Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:01 AM   #51
X5-599
macrumors member

Question: Is this just for MaxBooks (Pro) bought in June and later? If so, how can I see if my newly bought MacBook Pro is indeed one of those?

I ask because it came with Lion installed. If it were in fact a new Model shouldn't it have already been Mountain Lion?
X5-599 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:10 AM   #52
octover
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmi View Post
Me too. I've also got Mail forgetting passwords, and Calendar having similar issues (and not accepting CalDAV passwords). After I locked the screen (screensaver), the machine wouldn't respond. Also, on first reboot after install, it wouldn't allow any input from keyboard or trackpad. Another reboot fixed that.

Yesterday everything was working fine.
I had the same problems. After installing the update it seemed like my keychain was acting up, I couldn't re-install an app I had already purchased from the App Store and Mail.app had problems. I just repaired disk permissions and rebooted and now both of those problems have gone away.
octover is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:10 AM   #53
MacPod
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxtr View Post
The size of the updates actually matter for the MBA 64GB
That's less than 1/4 of 1% of the space on a 64GB MBA, and it replaces files, not just adds to them, so I really wouldn't worry about it.
MacPod is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:30 AM   #54
Kimcha
macrumors member

wow this update made a huge difference for me! Before whenever I had loads of windows on the desktop and I used mission control it would lag and stutter like crazy. Same for swiping between spaces and now its nice and smooth.

Not 100% super smooth, but a huuuuuge improvement! Lets hope it stays that way now.
Kimcha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:31 AM   #55
curmi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by octover View Post
I had the same problems. After installing the update it seemed like my keychain was acting up, I couldn't re-install an app I had already purchased from the App Store and Mail.app had problems. I just repaired disk permissions and rebooted and now both of those problems have gone away.
I did this also, and after a reboot it seemed to be ok. But an hour later it started to play up again, requesting passwords once more.
curmi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:36 AM   #56
robin0627
macrumors newbie

I got scroll lag on my 15 inch rMBP after updating it. What's going on? Apple, you are not fixing the graphical issues and worsening them
robin0627 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:43 AM   #57
sensorian
macrumors member

Doesnt appear to have made any discernible difference to me. I had a bit of screen tearing, nothing that made me want to cry or anything and I still have a little bit of screen tearing....I'd love to see a proper breakdown of exactly what changes this update incorporates.....
sensorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:49 AM   #58
Risco
macrumors 65816

I had to reset my SMC after the update.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:03 AM   #59
togg
macrumors newbie

the first EFI update bring a whole bunch of issues on rMBP, I hope that this will solve them.
togg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:33 AM   #60
5bjoshua
macrumors newbie

Big update on graphics drivers when looking at the extensions!

Nice!

Last edited by 5bjoshua; Nov 9, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
5bjoshua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:48 AM   #61
5bjoshua
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-a-x View Post
Could this be right?

Open GL drivers before update: NVIDIA-8.0.61
Open GL drivers after update: NVIDIA-8.6.22

I wrote down the driver version before the update but it doesn't seem like it's possible that there could be such a drastic change. However I looked back to an old thread where I was posting about this and it was indeed 8.0.61 before this update. Interesting.

Is Safari "snappier", or is that just me (I never though I'd use the Safari is Snappier line).
Yeah, i did the same. It updated the nVidia version from 1.3.4 to 8.6.22 also...i manually updated my nVidia driver to the 304 series one so not sure if that was updated in this update also from the 295 series nVIdia driver?

Not sure what is up with the numbering but it seems like it could be a good update.

OpenGL Certification seems the same however.
5bjoshua is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:52 AM   #62
bpran
macrumors newbie

backup

Backup before updating, and update at your own risk!
bpran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:06 AM   #63
darijoe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5-599 View Post
Question: Is this just for MaxBooks (Pro) bought in June and later? If so, how can I see if my newly bought MacBook Pro is indeed one of those?

I ask because it came with Lion installed. If it were in fact a new Model shouldn't it have already been Mountain Lion?
To find out, click on the Apple menu (top left of screen) and select "About This Mac". Click on the "More Info..." button and you should see another window appear. Under the big bold MacBook Pro text, you will see the date of the model and the June 2012 models should say "Mid 2012".

Also, Lion was initially loaded onto these Mid 2012 MacBooks in June because Mountain Lion was only released in late July.
darijoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:03 AM   #64
MiBook84
macrumors member

My MacBook Air went from 384 MB graphic memory to 512 MB. Quite annoying since I only have 4GB of ram on the machine. I don't think it is necessary to allocate 512 MB just for the GPU.

I can not see any other differences and did not have any issues with graphics before so I am actually quite upset to see this increase of VRAM.

The 13" rMBP took 768 MB of RAM as VRAM for the same HD 4000 internal gpu but it also has about twice the pixels. I can not understand Apple here. I often run out of RAM and this will only make it even easier.

Edit: I updated with a file attatched that shows the updated drivers on my machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmavbild 2012-11-09 kl. 14.00.22.png
Views:	241
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	376090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skärmavbild 2012-11-09 kl. 14.09.42.png
Views:	179
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	376091  

Last edited by MiBook84; Nov 9, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
MiBook84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:32 AM   #65
LazarusX
macrumors newbie

Has anybody tried to reenable TRIM for third-party SSDs after updating? I have tried these commands for several times but TRIM is still disabled as shown in system report.
LazarusX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:51 AM   #66
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiBook84 View Post
My MacBook Air went from 384 MB graphic memory to 512 MB. Quite annoying since I only have 4GB of ram on the machine. I don't think it is necessary to allocate 512 MB just for the GPU.

I can not see any other differences and did not have any issues with graphics before so I am actually quite upset to see this increase of VRAM.

The 13" rMBP took 768 MB of RAM as VRAM for the same HD 4000 internal gpu but it also has about twice the pixels. I can not understand Apple here. I often run out of RAM and this will only make it even easier.

Edit: I updated with a file attatched that shows the updated drivers on my machine.
I noticed it, too. First I thought it had always been 512 MB VRAM Maybe that was the only way to make animations smoother? Anyway, it shouldn't matter because the system now can take up to 512 MB of RAM, but it doesn't use it all the time.
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:53 AM   #67
netsped
macrumors member

After having changed hibernatemode to 0 since I bought my MBA in July, which means I didn't had a sleepimage eating 4 GB of space, now I can change the hibernatemode to whatever I want (0 or 3) but the sleepimage is reappearing after each reboot or after coming up from sleep.

Does anybody else has this problem? How do you fix it?
netsped is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #68
inlinevolvo
Banned

Things feel slightly smoother on my 15 retina. Not leaps and bounds, but def an improvement.
inlinevolvo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:20 AM   #69
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by srxtr View Post
The size of the updates actually matter for the MBA 64GB
You DO realize that most, if not all, of the update replaces old operating system files, rather than adds to them, right?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:04 AM   #70
chorner
macrumors member

Quote:

You're worried about that much of a difference in allocated RAM? Give me a break dude. If you're bumping up against that 4GB wall on your machine all the time, you've got the wrong machine and configuration for your usage case in the first place.

lol....
chorner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:10 AM   #71
Syndra
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Which games were causing that?
Guild Wars 2 is one of them.
Syndra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:18 AM   #72
dixido
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfway2anywhere View Post
hopefully this fixes the screen tearing in Safari that has made it virtually unusable on my 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display.
This update this not fix this issue on my MBA 13".

Anyone else with better luck?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:20 AM   #73
moxxey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorian View Post
Doesnt appear to have made any discernible difference to me. I had a bit of screen tearing...
Yes, this seems to be the big difference to me. The screen tearing seems to have disappeared. Was awful using Total Finder. Gone now.
moxxey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:34 AM   #74
HarryKNN21
macrumors regular

A new name for my MBP: Spec-bumped MBP

However mine is snappier than before, even if I switched the GPU to Intel HD4000 (I only have 384mb of VRAM on HD4000). Nice but the YouTube player issue has not been solved.

Also I see a big bump on battery life. (showing 8hrs and 20mins when I am editing this post on Safari, I have never seen this on my 15" MBP before.)

----------

Quote:

What do you use your MBA for? Gaming? If not this VRAM bump will not break your machine.

My old 13" MBP also had 512mb VRAM for HD3000 and I have never ever freezed due to that.

Phone: iPhone 5S 16GB
HarryKNN21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:38 AM   #75
nightsky971
macrumors newbie

I thought this was a graphics update? I'm having the same issue as mentioned earlier. Safari periodically asks me to re-enter keychain password. Mail has become unusable. It's not checking accounts, I can't open preferences (never ending beach ball), and I must must force quit every time. Any help would be appreciated.
nightsky971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion