Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When it comes to the 'SCREEN', the shortcomings of the display seem to be:
  1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.
Has anyone experienced any of these concerns? Better yet,compared and contrasted the mini with the Kindle Fire.

I've read the similar reviews and/or complaints and here's my $.02 on the subject.

First you need to see first hand the screen before fully judging the mini.

I've not noticed the color gamut, I'm happy with how images/colors are represented.

As for the text, its about the same as my iPad 1 but worse the my Kindle touch (which is to be expected). One major use of the mini for me is reading and I'm able to do that problem free for extended periods. So to text point, I'm not incurring any issues and while this is quite subjective I'm happy with it. I will say I have rather poor eye sight (nearly blind in one eye) and so the text is not causing me any further issues

The screen is quite reflective, I'm not sure why is so much more then its competitors, as I use it, I find I tilt it slightly and it solves the problem.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I've read the similar reviews and/or complaints and here's my $.02 on the subject.

Thanks for the 'legitimate and thoughtful' response to the OP. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. The higher reflections I believe are due to the different glass apple has used for the mini.

The kindle fire for example uses a: 1920x1200 HD display with polarizing filter and anti-glare technology for rich color and deep contrast from any viewing angle. Points 1, 2, and 3 are eliminated by using their display.

I guess you are right, I will have to compare them in person to make a decision. It is frustrating to be honest that apple would half-bake this product. I was looking forward to it too.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Hilarious comments. I think everyone is tired of the Mini screen topics. If you don't like it, then get the retina iPad 3/4.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the 'legitimate and thoughtful' response to the OP. This is exactly what I wanted to hear. The higher reflections I believe are due to the different glass apple has used for the mini.

The kindle fire for example uses a: 1920x1200 HD display with polarizing filter and anti-glare technology for rich color and deep contrast from any viewing angle. Points 1, 2, and 3 are eliminated by using their display.

I guess you are right, I will have to compare them in person to make a decision. It is frustrating to be honest that apple would half-bake this product. I was looking forward to it too.

yeah but there were already tons of threads like this that you could have found the answer you were looking for. do you think you were the only one that had an issue with the screen?

and I wouldn't call it half-baked because not all the technology is there yet.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Listen, OP, maybe 0.5% of Macrumors members have the same qualifications as the author of the article you read. However, odds are none of those people are participating in this thread.

You read the article, you know what it says.

Without trying out all of the competition yourself then there is no real world meaning to all of the numbers in that article, trust me. Again, not many here have tried all three. The ones that have, have already gave you their opinion.

At the end of the day it comes down to real world use, and though I am heavily disappointed in the Mini's screen, the experience still beats the competition. I tried the Nexus 7 and Mini and I much prefer the Mini. Retina differences aside (the main issue), everything else is spot on which makes the screen irrelevant when you compare it to the actual experience of competitors.

I don't even consider the Fire HD a competitor to the Mini or Nexus, considering it isn't even the full android experience.

Go out and buy the Mini and Nexus, then you will know.

Oh, and please don't listen to these videos that attempt to compare the two based on tangible, obvious, and performance variables. The experience is intangible. Sure, the Mini might be the thinnest and lightest of the competition, while having arguably the most disappointing screen, but you still have to use it and compare it with what is available personally to know.

Last edited:

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I haven't encountered any issues in my usage.

I didn't buy this thing because of the amount of screen glare it has when compared to the competition.

I looked at what the competition did well, then looked at what the ipad did well, and decided I wanted to spend my money on the ipad.

Next year Apple will release an improved ipad mini, and you know what, if I like the look of that, I'll buy one of them too.

I'm not losing sleep over how the specs compare. It's all about the experience, and for me, the ipad offers the best one.

Well said.

My only concern is a possible quality variance with the Mini screens. I've read reports on here of some users dealing with noticeably pixelated text and purple darks compared to other Mini screens, particularly those on display at the Apple store.

I'm really excited to get one of these but I just hope I don't have to deal with any of those issues.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
They're only actual "issues" if the person using the device sees them that way. The Mini isn't perfect for everyone, but it's great for a lot of people. Have you used a Mini at all, or are you basing everything off this article?

Unless you were at the keynote, all the preorders and those standing in line day 1 didn't see it either. Why does it have to be directed at you? Are you defending something you feel insecure about?:confused:

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
While I admittedly have not seen a mini yet, I can't imagine using a non-retina display.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Unless you were at the keynote, all the preorders and those standing in line day 1 didn't see it either. Why does it have to be directed at you? Are you defending something you feel insecure about?:confused:

First, nothing was directed personally at me, and I didn't take anything personally. Now that the OP has gone back and changed his original posts and all the others prior to this morning, the original context of this discussion has changed drastically. The original post was somewhat hostile, and was simply a regurgitation of a review from someone else. There was no asking for people's actual experiences, as there is now. Since you came in after everything was modified, please don't make assumptions about what the original conversation was.

Second, I'm not feeling defensive or insecure about anything. My point was that no single device is perfect for everyone; people have different needs and different things that they consider to be important. Complaining about a device based solely on one review, without ever touching the device, seems silly to me. We all know by now that the specs on the screen aren't the best out there. Specs are one thing, real-world experiences are another. I was simply trying to say, as were most others, that basing one's entire opinion off of someone else's review, without using the device for yourself, isn't making a very informed decision.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I remember the iPad 2 had a fairly weak color gamut. Is the iPad Mini at least better?

It's pretty much my only ongoing complaint about the 2. But it must not be all that horrible as I still have mine and haven't upgraded. :)

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Thanks for the 'legitimate and thoughtful' response to the OP. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I'm really, honestly not trying to be rude here, but if you wanted 'legitimate and thoughtful' responses, then you should have written an OP that actually asked for information. The editing that you've done to all your posts in this thread completely changes the entire context of everything that was said. You could have left the original post as it was and written a clarification under it, and that way the original flow of the thread would have been maintained. The way you went through and modified everything makes the thread more difficult to follow, and quite honestly, seems a bit shady.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I'm really, honestly not trying to be rude here, but if you wanted 'legitimate and thoughtful' responses, then you should have written an OP that actually asked for information. The editing that you've done to all your posts in this thread completely changes the entire context of everything that was said. You could have left the original post as it was and written a clarification under it, and that way the original flow of the thread would have been maintained. The way you went through and modified everything makes the thread more difficult to follow, and quite honestly, seems a bit shady.

Quite the contrary actually. While perhaps it was initially worded in a more hostile manner, the concerns still stand. Not to mention, this clearly wasn't just some wha wha no retina or I have a spec of dust under my screen so hate apple rant.

I never asked, hey want do you think of your device - in general. Moreover, I am glad so many love their mini but that is not what this thread was about. It's just amazing that so many feel the need to defend and justify their purchase. Granted, even if I said that all apple users are (insert explicit), why would that bother you or anyone?

If anyone feels discussing these points are boring or insignificant to your needs, then don't freagin post or respond about them. I never asked for a committee to determine what your thought about the importance of these points is, now did I.

When I am paying over $459 + tax for a 7" tablet, the quality of the screen matters to me. Evidently, what is clear is that detailed technical questions like this cannot be asked or answered on macrumours; which is precisely why I reworded the OP.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
This all reminds me of this classic Apple Text display issue...
The second-generation iBook G3 (12.1 in) had some weird DSP on the text to remove aliasing that rendered text very soft!
iPad Mini Reflections are one problem but judging it in a dark room should eliminate that variable. I fear that something else is causing the text to render 'unsharp'.
Allow me to point out that the Nexus7 has a greater resolution density and that may be a clue.
Does the iPad Mini's lower resolution density cause the text to appear soft? I will run test between the two Tablets soon.

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Confession: just exchanged iPad 4 for Mini

This all reminds me of this classic Apple Text display issue...
The second-generation iBook G3 (12.1 in) had some weird DSP on the text to remove aliasing that rendered text very soft!
iPad Mini Reflections are one problem but judging it in a dark room should eliminate that variable. I fear that something else is causing the text to render 'unsharp'.
Allow me to point out that the Nexus7 has a greater resolution density and that may be a clue.
Does the iPad Mini's lower resolution density cause the text to appear soft? I will run test between the two Tablets soon.

I preordered both the iPad 4 and Mini. I've had both now for a couple of weeks and have been able to use them both extensively. I had every expectation of going with the 4.

The mini does (to my eye) have a much more reflective screen, the text is not "sharp" and the colors are muted when compared to the 4 as the OP stated. There is just no denying this. The colors on the 4 really pop and the text is crystal clear. However, in the end, I returned the 4 (yesterday) and went with the 32gb cellular version of the mini. Why? I travel for a living and the portability of the Mini trumped the obvious advantages of the 4 (display, colors, etc...). I know what I'm getting with the Mini's screen.....it's acceptable to me....although not exceptional. I accept the mini for what it is....and it's quite a nice little device.

Performance wise...both seem to to everything well. The 4 might be a bit faster here or there....but nothing that noticeable....at least to my eye!

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Not problems for me

All I can say is that specifications and test results don't tell the whole story and there is no substitute for having a look yourself

As to reflections, Apple has been using shiney glass screens on most of its products for years. Some folks like, it, some folks don't, but it doesn't seem to detract from purchases or customer satisfaction.

As to sharpness, the minis DPI is better than some and not as good as others. After years of being happy with an iPad 1&2 I find the mini just fine. You have to ask if there is a practical difference for you. I find this resolution good and prefer the size/weight/heat/battery benefits associated with this lower resolution. I would in no way call text on this screen "not sharp".

I find video and photos on the minis screen pleasing and attractive. You can find better and worse screens. How important is the difference in color gambut important to the things you do on this device?

I'm not disputing any test results. Just saying they are not the whole story and you have to evaluate the whole package yourself. The mini is great for me but it may or may not be for you.

After having a read of displaymate's detailed analysis of the new mini screen, their following observations are a real concern. Particularly when considering that the mini is more likely to be used in different environments and lighting conditions.

When it comes to the 'SCREEN', the shortcomings of the display seem to be:
  1. Very High screen reflections. Up to 53% higher than the competition.
  2. Text is not sharp.
  3. Low color gamut.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

Has anyone experienced any of these concerns? Better yet,compared and contrasted the mini with the Kindle Fire.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
let's always keep in mind that our love for Apple aside, Apple itself positions the iPad Mini as a contender in the hot e-reader market space. Emphasis on 'E-Reader'. That's why text readability is even more important on this form-factor than on the larger ipads.
Tablet makers are still a way from meeting all my use requirements for a 7" but they are getting so close, even as their prices start to climb.
When they do finally offer these features, I expect the prices to top $1,250/tablet in 2014.
1) Tablet as ubiquitous and pervasive video monitor for all connected video generators (Nearby security cameras offline,digital video cameras, digital still cameras, Medical and other diagnostic tools on the front end)
2) Media storage to extend memory capacity
3) Upgradable batteries and processors.
4) Universal mounting system

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i just got my 4g mini. i swear they use a different screen on the display models. it looked like a non issue in the store but now that i have it home i can see the blurry text. but its still not an issue i love the mini im just spoiled by my retina ipad 3. i would of gotten an ipad 4 if they slimmed it down and trimmed the bezel i would of stuck with it. but they didnt so apple made us choose.

next gen form factor last gen screen

or

next gen screen last gen form factor.

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
OP is an obvious troll and he's laughing at the 3 pages of people arguing with him.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
Well, as with any gadget, it has to be seen -and compared- in person. Because all this is subjective, and what you like or not will be different than the next person likes or dislikes.

I can't say anything about "the competition", but I can tell you what I think (and feel) about the mini's display :

1- Glare. Yes, it does have it. Unfortunately that's an ongoing default in the computer industry. They used to make matte displays, they don't anymore, which I never understood (I guess matte displays are more expensive to make ?). So reading in the sun on the mini is not good. Could double as a mirror. But then, it's only a problem in the full sun, and I guess it's not alone there. Now, when reading in the shade or inside, it's perfect. Much better than my laptop, for example.

2- Text is not sharp. Well, to me it is. It's not "retina sharp" but still very good and not a problem at all. It's just... wait... normal. And I'm guessing it has much more to do with the content itself and the infamous Mac font rendering than it does with the screen quality.

3- What was 3 again ? Ah yes, color. I don't know, and don't give a fig, about what lab color testing robots say, since I don't have one of those implanted in my eyes or brain. It's, again, totally normal. Not "TV-on-display-in-store-over-saturated" and not washed-out either. It's just... normal.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
"There's nothing wrong with the iPad mini screen, you're just looking at it wrong"

... sorry I couldn't resist... antennagate

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.