Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Anyone else put in a pre-order? Went around the corner to the local game store and got on the list. Figured I would get one sooner or later so why not? Old wii box standing by to wrap up and trade in the wii.

AlyseM

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I don't care about the hardware really, I want to see some games!

Until I here some definite information on games, then I could not care less about the Wii U.

I don't even know about this anymore. My nostalgia is very off and suddenly collecting four heart pieces isn't as entertaining as it used to be. I'm sick of plumbers rescuing princesses and all that jazz. What I need to see is an amazing Super Smash brothers or fresh new games for me to buy back into nintendo. All I've been with them is disappointed.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
The Wii U looks interesting, but IMO the controller with the screen in it turns me off.

If it were a more traditional controller like the 360/PS3, I would probably buy it because it's nice to see Nintendo games finally in high definition.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
The Wii U looks interesting, but IMO the controller with the screen in it turns me off.

If it were a more traditional controller like the 360/PS3, I would probably buy it because it's nice to see Nintendo games finally in high definition.
My thoughts exactly. I've been put totally off by the wiggle controls for all games, which haven't been necessary in almost all games I've tried.

Having to wiggle a screen around makes it even worse. No thanks. ZeldaU and MarioU256 has to be really amazing for me to pick them up. Maybe when I can get a used WiiU for 100$.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England

Nintendo are offering a pro controler for the Wii U. It looks just like a 360 controler.
Personally would like the GC type controler back.
Plonked my pre order down yesterday :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I cancelled mine once Rayman was delayed. That was the main reason for wanting one, now I can wait. (Rayman Origins was the reason I got a PS3 and Vita too. Absolutely love these games)

Mario and such will be great, but they can wait.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
I cancelled mine once Rayman was delayed. That was the main reason for wanting one, now I can wait. (Rayman Origins was the reason I got a PS3 and Vita too. Absolutely love these games)

I can't say I care for Rayman too much, I am not too impressed by the launch line up either. But I'm still excited.
What games would you get if you were getting one then?

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I can't say I care for Rayman too much, I am not too impressed by the launch line up either. But I'm still excited.

For me, it would be New Super Mario Bros. U. If I get a Nintendo console, I would mainly look after the first party Nintendo blockbuster titles, as those are usually great.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Mario for sure, they're all quite similar but they're so good I don't care (yet). The formula slightly changes each time just enough to keep me interested. I love these in 4 player mode. A lot more manageable than LBP or Rayman, which I think are best with 2 players.

ZombiU looks interesting. And a load of those download titles look cool (can't remember which ones now), but there's a Nanostray one, and those games were ace on the DS.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I was going to do the same as Rayman was my game I was most looking forward to.

Now i'm undecided, my Pre-order is still there, but I'm not sure I'll be actually picking it up now.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Mario for sure, they're all quite similar but they're so good I don't care (yet). The formula slightly changes each time just enough to keep me interested. I love these in 4 player mode. A lot more manageable than LBP or Rayman, which I think are best with 2 players.

ZombiU looks interesting. And a load of those download titles look cool (can't remember which ones now), but there's a Nanostray one, and those games were ace on the DS.
Yeah, I have gone for Mario Bros U.

I was going to do the same as Rayman was my game I was most looking forward to.

Now i'm undecided, my Pre-order is still there, but I'm not sure I'll be actually picking it up now.
Hmm it is a tough one, but I never owned a Wii, so there is a ton of games I need to pick up.
Think I will start with the Mario Galaxies.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah, I have gone for Mario Bros U.

Hmm it is a tough one, but I never owned a Wii, so there is a ton of games I need to pick up.
Think I will start with the Mario Galaxies.

Well the benefit is we have 12 days after US release so we can at least see the reviews and comparisons of launch titles.

If Zombi U turns out to be as promising as it looks, and there are a few games that get good 80% scores ill still buy. Will be interesting to see how the likes of Assassins Creed 3 are in comparison to the current hardware. I'm also interested in Sonic Transformed but initial hands on seem to indicate a shoddy port, but from the latest trailer it looks good so will wait and see :)

The other thing putting me off is the €59.99 price for games here. Especially given I just ordered Assassins Creed 3, FarCry 3, Hitman Absolution for €65 total on PC format from WOW HD. Basically three games for the price of 1. It's hard at moment to justify paying €59.99 for AC3 on Wii U if the PC version is €22 and I'm pretty confident the PC version will still be much better graphically.

So those reviews have to be very convincing indeed....

Last edited:

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Well the benefit is we have 12 days after US release so we can at least see the reviews and comparisons of launch titles.

If Zombi U turns out to be as promising as it looks, and there are a few games that get good 80% scores ill still buy. Will be interesting to see how the likes of Assassins Creed 3 are in comparison to the current hardware. I'm also interested in Sonic Transformed but initial hands on seem to indicate a shoddy port, but from the latest trailer it looks good so will wait and see :)

The other thing putting me off is the €59.99 price for games here. Especially given I just ordered Assassins Creed 3, FarCry 3, Hitman Absolution for €65 total on PC format from WOW HD. Basically three games for the price of 1. It's hard at moment to justify paying €59.99 for AC3 on Wii U if the PC version is €22 and I'm pretty confident the PC version will still be much better graphically.

So those reviews have to be very convincing indeed....
That is very true, I will be waiting 'til christmas to open mine though as it is a gift.
However, I was planning on buying AC3 for the U, I even held off buying it on my PS3 for this reason, it isn't available on mac is it? The E3 vid of AC3 running on the U looked absolutely ace though.
What games have you pre ordered? Doesn't anywhere sell decent priced games over there, I have spent a lot of time in Ireland and used to buy games from CD World, I think it was called that, terrible store but used to be a few bargains knocking about. I am talking PS2 era here so maybe it has shut down now what with the nature of the store etc.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That is very true, I will be waiting 'til christmas to open mine though as it is a gift.
However, I was planning on buying AC3 for the U, I even held off buying it on my PS3 for this reason, it isn't available on mac is it? The E3 vid of AC3 running on the U looked absolutely ace though.
What games have you pre ordered? Doesn't anywhere sell decent priced games over there, I have spent a lot of time in Ireland and used to buy games from CD World, I think it was called that, terrible store but used to be a few bargains knocking about. I am talking PS2 era here so maybe it has shut down now what with the nature of the store etc.

Nah the Gamestop, XtraVision, HMV & Smyth's Toy stores all sell for give or take the same price. The only thing that varies is the 'trade in price' and Smyth's offer a 10% loyalty card scheme for new titles. So cheapest you get is around €55 but it's still a lot of money, especially in the struggling climate.

Take Zombi U for example

GameStop = €59.97
HMV Stores = €64.99
Smyths = €59.99 (- 10% loyalty card scheme = €54)

Online retailers

HMV.com = £54.99 UK which ends up costing €68.75 :eek:
Sendit.com = €52.85 + 3.75 postage = €56.60
Play.com = €72.49 :eek::eek::eek:

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
How can play.com charge so much? It used to be the cheapest place online a few years back. I ordered most of my PS2/GC/Xbox games from there, it was especially cheap when you could still pay with pounds instead of euros.

Nowadays I support my local independent video game store, one of the few not eaten by Gamestop yet...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
How can play.com charge so much? It used to be the cheapest place online a few years back. I ordered most of my PS2/GC/Xbox games from there, it was especially cheap when you could still pay with pounds instead of euros.

Nowadays I support my local independent video game store, one of the few not eaten by Gamestop yet...

Yeah play have got progressively more and more expensive, but this is beyond a joke. €12 more than the RRP is just madness.

Also they list it as £49.99 in sterling which even doing a exact conversion is €62. Still some €10 less than their euro listing price.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Wow those prices are insane.

Even the UK pricing is high, though not as bad. Amazon want:

ZombiU - £43.99
Super Mario Bros U - £44.99
NintendoLand - £39.99
Assassins Creed 3 - £49.99

This is basically £10 more than the 360/PS3, and £20 more than the PC. Ludicrous pricing, and it is only going to harm sales/attachment rates.

The nerd/gadget acquisition in me wants a WiiU, but logic is just saying no right now. I need reviews on the hardware and games, and possibly a price cut.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The nerd/gadget acquisition in me wants a WiiU, but logic is just saying no right now. I need reviews on the hardware and games, and possibly a price cut.

That's exactly how I'm feeling right now.

And that's a problem for Nintendo. We're early adopters who would normally succumb to all new gadgetry, but on this one were more hesitant...

If it can't convince 'early adopters' like us, that's not a good start right now.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I tried it out at my Gamestop and was thoroughly unimpressed. The controller just felt really cheap in my opinion. Also, Rayman Legends was a terrible demo because it made really bad use of the controller's screen. It never told you when you had to look at the controller's screen, so at no time did I know what I was supposed to be looking at. I just can't picture myself spending $300 on this thing, especially when the true next-gen consoles are probably going to be announced at the next E3 anyway.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
That's exactly how I'm feeling right now.

And that's a problem for Nintendo. We're early adopters who would normally succumb to all new gadgetry, but on this one were more hesitant...

If it can't convince 'early adopters' like us, that's not a good start right now.

Agreed! I'm the idiot that shelled out £425 for a PlayStation 3 on launch day, bought a PlayStation 2 whilst on holiday in the US before the UK launch, and generally a sucker for pre-orders.

The WiiU is just...meh. I'm worried the tablet controller screen is going to be terrible (it won't be as good as an iPad Mini) and we're going to see a repeat of what is essentially a gimmick to flog the hardware. Coupled with Nintendo just rehashing IP endlessly, I'm just pessimistic until solid reviews emerge (and not just from fanboys) and equally we see what Sony/Microsoft have up their sleeves.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Price is understandably a massive factor for most in the current climate, and I guess a price drop could be possible if sales are absolutely terrible.

Anyone remember the Wii launch? I used to have a weekend job at a high street reseller at the time and we literally had people waiting for our delivery truck and clamouring around to the loading bay when it came to ask if there were any Wii's in the lorry. It was crazy.

I think that is the last time we will see hysteria and shortages over a home console.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Definitely... I don't see parents going crazy over another Wii, most people will definitely think that it's some kind of add-on for Wii and when they see the price there's no way they're gonna buy it for their kids.

Wii had motion controls which were new at the time and anyone could play by waggling and pretending they had some kind of tool in their hand. Wii U has no such thing, there's no way in hell I can make my parents and relatives even try the Wii U's gamepad whereas we did play Wii Sports tennis and bowling in christmas 2006 :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The Wii U kiosks are up at Target.

Really neat machine. Love the fact you can have a map or additional info on the touchscreen controller.

But I agree - not at $300. The original Wii launched at $249 which is the sweetspot for a next-gen console under this economy (PS4 and the next-XBox will NEED to come in at $300, but over that and most of us will be waiting for the price to drop), and the new competition from smartphone/iPod Touch/Tablet gaming.

Maybe around December they'll throw in a free $50 game of your choice - I love AvP franchise (gonna pull out the Atari Jaguar this week... ;) ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.