Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I thought Siri was okay - it's still beta right?
Well, until I realized what other companies can do if they get their acts together... Tried the Google app on iPhone and holy man, that thing runs circles around Siri... The speed of the voice recognition is impressive and it can tolerate mistakes and stutters! The speed at which it gives back answers is Wayy better than Siri too. And for a lot of facts, Siri just shows you a wolfram data sheet whereas google says it out loud!

All this for a product that only took google a few months to make... What are you doing with your time apple??? Show me some legitimate good work that you've done this past year!!

If only google has ios's ecosystem and jony ive's design...they'd be amazing

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I agree. The google search app is way ahead of Siri. The voice to text alone is so much faster it's instantaneous.

I love my iPhone 5 but I'm disappointed with the software it's just not progressing fast enough.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
No product in this world is perfect. We'll just have to bear with the negatives, in this case, Siri.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
It's just sad. Apple had a mile-long headstart, Siri was better than anything else at launch. They should have worked constantly on it, both on features and speed and it could have been amazing. Now... it's just alright.

slimbek

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Apple should have swallowed their pride and held back on their Google vendetta.

Removing the potential partnership of Google software from the equation was one of their biggest mistakes.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
I also agree about Google Voice Search.

When Siri fails, Google works every time.

Common apple, whats happening with you guys???

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Apple is dying slowly and painfully. That's how I see it, at least.

Why are you here ? And using Apple products ?

Look, none of us is naive enough to believe Apple is doing everything right, but in every thread I read I see some Apple bashing post from you.

While everyone has a right to "chime in" on a thread, if Apple is not meeting your requirements, shouldn't you just move on to something that does ?
Berating Apple in every thread won't contribute to you finding a better wireless solution.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's just sad. Apple had a mile-long headstart, Siri was better than anything else at launch. They should have worked constantly on it, both on features and speed and it could have been amazing. Now... it's just alright.

Same could be said for iOS in general to be honest. I think that is probably why Scott Forstall was let go. It's not just Maps and Siri it's that iOS has stagnated and its competitors are quickly reiterating on the finger touch interface that Apple popularized.

When you look back the last few years apart from the introduction of Siri every feature introduced to iOS so far has been a "Finally!" moment. Not a "wow I never thought of that!". Background Wallpapers, 3rd Party Applications, Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Notification Menu, Grouped email Inboxes, Game Centre.

When was the last time they introduced a feature that you didn't already want the phone to have months or years ago? We are still wanting customization, better multitasking, widgets. Basic stuff that competitor devices already have.

And when I say customization I'm not just talking some theme packs I'm talking completely different keyboards, ability to set any browser as your standard for opening links from other applications, changing Skype to be your default phone call app. Things like that.

I mean heck, can you imagine how much further along Siri would be right now had Apple included a developer API with iOS 5 or 6 to enable installed apps to intercept commands said to Siri? That would have instigated a new resurgence in the device similar to how the App Store did when it first showed up. And Siri would have become infinitely more useful. We could have installed a directory app to get POI's straight from Siri or Skype integration to call people and send messages from Siri instead of through the default Phone app and Messages. I mean really the possibilities are endless, what a missed opportunity.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
Same could be said for iOS in general to be honest. I think that is probably why Scott Forstall was let go. It's not just Maps and Siri it's that iOS has stagnated and its competitors are quickly reiterating on the finger touch interface that Apple popularized.

When you look back the last few years apart from the introduction of Siri every feature introduced to iOS so far has been a "Finally!" moment. Not a "wow I never thought of that!". Background Wallpapers, 3rd Party Applications, Multitasking, Copy & Paste, Notification Menu, Grouped email Inboxes, Game Centre.

When was the last time they introduced a feature that you didn't already want the phone to have months or years ago? We are still wanting customization, better multitasking, widgets. Basic stuff that competitor devices already have.

And when I say customization I'm not just talking some theme packs I'm talking completely different keyboards, ability to set any browser as your standard for opening links from other applications, changing Skype to be your default phone call app. Things like that.

I mean heck, can you imagine how much further along Siri would be right now had Apple included a developer API with iOS 5 or 6 to enable installed apps to intercept commands said to Siri? That would have instigated a new resurgence in the device similar to how the App Store did when it first showed up. And Siri would have become infinitely more useful. We could have installed a directory app to get POI's straight from Siri or Skype integration to call people and send messages from Siri instead of through the default Phone app and Messages. I mean really the possibilities are endless, what a missed opportunity.

Great post.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

Sorry, but do you honestly believe that Apple will ever allow choosing 3d party apps as default apps for core functions? This is completely against their philosophy of the closed, secure system. Customization on that level will never happen in iOS, at least not for a very long time. Just like iPhones will never have micro SD-slots or removable batteries.

You're right that iOS has stagnated though, and I agree that it's likely that Forstall is much to blame for that and that this is why he got fired. And Apple will have to move towards more customization, more flexibility for the user, new functions, a more dynamic OS in general - but it won't come from allowing 3d party apps into default positions in the OS.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

I think the last major feature they implemented was iCloud, I would say it was quite revolutionary, something the competition didn't have. And this came in 2011, Steve Jobs' last keynote.

Hopefully Tim Cook leads Apple in the right direction, but I'm beginning to have doubts. Lets see what the new internal reshuffle last month can do to push Apple forward.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Siri is built in to the OS.

Google voice is a feature of a dedicated App.

FFS!!!!

I don't understand this logic? So it's Ok for a core OS feature (which had a massive amount of hype created by Apple) to be inferior to the first release of a standalone app?

All the processing for both these apps is done on the server side so I don't understand what you are talking about.... at all.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Sorry, but do you honestly believe that Apple will ever allow choosing 3d party apps as default apps for core functions? This is completely against their philosophy of the closed, secure system. Customization on that level will never happen in iOS, at least not for a very long time. Just like iPhones will never have micro SD-slots or removable batteries.

Seems you're not sure either?

Jobs once said no one wants to watch Video on an iPod. Then the Video iPod showed up. Apple once used Google for Maps on the iPhone. They once didn't allow 3rd party browsers now they do (but with limitations that I'm sure we are all aware of so I won't go in to them). They once said Multitasking is not where they are headed because of battery life. Then iOS 4 happened. Sure it's not the multitasking we expected but it does allow apps to stay open for 10 minutes after being closed and some frameworks to stay active longer than that.

Jobs once said the 7" tablet market was junk. Hello iPad Mini.

If there is one thing we know about Apple it is they change their mind on things all the time even when their old statements were so incredibly brutish in the way they came across. The 7" tablet comments from Jobs are a good example of something that people would say they would never ever do after he made those comments, he'd look like an idiot if they released a 7" tablet after he said that. And yet here we are today with a 7" tablet from Apple.

I think honestly with iOS 7 we will finally see a developer API for Siri and other customizations like the ability to set your own browser. I really do believe that is coming in iOS 7 because if it isn't what else is there? If iOS 7 is just a "We've improved maps!" update no one is going to be happy.

I think the last major feature they implemented was iCloud, I would say it was quite revolutionary, something the competition didn't have. And this came in 2011, Steve Jobs' last keynote.

I agree that iCloud was a good feature and I use it myself but I wouldn't really call it revolutionary. It's an evolution of exchange which brings an enterprise syncing feature to everyday consumers. For us business folks it had been something we'd wanted for a long time, Apple were the first to really deliver on it in every way but again not really something people hadn't wanted, perhaps something consumers who don't know about exchange didn't know they wanted though.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I thought Siri was okay - it's still beta right?
Well, until I realized what other companies can do if they get their acts together... Tried the Google app on iPhone and holy man, that thing runs circles around Siri... The speed of the voice recognition is impressive and it can tolerate mistakes and stutters! The speed at which it gives back answers is Wayy better than Siri too.

I just saw the video a minute ago. Seems Siri is better. Voice recognition test starts at 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3WTfrpP_lXY#t=159s

Lots of Android fanboys posting angry replies insulting the guy's voice because Siri obviously won.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I don't understand this logic? So it's Ok for a core OS feature (which had a massive amount of hype created by Apple) to be inferior to the first release of a standalone app?

All the processing for both these apps is done on the server side so I don't understand what you are talking about.... at all.

try the dictate feature when searching in safari. Its just as fast.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Seems you're not sure either?

Jobs once said no one wants to watch Video on an iPod. Then the Video iPod showed up. Apple once used Google for Maps on the iPhone. They once didn't allow 3rd party browsers now they do (but with limitations that I'm sure we are all aware of so I won't go in to them). They once said Multitasking is not where they are headed because of battery life. Then iOS 4 happened. Sure it's not the multitasking we expected but it does allow apps to stay open for 10 minutes after being closed and some frameworks to stay active longer than that.

Jobs once said the 7" tablet market was junk. Hello iPad Mini.

If there is one thing we know about Apple it is they change their mind on things all the time even when their old statements were so incredibly brutish in the way they came across. The 7" tablet comments from Jobs are a good example of something that people would say they would never ever do after he made those comments, he'd look like an idiot if they released a 7" tablet after he said that. And yet here we are today with a 7" tablet from Apple.

I think honestly with iOS 7 we will finally see a developer API for Siri and other customizations like the ability to set your own browser. I really do believe that is coming in iOS 7 because if it isn't what else is there? If iOS 7 is just a "We've improved maps!" update no one is going to be happy.

Yes, I see what you're saying, but in none of those cases have Apple allowed a 3d party brand to sit at the same level of hierarchy as their own for any given core function. (Google Maps doesn't quite count IMO, as this was offered as Apple's own primary alternative, called simply "Maps", and carried no Google branding; it wasn't a secondary app offered as an alternative to Apple's own.)

I think it's a matter of (sound) branding psychology, Apple would rather offer inferior functionality as long as they don't have to admit that any other brand is as good as theirs, i.e. let any 3d party app take over as default if the user chooses it. Browsers are a good example - sure they've allowed them to exist as apps in iOS, but only after hampering their functionality, as you mentioned. And the Apple Maps debacle should if anything indicate that they're moving in the opposite direction from the one you're suggesting - why else would they put themselves in a position where they go so far as to even risk damaging customer loyalty due to implementing a half-baked map database, only to get rid of a 3d party brand?

I'm completely sure of this (only my non-professional opinion of course), to me it makes no sense at all that Apple would allow having their brand tarnished by allowing 3d party apps in default positions in iOS, as the very brand itself is so key to their success. - When I say "at least not for a very long time", I mean that the changes you're suggesting would only become viable to Apple if the whole paradigm of mobile os/devices would change, say if the open OS philosophy of Android eventually gained a firm hold on the whole market or if technological advances made it virtually impossible to keep deep-level user changes out of any OS (maybe in 10-15 years would be my guess)... But for the near future, I'd put money on Apple keeping their OS closed as it is today.

That said though, I still agree that iOS is falling behind and that Siri is an example of this. But I think Apple will be able to get back to true innovation once again, and think of improvements that will take customers' minds off of having 3d party apps assigned for default functions.

(This all in good discussion btw, I hope I'm not coming off as hostile or anything because that's not at all my intention :) Also I am not an iOS fanboy - the release of the iPhone 5 marks the first new iPhone release that's had me seriously investigating Android alternatives.)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yes, I see what you're saying, but in none of those cases have Apple allowed a 3d party brand to sit at the same level of hierarchy as their own for any given core function. (Google Maps doesn't quite count IMO, as this was offered as Apple's own primary alternative, called simply "Maps", and carried no Google branding; it wasn't a secondary app offered as an alternative to Apple's own.)

I think it's a matter of (sound) branding psychology, Apple would rather offer inferior functionality as long as they don't have to admit that any other brand is as good as theirs, i.e. let any 3d party app take over as default if the user chooses it. Browsers are a good example - sure they've allowed them to exist as apps in iOS, but only after hampering their functionality! And the Apple Maps debacle should if anything indicate that they're moving in the opposite direction from the one you're suggesting - why else would they put themselves in a position where they go so far as to even risk damaging customer loyalty due to implementing a half-baked map database, only to get rid of a 3d party brand?

I'm completely sure of this (only my non-professional opinion of course), to me it makes no sense at all that Apple would allow having their brand tarnished by allowing 3d party apps in default positions in iOS, as the very brand itself is so key to their success. - When I say "at least not for a very long time", I mean that the changes you're suggesting would only become viable to Apple if the whole paradigm of mobile os/devices would change, say if the open OS philosophy of Android eventually gained a firm hold on the whole market or if technological advances made it virtually impossible to keep deep-level user changes out of any OS (maybe in 10-15 years would be my guess)... But for the near future, I'd put money on Apple keeping their OS closed as it is today.

That said though, I still agree that iOS is falling behind and that Siri is an example of this. But I think Apple will be able to get back to true innovation once again, and think of improvements that will take customers' minds off of having 3d party apps assigned for default functions.

(This all in good discussion btw, I hope I'm not coming off as hostile or anything because that's not at all my intention :) Also I am not an iOS fanboy - the release of the iPhone 5 marks the first new iPhone release that's had me seriously investigating Android alternatives.)

Kudos to good essay writers like you substantiating their arguments with relevant points!

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007

I think it's a matter of (sound) branding psychology, Apple would rather offer inferior functionality as long as they don't have to admit that any other brand is as good as theirs, i.e. let any 3d party app take over as default if the user chooses it. Browsers are a good example - sure they've allowed them to exist as apps in iOS, but only after hampering their functionality, as you mentioned. And the Apple Maps debacle should if anything indicate that they're moving in the opposite direction from the one you're suggesting - why else would they put themselves in a position where they go so far as to even risk damaging customer loyalty due to implementing a half-baked map database, only to get rid of a 3d party brand?

You make good points but iOS's leadership has been switched and the control of Siri put under their services SVP and out of the iOS development hands. This shows at-least to me that the new management over iOS understands the need to diversify iOS's development input to make it great again.

And I believe this will extend to enabling more integration by 3rd party applications. Now I agree with you that Apple cares more about its brand and maintaining its leadership role on its own platform but I also believe they know the power of letting others play in their sandbox. It wasn't so long ago that Apple told developers to make Web Apps for the iPhone before they came to their senses and delivered proper 3rd party apps alongside the introduction of the App Store.

I also want to point out that Siri itself is already allowing other companies to play a role instead of Apple. Wolfram Alpha & Yelp are two examples of where Apple has literally embedded 3rd party services in to Siri and put them prime and place with branding which is something you noted the Googles Maps on iOS 5 and lower lacked. Apple has POI data, but they still rely on Yelp in their maps and Siri. Hopefully a trend that will extend further with iOS 7.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I own both iPad's and Nexus 7, used both Siri and Google Search. I personally like GS better. It's not that Siri is awful because it's not but GS just seems to get it right.

Come on Apple, you think up an idea and the competition is now besting your idea. Bring back Steve !!!

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I just saw the video a minute ago. Seems Siri is better. Voice recognition test starts at 2:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3WTfrpP_lXY#t=159s

Lots of Android fanboys posting angry replies insulting the guy's voice because Siri obviously won.

Siri is not better. Siri has an advantage over the Google because it has access to the iOS and it can do things like create text messages and reminders. This can’t be done by Google because Apple locks down the OS and will not let 3rd party apps have that access.
Apple shouldn’t allow just anyone to have this kind of access but they should allow big companied like Google. Or at the very least work with Google to be sure Google isn’t doing anything malicious. It’s the same thing with Maps. If I click on an address in an email it used the crappy Apple maps. There should be a setting in iOS to allow me to specify the maps I want to use, just like you can select the search engine in Internet Explorer.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
All this for a product that only took google a few months to make... What are you doing with your time apple??? Show me some legitimate good work that you've done this past year!!

It's just sad. Apple had a mile-long headstart, Siri was better than anything else at launch.

Not entirely accurate as Google's a search company. The already have a huge advantage on that front, and all they have to do is get voice recognition up to par. Also, voice input / text to speech has been available on their products since at least 2010...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.