice as much as online, but I don't like waiting :).

I don't know if I'm using too much of the paint or not. I put a few drops onto a piece of paper, dabbed a toothpick into it a little bit, and started covering up some scuffs on the edge of my iPhone 5. One can easily tell that I used the paint on the edge, so I'm wondering if I used too much or not... I guess I could clean it off and try again, but I'm not positive about this method.

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
It was a waste of $10. Might come in handy for other things, though. Will get another (final) replacement tomorrow.

Mine didn't come this way. It scuffed after I dropped it six inches onto a particle board desk. Took a 2mm long chip out of the glossy edge. It's BS.

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I know it's been a while since somebody's posted in this thread, but I went to my local Bass Pro Shops and bought one of the Birchwood Casey Super Black touch-up pens in gloss black (for the chamfered edge). It was $10, which is twice as much as online, but I don't like waiting :).

I don't know if I'm using too much of the paint or not. I put a few drops onto a piece of paper, dabbed a toothpick into it a little bit, and started covering up some scuffs on the edge of my iPhone 5. One can easily tell that I used the paint on the edge, so I'm wondering if I used too much or not... I guess I could clean it off and try again, but I'm not positive about this method.

Thats a shame to hear-I was hoping this ^ would be the answer. Why don't you try again and post some pics?

JBryan84

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I bought my black iPhone 5 on release day, today just noticed a huge nick on left side of antenna band. What's the chances the Apple store Genius will replace my phone when I go in tomorrow? I do not have apple care. I did not cause the damage, never dropped phone and its always been in pocket with a microfiber cloth. Let me know your opinions please.

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I bought my black iPhone 5 on release day, today just noticed a huge nick on left side of antenna band. What's the chances the Apple store Genius will replace my phone when I go in tomorrow? I do not have apple care. I did not cause the damage, never dropped phone and its always been in pocket with a microfiber cloth. Let me know your opinions please.

Just tell them that it's had that scuff since launch day and that you wanted to wait until some better replacement models were produced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.