Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:33 AM   #1
teknikal90
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Siri sucks!

I thought Siri was okay - it's still beta right?
Well, until I realized what other companies can do if they get their acts together... Tried the Google app on iPhone and holy man, that thing runs circles around Siri... The speed of the voice recognition is impressive and it can tolerate mistakes and stutters! The speed at which it gives back answers is Wayy better than Siri too. And for a lot of facts, Siri just shows you a wolfram data sheet whereas google says it out loud!

All this for a product that only took google a few months to make... What are you doing with your time apple??? Show me some legitimate good work that you've done this past year!!

If only google has ios's ecosystem and jony ive's design...they'd be amazing
__________________
Logic Pro and Mainstage 3 User. I use iOS a lot.
teknikal90 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Quu
macrumors 68000
 
Quu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I agree. The google search app is way ahead of Siri. The voice to text alone is so much faster it's instantaneous.

I love my iPhone 5 but I'm disappointed with the software it's just not progressing fast enough.
__________________
Notebook: 17" C2D MBP, 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, SSD+HDD, Mavericks
Desktop: Three 30", Ci7 3930K, OS X Mavericks, 32GB RAM, 2xGTX780 SLI, 840 Pro SSD
iOS Devices: iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Air 16GB WiFi
Quu is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 01:45 AM   #3
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
No product in this world is perfect. We'll just have to bear with the negatives, in this case, Siri.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Sh4wN
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
It's just sad. Apple had a mile-long headstart, Siri was better than anything else at launch. They should have worked constantly on it, both on features and speed and it could have been amazing. Now... it's just alright.
Sh4wN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 03:53 AM   #5
Blackberryroid
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: /private/var/vm/
Apple is dying slowly and painfully. That's how I see it, at least.
Blackberryroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 04:03 AM   #6
bigjobby
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, UK
To say it sucks is a tad harsh. Its OK, just OK.
bigjobby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:21 AM   #7
slimbek
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Apple should have swallowed their pride and held back on their Google vendetta.

Removing the potential partnership of Google software from the equation was one of their biggest mistakes.
slimbek is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:23 AM   #8
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I also agree about Google Voice Search.

When Siri fails, Google works every time.

Common apple, whats happening with you guys???

.
__________________
'10 MBP 13 iP 4S, iP 4, iP 3GS 2G iPod Touch 5G iPod nano 2G aTV Newton 110
NedBookPro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:25 AM   #9
dhlizard
macrumors G3
 
dhlizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Jailbreak Community
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryroid View Post
Apple is dying slowly and painfully. That's how I see it, at least.
Why are you here ? And using Apple products ?

Look, none of us is naive enough to believe Apple is doing everything right, but in every thread I read I see some Apple bashing post from you.

While everyone has a right to "chime in" on a thread, if Apple is not meeting your requirements, shouldn't you just move on to something that does ?
Berating Apple in every thread won't contribute to you finding a better wireless solution.
__________________
iPhone 6+ iPhone 5S
iPad 4 iPad Air AppleTV 2
MacBook Pro Two iMacs

Look for me here
dhlizard is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:30 AM   #10
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Jesus Christ.

Siri is built in to the OS.

Google voice is a feature of a dedicated App.

FFS!!!!
__________________
If youíre busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:32 AM   #11
Quu
macrumors 68000
 
Quu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4wN View Post
It's just sad. Apple had a mile-long headstart, Siri was better than anything else at launch. They should have worked constantly on it, both on features and speed and it could have been amazing. Now... it's just alright.
Same could be said for iOS in general to be honest. I think that is probably why Scott Forstall was let go. It's not just Maps and Siri it's that iOS has stagnated and its competitors are quickly reiterating on the finger touch interface that Apple popularized.

When you look back the last few years apart from the introduction of Siri every feature introduced to iOS so far has been a "Finally!" moment. Not a "wow I never thought of that!". Background Wallpapers, 3rd Party Applications, Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Notification Menu, Grouped email Inboxes, Game Centre.

When was the last time they introduced a feature that you didn't already want the phone to have months or years ago? We are still wanting customization, better multitasking, widgets. Basic stuff that competitor devices already have.

And when I say customization I'm not just talking some theme packs I'm talking completely different keyboards, ability to set any browser as your standard for opening links from other applications, changing Skype to be your default phone call app. Things like that.

I mean heck, can you imagine how much further along Siri would be right now had Apple included a developer API with iOS 5 or 6 to enable installed apps to intercept commands said to Siri? That would have instigated a new resurgence in the device similar to how the App Store did when it first showed up. And Siri would have become infinitely more useful. We could have installed a directory app to get POI's straight from Siri or Skype integration to call people and send messages from Siri instead of through the default Phone app and Messages. I mean really the possibilities are endless, what a missed opportunity.
__________________
Notebook: 17" C2D MBP, 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, SSD+HDD, Mavericks
Desktop: Three 30", Ci7 3930K, OS X Mavericks, 32GB RAM, 2xGTX780 SLI, 840 Pro SSD
iOS Devices: iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Air 16GB WiFi
Quu is online now   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Hawtin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
Same could be said for iOS in general to be honest. I think that is probably why Scott Forstall was let go. It's not just Maps and Siri it's that iOS has stagnated and its competitors are quickly reiterating on the finger touch interface that Apple popularized.

When you look back the last few years apart from the introduction of Siri every feature introduced to iOS so far has been a "Finally!" moment. Not a "wow I never thought of that!". Background Wallpapers, 3rd Party Applications, Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Notification Menu, Grouped email Inboxes, Game Centre.

When was the last time they introduced a feature that you didn't already want the phone to have months or years ago? We are still wanting customization, better multitasking, widgets. Basic stuff that competitor devices already have.

And when I say customization I'm not just talking some theme packs I'm talking completely different keyboards, ability to set any browser as your standard for opening links from other applications, changing Skype to be your default phone call app. Things like that.

I mean heck, can you imagine how much further along Siri would be right now had Apple included a developer API with iOS 5 or 6 to enable installed apps to intercept commands said to Siri? That would have instigated a new resurgence in the device similar to how the App Store did when it first showed up. And Siri would have become infinitely more useful. We could have installed a directory app to get POI's straight from Siri or Skype integration to call people and send messages from Siri instead of through the default Phone app and Messages. I mean really the possibilities are endless, what a missed opportunity.
Great post.
Hawtin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:51 AM   #13
Oohara
macrumors 68000
 
Oohara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
When was the last time they introduced a feature that you didn't already want the phone to have months or years ago? We are still wanting customization, better multitasking, widgets. Basic stuff that competitor devices already have.

And when I say customization I'm not just talking some theme packs I'm talking completely different keyboards, ability to set any browser as your standard for opening links from other applications, changing Skype to be your default phone call app. Things like that.

I mean heck, can you imagine how much further along Siri would be right now had Apple included a developer API with iOS 5 or 6 to enable installed apps to intercept commands said to Siri? That would have instigated a new resurgence in the device similar to how the App Store did when it first showed up. And Siri would have become infinitely more useful. We could have installed a directory app to get POI's straight from Siri or Skype integration to call people and send messages from Siri instead of through the default Phone app and Messages. I mean really the possibilities are endless, what a missed opportunity.
Sorry, but do you honestly believe that Apple will ever allow choosing 3d party apps as default apps for core functions? This is completely against their philosophy of the closed, secure system. Customization on that level will never happen in iOS, at least not for a very long time. Just like iPhones will never have micro SD-slots or removable batteries.

You're right that iOS has stagnated though, and I agree that it's likely that Forstall is much to blame for that and that this is why he got fired. And Apple will have to move towards more customization, more flexibility for the user, new functions, a more dynamic OS in general - but it won't come from allowing 3d party apps into default positions in the OS.
Oohara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
Same could be said for iOS in general to be honest. I think that is probably why Scott Forstall was let go. It's not just Maps and Siri it's that iOS has stagnated and its competitors are quickly reiterating on the finger touch interface that Apple popularized.

When you look back the last few years apart from the introduction of Siri every feature introduced to iOS so far has been a "Finally!" moment. Not a "wow I never thought of that!". Background Wallpapers, 3rd Party Applications, Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Notification Menu, Grouped email Inboxes, Game Centre.

When was the last time they introduced a feature that you didn't already want the phone to have months or years ago? We are still wanting customization, better multitasking, widgets. Basic stuff that competitor devices already have.

And when I say customization I'm not just talking some theme packs I'm talking completely different keyboards, ability to set any browser as your standard for opening links from other applications, changing Skype to be your default phone call app. Things like that.

I mean heck, can you imagine how much further along Siri would be right now had Apple included a developer API with iOS 5 or 6 to enable installed apps to intercept commands said to Siri? That would have instigated a new resurgence in the device similar to how the App Store did when it first showed up. And Siri would have become infinitely more useful. We could have installed a directory app to get POI's straight from Siri or Skype integration to call people and send messages from Siri instead of through the default Phone app and Messages. I mean really the possibilities are endless, what a missed opportunity.
I think the last major feature they implemented was iCloud, I would say it was quite revolutionary, something the competition didn't have. And this came in 2011, Steve Jobs' last keynote.

Hopefully Tim Cook leads Apple in the right direction, but I'm beginning to have doubts. Lets see what the new internal reshuffle last month can do to push Apple forward.
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:03 AM   #15
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Jesus Christ.

Siri is built in to the OS.

Google voice is a feature of a dedicated App.

FFS!!!!
I don't understand this logic? So it's Ok for a core OS feature (which had a massive amount of hype created by Apple) to be inferior to the first release of a standalone app?

All the processing for both these apps is done on the server side so I don't understand what you are talking about.... at all.
SlCKB0Y is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:04 AM   #16
Quu
macrumors 68000
 
Quu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
Sorry, but do you honestly believe that Apple will ever allow choosing 3d party apps as default apps for core functions? This is completely against their philosophy of the closed, secure system. Customization on that level will never happen in iOS, at least not for a very long time. Just like iPhones will never have micro SD-slots or removable batteries.
Seems you're not sure either?

Jobs once said no one wants to watch Video on an iPod. Then the Video iPod showed up. Apple once used Google for Maps on the iPhone. They once didn't allow 3rd party browsers now they do (but with limitations that I'm sure we are all aware of so I won't go in to them). They once said Multitasking is not where they are headed because of battery life. Then iOS 4 happened. Sure it's not the multitasking we expected but it does allow apps to stay open for 10 minutes after being closed and some frameworks to stay active longer than that.

Jobs once said the 7" tablet market was junk. Hello iPad Mini.

If there is one thing we know about Apple it is they change their mind on things all the time even when their old statements were so incredibly brutish in the way they came across. The 7" tablet comments from Jobs are a good example of something that people would say they would never ever do after he made those comments, he'd look like an idiot if they released a 7" tablet after he said that. And yet here we are today with a 7" tablet from Apple.

I think honestly with iOS 7 we will finally see a developer API for Siri and other customizations like the ability to set your own browser. I really do believe that is coming in iOS 7 because if it isn't what else is there? If iOS 7 is just a "We've improved maps!" update no one is going to be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeplance View Post
I think the last major feature they implemented was iCloud, I would say it was quite revolutionary, something the competition didn't have. And this came in 2011, Steve Jobs' last keynote.
I agree that iCloud was a good feature and I use it myself but I wouldn't really call it revolutionary. It's an evolution of exchange which brings an enterprise syncing feature to everyday consumers. For us business folks it had been something we'd wanted for a long time, Apple were the first to really deliver on it in every way but again not really something people hadn't wanted, perhaps something consumers who don't know about exchange didn't know they wanted though.
__________________
Notebook: 17" C2D MBP, 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, SSD+HDD, Mavericks
Desktop: Three 30", Ci7 3930K, OS X Mavericks, 32GB RAM, 2xGTX780 SLI, 840 Pro SSD
iOS Devices: iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Air 16GB WiFi
Quu is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:10 AM   #17
hyteckit
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
I thought Siri was okay - it's still beta right?
Well, until I realized what other companies can do if they get their acts together... Tried the Google app on iPhone and holy man, that thing runs circles around Siri... The speed of the voice recognition is impressive and it can tolerate mistakes and stutters! The speed at which it gives back answers is Wayy better than Siri too.
I just saw the video a minute ago. Seems Siri is better. Voice recognition test starts at 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...rpP_lXY#t=159s

Lots of Android fanboys posting angry replies insulting the guy's voice because Siri obviously won.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:14 AM   #18
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
I don't understand this logic? So it's Ok for a core OS feature (which had a massive amount of hype created by Apple) to be inferior to the first release of a standalone app?

All the processing for both these apps is done on the server side so I don't understand what you are talking about.... at all.
try the dictate feature when searching in safari. Its just as fast.
__________________
If youíre busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Oohara
macrumors 68000
 
Oohara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
Seems you're not sure either?

Jobs once said no one wants to watch Video on an iPod. Then the Video iPod showed up. Apple once used Google for Maps on the iPhone. They once didn't allow 3rd party browsers now they do (but with limitations that I'm sure we are all aware of so I won't go in to them). They once said Multitasking is not where they are headed because of battery life. Then iOS 4 happened. Sure it's not the multitasking we expected but it does allow apps to stay open for 10 minutes after being closed and some frameworks to stay active longer than that.

Jobs once said the 7" tablet market was junk. Hello iPad Mini.

If there is one thing we know about Apple it is they change their mind on things all the time even when their old statements were so incredibly brutish in the way they came across. The 7" tablet comments from Jobs are a good example of something that people would say they would never ever do after he made those comments, he'd look like an idiot if they released a 7" tablet after he said that. And yet here we are today with a 7" tablet from Apple.

I think honestly with iOS 7 we will finally see a developer API for Siri and other customizations like the ability to set your own browser. I really do believe that is coming in iOS 7 because if it isn't what else is there? If iOS 7 is just a "We've improved maps!" update no one is going to be happy.
Yes, I see what you're saying, but in none of those cases have Apple allowed a 3d party brand to sit at the same level of hierarchy as their own for any given core function. (Google Maps doesn't quite count IMO, as this was offered as Apple's own primary alternative, called simply "Maps", and carried no Google branding; it wasn't a secondary app offered as an alternative to Apple's own.)

I think it's a matter of (sound) branding psychology, Apple would rather offer inferior functionality as long as they don't have to admit that any other brand is as good as theirs, i.e. let any 3d party app take over as default if the user chooses it. Browsers are a good example - sure they've allowed them to exist as apps in iOS, but only after hampering their functionality, as you mentioned. And the Apple Maps debacle should if anything indicate that they're moving in the opposite direction from the one you're suggesting - why else would they put themselves in a position where they go so far as to even risk damaging customer loyalty due to implementing a half-baked map database, only to get rid of a 3d party brand?

I'm completely sure of this (only my non-professional opinion of course), to me it makes no sense at all that Apple would allow having their brand tarnished by allowing 3d party apps in default positions in iOS, as the very brand itself is so key to their success. - When I say "at least not for a very long time", I mean that the changes you're suggesting would only become viable to Apple if the whole paradigm of mobile os/devices would change, say if the open OS philosophy of Android eventually gained a firm hold on the whole market or if technological advances made it virtually impossible to keep deep-level user changes out of any OS (maybe in 10-15 years would be my guess)... But for the near future, I'd put money on Apple keeping their OS closed as it is today.

That said though, I still agree that iOS is falling behind and that Siri is an example of this. But I think Apple will be able to get back to true innovation once again, and think of improvements that will take customers' minds off of having 3d party apps assigned for default functions.

(This all in good discussion btw, I hope I'm not coming off as hostile or anything because that's not at all my intention Also I am not an iOS fanboy - the release of the iPhone 5 marks the first new iPhone release that's had me seriously investigating Android alternatives.)
Oohara is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:16 AM   #20
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
Yes, I see what you're saying, but in none of those cases have Apple allowed a 3d party brand to sit at the same level of hierarchy as their own for any given core function. (Google Maps doesn't quite count IMO, as this was offered as Apple's own primary alternative, called simply "Maps", and carried no Google branding; it wasn't a secondary app offered as an alternative to Apple's own.)

I think it's a matter of (sound) branding psychology, Apple would rather offer inferior functionality as long as they don't have to admit that any other brand is as good as theirs, i.e. let any 3d party app take over as default if the user chooses it. Browsers are a good example - sure they've allowed them to exist as apps in iOS, but only after hampering their functionality! And the Apple Maps debacle should if anything indicate that they're moving in the opposite direction from the one you're suggesting - why else would they put themselves in a position where they go so far as to even risk damaging customer loyalty due to implementing a half-baked map database, only to get rid of a 3d party brand?

I'm completely sure of this (only my non-professional opinion of course), to me it makes no sense at all that Apple would allow having their brand tarnished by allowing 3d party apps in default positions in iOS, as the very brand itself is so key to their success. - When I say "at least not for a very long time", I mean that the changes you're suggesting would only become viable to Apple if the whole paradigm of mobile os/devices would change, say if the open OS philosophy of Android eventually gained a firm hold on the whole market or if technological advances made it virtually impossible to keep deep-level user changes out of any OS (maybe in 10-15 years would be my guess)... But for the near future, I'd put money on Apple keeping their OS closed as it is today.

That said though, I still agree that iOS is falling behind and that Siri is an example of this. But I think Apple will be able to get back to true innovation once again, and think of improvements that will take customers' minds off of having 3d party apps assigned for default functions.

(This all in good discussion btw, I hope I'm not coming off as hostile or anything because that's not at all my intention Also I am not an iOS fanboy - the release of the iPhone 5 marks the first new iPhone release that's had me seriously investigating Android alternatives.)
Kudos to good essay writers like you substantiating their arguments with relevant points!
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:33 AM   #21
Quu
macrumors 68000
 
Quu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohara View Post
Yes, I see what you're saying, but in none of those cases have Apple allowed a 3d party brand to sit at the same level of hierarchy as their own for any given core function. (Google Maps doesn't quite count IMO, as this was offered as Apple's own primary alternative, called simply "Maps", and carried no Google branding; it wasn't a secondary app offered as an alternative to Apple's own.)

I think it's a matter of (sound) branding psychology, Apple would rather offer inferior functionality as long as they don't have to admit that any other brand is as good as theirs, i.e. let any 3d party app take over as default if the user chooses it. Browsers are a good example - sure they've allowed them to exist as apps in iOS, but only after hampering their functionality, as you mentioned. And the Apple Maps debacle should if anything indicate that they're moving in the opposite direction from the one you're suggesting - why else would they put themselves in a position where they go so far as to even risk damaging customer loyalty due to implementing a half-baked map database, only to get rid of a 3d party brand?

I'm completely sure of this (only my non-professional opinion of course), to me it makes no sense at all that Apple would allow having their brand tarnished by allowing 3d party apps in default positions in iOS, as the very brand itself is so key to their success. - When I say "at least not for a very long time", I mean that the changes you're suggesting would only become viable to Apple if the whole paradigm of mobile os/devices would change, say if the open OS philosophy of Android eventually gained a firm hold on the whole market or if technological advances made it virtually impossible to keep deep-level user changes out of any OS (maybe in 10-15 years would be my guess)... But for the near future, I'd put money on Apple keeping their OS closed as it is today.

That said though, I still agree that iOS is falling behind and that Siri is an example of this. But I think Apple will be able to get back to true innovation once again, and think of improvements that will take customers' minds off of having 3d party apps assigned for default functions.

(This all in good discussion btw, I hope I'm not coming off as hostile or anything because that's not at all my intention Also I am not an iOS fanboy - the release of the iPhone 5 marks the first new iPhone release that's had me seriously investigating Android alternatives.)
You make good points but iOS's leadership has been switched and the control of Siri put under their services SVP and out of the iOS development hands. This shows at-least to me that the new management over iOS understands the need to diversify iOS's development input to make it great again.

And I believe this will extend to enabling more integration by 3rd party applications. Now I agree with you that Apple cares more about its brand and maintaining its leadership role on its own platform but I also believe they know the power of letting others play in their sandbox. It wasn't so long ago that Apple told developers to make Web Apps for the iPhone before they came to their senses and delivered proper 3rd party apps alongside the introduction of the App Store.

I also want to point out that Siri itself is already allowing other companies to play a role instead of Apple. Wolfram Alpha & Yelp are two examples of where Apple has literally embedded 3rd party services in to Siri and put them prime and place with branding which is something you noted the Googles Maps on iOS 5 and lower lacked. Apple has POI data, but they still rely on Yelp in their maps and Siri. Hopefully a trend that will extend further with iOS 7.
__________________
Notebook: 17" C2D MBP, 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, SSD+HDD, Mavericks
Desktop: Three 30", Ci7 3930K, OS X Mavericks, 32GB RAM, 2xGTX780 SLI, 840 Pro SSD
iOS Devices: iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Air 16GB WiFi
Quu is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:53 AM   #22
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I just saw the video a minute ago. Seems Siri is better.
Try it for yourself, then decide.


https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-search/id284815942?mt=8
cyks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
I own both iPad's and Nexus 7, used both Siri and Google Search. I personally like GS better. It's not that Siri is awful because it's not but GS just seems to get it right.

Come on Apple, you think up an idea and the competition is now besting your idea. Bring back Steve !!!
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:27 AM   #24
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I just saw the video a minute ago. Seems Siri is better. Voice recognition test starts at 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...rpP_lXY#t=159s

Lots of Android fanboys posting angry replies insulting the guy's voice because Siri obviously won.
Siri is not better. Siri has an advantage over the Google because it has access to the iOS and it can do things like create text messages and reminders. This canít be done by Google because Apple locks down the OS and will not let 3rd party apps have that access.
Apple shouldnít allow just anyone to have this kind of access but they should allow big companied like Google. Or at the very least work with Google to be sure Google isnít doing anything malicious. Itís the same thing with Maps. If I click on an address in an email it used the crappy Apple maps. There should be a setting in iOS to allow me to specify the maps I want to use, just like you can select the search engine in Internet Explorer.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #25
Ericcc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
All this for a product that only took google a few months to make... What are you doing with your time apple??? Show me some legitimate good work that you've done this past year!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4wN View Post
It's just sad. Apple had a mile-long headstart, Siri was better than anything else at launch.
Not entirely accurate as Google's a search company. The already have a huge advantage on that front, and all they have to do is get voice recognition up to par. Also, voice input / text to speech has been available on their products since at least 2010...
Ericcc is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey geeks, how do Siri and Siri Proxy work? moonman239 iOS 7 1 Feb 15, 2014 05:57 PM
Siri still sucks itsjustmeee iOS 7 26 Oct 3, 2013 12:44 PM
Siri sucks dvoros iOS 7 10 Sep 26, 2013 05:30 PM
Siri Eyes Free vs. Siri Over Bluetooth SamGabbay iOS 7 1 Jul 26, 2013 10:56 AM
Siri Not Working Properly - Is it Siri or Straight Talk? madsci954 iOS 5 and earlier 0 Sep 18, 2012 10:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC