Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Hello guys,

I have just received my brand new iPod touch 5 (Red, 32GB).
I instantly experienced extremely slow WiFi reception.

I tried it on a WEP WiFi, then on a different WPA2 network. Exact same result. Sometime it is blazing fast for a few seconds (10Mbps with Speedtest), then it becomes extremely slow (Speedtest cannot even find a server).

I tried to restart it then to restore it, same thing.

Do you think it is hardware? Any of you have the same issue with your new iPod touch 5th generation?

It is the same as some iPhone 5 users are experiencing.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452329/:(

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
The only issue I had with my touch 5 was that it refused to automatically join my home network. It remembered the network at my office and one at a relative's home, but not mine.

My solution was to chose "other" in the network settings, then add my network's name and password, then asked it to renew lease. For some crazy reason that worked and I've had no issues since.

Don't know if doing that would help you - but won't cost anything to try.

Also, have you tried changing the location of the server in Speedtest, just to rule out the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy playing any part in the slowdown?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
read somewhere that this is one of the issue with the Touch 5. I dont think it is the IOS 6 since Touch 4 still doing fine with wifi. If you look at the spec, Touch 5 supposed to have ultra fast wifi same as Iphone 5 so i dont know. Maybe apple will release something to improve that soon.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Hello guys,

I have just received my brand new iPod touch 5 (Red, 32GB).
I instantly experienced extremely slow WiFi reception.

I tried it on a WEP WiFi, then on a different WPA2 network. Exact same result. Sometime it is blazing fast for a few seconds (10Mbps with Speedtest), then it becomes extremely slow (Speedtest cannot even find a server).

I tried to restart it then to restore it, same thing.

Do you think it is hardware? Any of you have the same issue with your new iPod touch 5th generation?

It is the same as some iPhone 5 users are experiencing.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452329/:(

Don't worry about it, but you'll have to bear with it at the moment. Apple has already recognized the problem, and will be issuing a fix in the upcoming 6.0.1 software update.

Cheers!

pachi

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I had the same problem. My 1st gen saved the day since I had to take my 5th gen back. I was planning on buying it again when I can see that the issue has been resolved (and I can find a case to buy for it). How do you know it's known by apple and will be resolved with ios update?

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for your replies. It was extremely frustrating. And remember, it happened on two completely different networks with different encryption (WEP/WPA2) and different location.
I restarted it many times, restored it, same things.

But you know what? Something extremely strange happened!
I was so frustrated that I left it for an hour or so. When I took it back, the WiFi speed was blazing fast again! And it's been almost 20 hours or so and I haven't seen a single issue ever since!

I really do not understand what happened there. Maybe it needed some time to get along with his new master ;)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I had the same problem. My 1st gen saved the day since I had to take my 5th gen back. I was planning on buying it again when I can see that the issue has been resolved (and I can find a case to buy for it). How do you know it's known by apple and will be resolved with ios update?

iOS 6.0.1 is currently being tested by US carriers prior to its release. "Improved Wifi quality" is included in the changelog of this update.

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
6.0.1 released, your issue also identified. Please let us know if it is solved.
Yes it is! I cannot say that the new release of iOS fixed it, because it was working before. But the issue is definitely resolved for me! Yay ;)

pachi

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
I returned my first Ipod touch 5 because the wifi was so weak. When ios 6.0.1 came out I bought a new one and updated the ios and I still have issues. Apple tech help told me to take off the case and I'm still testing it out. Is this a new antenna-gate? Will Apple ever offer cases that don"t interfere with the antenna at their store (or any cases at all)?

What would you recommend as an alternative? $400 is too much for something that doesn't work as well as my first gen Ipod touch.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Thanks for your replies. It was extremely frustrating. And remember, it happened on two completely different networks with different encryption (WEP/WPA2) and different location.
I restarted it many times, restored it, same things.

But you know what? Something extremely strange happened!
I was so frustrated that I left it for an hour or so. When I took it back, the WiFi speed was blazing fast again! And it's been almost 20 hours or so and I haven't seen a single issue ever since!

I really do not understand what happened there. Maybe it needed some time to get along with his new master ;)

Could be that the touch was downloading apps or emails in the background?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I returned my first Ipod touch 5 because the wifi was so weak. When ios 6.0.1 came out I bought a new one and updated the ios and I still have issues. Apple tech help told me to take off the case and I'm still testing it out. Is this a new antenna-gate? Will Apple ever offer cases that don"t interfere with the antenna at their store (or any cases at all)?

What would you recommend as an alternative? $400 is too much for something that doesn't work as well as my first gen Ipod touch.

If you don't like it, I would return it. In my case, the wi-fi is much better than in my 3rd gen Touch so I don't believe that it's a general problem with the Touch. One thing to make note of is if you are connecting to the 5GHz band on your wireless router (your new Touch supports a dual band router). The 5GHz band has a shorter range then the 2.45GHz band.

Jonaswq

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
YES!!

When I'm outside and I want to connect to free WiFi, it takes forever to detect the WiFi in the area I'm at. And when it does, it takes forever to connect to it. Except when I'm at home.

Hadimachi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Omg I have the exact same problem
I bought a red 64gb iPod touch online.
When I got it the Internet was quite fast. BUT! Whenever I want to stream videos or load images online it takes forever. I can't even fully load a 1 minute video. It keeps stopping.
I dunno if I'm the only one with this problem.
It's been 3 months and its still slow.
I dunno how I can fix this problem.

Hadimachi

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
I've tried changing my DNS number to 208.67.222.222 but it doesn't work

Last edited:

CorJaime86

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Omg I have the exact same problem
I bought a red 64gb iPod touch online.
When I got it the Internet was quite fast. BUT! Whenever I want to stream videos or load images online it takes forever. I can't even fully load a 1 minute video. It keeps stopping.
I dunno if I'm the only one with this problem.
It's been 3 months and its still slow.
I dunno how I can fix this problem.

This happens to me all the time! I can't stand it! And I have tried everything, like restoring, getting a new one, and nothing seems to work! I have an iPod touch 5th generation red 32GB

okusai3000

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
This happens to me all the time! I can't stand it! And I have tried everything, like restoring, getting a new one, and nothing seems to work! I have an iPod touch 5th generation red 32GB

Yep, i have the same problem.

I live in Argentina and my router it's a Dlink -600.

In January i traveled to U.S. and the streaming of video was very fast.

So in my conclusion, the problem is in the router. Maybe the old ones aren't well acepted by the ios 6 or the iPod touch 5. :(

Anonymous CoW

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Earth
You are a genius!

The only issue I had with my touch 5 was that it refused to automatically join my home network. It remembered the network at my office and one at a relative's home, but not mine.

My solution was to chose "other" in the network settings, then add my network's name and password, then asked it to renew lease. For some crazy reason that worked and I've had no issues since.

Don't know if doing that would help you - but won't cost anything to try.

Also, have you tried changing the location of the server in Speedtest, just to rule out the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy playing any part in the slowdown?

THANK. YOU. SO. MUCH! :D :eek: :) :rolleyes: :p ;) :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.