Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
It has kernel issues as well that are unrelated to the thermal throttling. The nexus 10 is also affected by this.
You're saying this with absolutely zero proof. The Nexus 4's improved benchmarks put it slightly above or in line with the LG Optimus G. Are you saying the Optimus also has kernel issues that for some reason only you know about?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Isn't the issue also because the software isn't fully optimized for the quad-core processor?

If you listen to Anandtech's podcast, that's essentially what they were saying. That the benchmarks aren't using the quad-core processor to their full extent.

Of course, I'm no expert at all, but that's what it sounded like to me.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
They'd probably be talking about the fact that it throttles down and I believe they're speaking about the CPU in that case. Regardless, the Adreno 320 in the Nexus (in the freezer) is benching in line with the Optimus G. Even if the 320 is capable of more, we haven't seen ANYTHING to prove it so blackhand's claims are ridiculous at this point.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
They'd probably be talking about the fact that it throttles down and I believe they're speaking about the CPU in that case. Regardless, the Adreno 320 in the Nexus (in the freezer) is benching in line with the Optimus G. Even if the 320 is capable of more, we haven't seen ANYTHING to prove it so blackhand's claims are ridiculous at this point.

Fair points, but regardless of temperatures, once it's properly optimized for quad-cores, maybe it'll fare better? Maybe not?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Two things have accelerated my decision to upgrade to the Nexus 4.

1) I'm reading rumblings that we won't see a 32GB unlocked GSM version, that that'll be for the carrier specific versions (similar to how they did it with the Galaxy Nexus). If that's true, that'll be a shame for the rest of us, but oh well. Not to mention, if a 32GB is coming, it won't be for until months down the line. Not sure if I'm willing to wait that long. It would be nice to have breathing room, but realistically, 16GB does fine. Initially, I was going to hold out for either a 32GB version or a price drop. The "price drop" came the first day considering everyone expected it to land at $399-$449, and there may never be a 32GB version.

2) The reviews for the Nexus 4 are overwhelmingly positive. Many of them don't even acknowledge any pre-release issues. Those that do downplay it and/or are confident it will be fixed by Google (Anandtech themselves go on to sing nothing but praise for the device. As did Engadget's podcast). And now that I, myself, understand what's going on with these pre-release issues, I'm equally confident they'll be taken care of by Google. In fact, many say it's quite a simple fix. And Google has a great opportunity here to address them before release, before it's even in the hands of consumers. In some ways, these pre-release units were a smart move (in others, a dumb move, but I digress). Android Police is the one site that says they'll add an addendum after they receive the update, so look to them to see the results. Their review, by the way, is easily the most thorough and comprehensive. They talk about everything: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...premium-flagship-phone-that-android-deserves/ The Nexus 4 will be in every way an upgrade to my Galaxy Nexus. In some aspects, a huge upgrade. And Jelly Bean continues to distance itself from the competition (there's been nothing but love for it from reviewers).

I won't be an early adopter, but I won't be far behind. :)

FYI folks, I'm reading Tmobile is offering free micro SIMs if you call their customer service. I got one sent to me free of charge with free shipping. :D It's probably a case by case basis, so YMMV.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I just left an AT&T store. If there are any screen buffs here then I would encourage you to put the Note II up next to the HTC One X or the LG Optimus G.

IMHO the LCD screen looks much better than the SAMOLED. The LCD screens are actually white when you have a white background and they still have great color, brightness and sharpness.

Holding up the Note II to the Optimus G had the Note II looking yellow and dark even at full brightness compared to the Optimus G's bright, white, crisp screen.

That being said the screen on the Note II is beautiful and unless you really care about the stuff I mentioned above then you probably wont care.

This has narrowed down my choices with the Nexus in the lead and the Note II dropping out.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Why have no video reviews shown this thing running a speedtest? They do with every other phone. Is it because its so slow Google told them not to? First question many will have on this phone when finding out there in no LTE would be how fast is it. Google is also shooting themselves in the foot once again by limiting it to only 2 of the 4 carriers in the US. They just can't ever seem to get the Nexus right, shame.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Why have no video reviews shown this thing running a speedtest? They do with every other phone. Is it because its so slow Google told them not to? First question many will have on this phone when finding out there in no LTE would be how fast is it. Google is also shooting themselves in the foot once again by limiting it to only 2 of the 4 carriers in the US. They just can't ever seem to get the Nexus right, shame.

Except they work with 98% of carrier in Europe, Asia, Canada and rest of the world. Speedtest is not necessary as HSPA+ speed really depends on where you live.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Except they work with 98% of carrier in Europe, Asia, Canada and rest of the world. Speedtest is not necessary as HSPA+ speed really depends on where you live.

Again, they do speed tests for every other phone they review, why not the N4? Seems they are intentionally avoiding it.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I just left an AT&T store. If there are any screen buffs here then I would encourage you to put the Note II up next to the HTC One X or the LG Optimus G.

IMHO the LCD screen looks much better than the SAMOLED. The LCD screens are actually white when you have a white background and they still have great color, brightness and sharpness.

Yeah, the One X screen is gorgeous. If I could had gotten over no LTE/16GB, I'd probably still be trying to decide right now.

I hope google releases an updated version with 32gb down the line. Might pick one up and use as a second phone.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Probably because now that almost every phone has LTE, non-LTE phones seem slow, which is, to me and most phone users, utter BS.

I realize a few of you who tether and/or have true unlimited data plans really can and do use the additional speed. That said, HSPA+ speeds are more than adequate for most, as are the older 3G speeds, as are, in most cases, 2G speeds. As long as the N$ isn't slower than phones from 2005, it'll be more than fast enough for me - and most users.

I appreciate your point, and it would be nice to see the values, but unless it's utterly horrific and Google is just hoping millions of people foolishly order phones that Google is taking a bath on via subsidizing, I doubt the speeds are terrible at all - just not LTE-like.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
There may still be carrier specific versions of the Nexus 4 down the line with LTE. There may not be. Google is keeping mum about that. For their sake, I hope there is.

Regardless, this is an unlocked phone. 'Nuff said. It's just not worth engaging with people over the Nexus 4 anymore. Google is attempting a different model than Apple and other OEMs that are going through carriers. It's understandable if that model isn't for everyone. Edit: Don't forget the iPhone 4S is unlocked for $549, and it too doesn't offer LTE (not to mention the dated specs).

To me, stock Android with future proof specs unlocked at $349 is a winner. It's not like HSPA+ is a slouch. LTE wins speedtests, but in real world usage, when webpages load in seconds anyway, the differences between LTE and HSPA+ are... seconds.

Last edited:

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
I appreciate your point, and it would be nice to see the values, but unless it's utterly horrific and Google is just hoping millions of people foolishly order phones that Google is taking a bath on via subsidizing, I doubt the speeds are terrible at all - just not LTE-like.

I know that AT&Ts HSPA speeds out here is awful in southern California, T mobile's arent much better. Are stores going to carry it so you can at least go down and try it before shelling out $300 for it? I think there are many people who really dont know how bad their HSPA speeds are in their area because everything has been 4G and/or LTE for years now. Good luck.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I know that AT&Ts HSPA speeds out here is awful in southern California, T mobile's arent much better. Are stores going to carry it so you can at least go down and try it before shelling out $300 for it? I think there are many people who really dont know how bad their HSPA speeds are in their area because everything has been 4G and/or LTE for years now. Good luck.
Well, given that, showing speeds in a video is meaningless, because it has nothing to do with the speeds in any given area.

In my case, my iPhone 4S presumably gets more or less the same speed the N4 would, and I'm fine with that speed, so it's irrelevant.

In your case, yes, the speeds in the area would very much be important to know, but an online review wouldn't really tell you much.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
The guys over at android central seem to believe and keep hinting that a carrier version of the nexus is in the works for AT&T and sprint. They are hinting it may not have the nexus name though since it will still have carrier bloat ware and slower updates. Who knows when or even if those will come though. Personally I can't wait.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
The guys over at android central seem to believe and keep hinting that a carrier version of the nexus is in the works for AT&T and sprint. They are hinting it may not have the nexus name though since it will still have carrier bloat ware and slower updates. Who knows when or even if those will come though. Personally I can't wait.

That wouldn't surprise me. It would be a huge win for LG! It wouldn't cost them too much more since they already have the R&D in the Optimus G to lean on. It's just how much it will cost at the end of the day, that's the question. There's probably good demand for it and it is defiantly will make it stand out. I'm calling it: LG Optimus Nexus.

All that said, I'm still getting the HSPA+ version. I like LTE and all, but HSPA+ is good enough where ever I go in the Midwest.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
That said, I hope videos are posted showing absolutely horrific less-than-EDGE speeds (without revealing that the tests were done inside a submarine), because, as I've frequently said, the fewer people who want one, the faster I'll get mine and/or the longer I have to notice they're for sale on the 13th before they sell out.

Er, what I meant to say is that, clearly, no one can find any location in the entire country where speeds are even remotely decent enough to post a video showing them. Hence, the N4 must suck horribly, and no one should consider buying one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.