Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIRDinho

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Today as I was rebuilding my home after the devastation that Sandy caused, my i5 slipped out of my pocket and was left with 1 hairline crack going diagonally across the entire screen. I made an appointment at my local Genius Bar and went right away. I do not have AppleCare+. They told me that since it was a hairline crack it was covered under Apple Warranty. If it had been a spider crack then I would've had to pay for a new phone. I also asked about the new i5 I would be receiving and he said that it was brand new and NOT refurbished. So basically, I walked out of the Apple Store with a brand new replacement iPhone 5 free of charge.

Is this the usual protocol? I thought any sort of damage, especially without applecare, would incur a fee?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Their justification is they can replace it for hairline cracks but not spider cracks without getting in trouble with the higher ups, but it's not technically covered under the warranty.

You got lucky with a nice genius.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Their justification is they can replace it for hairline cracks but not spider cracks without getting in trouble with the higher ups, but it's not technically covered under the warranty.

You got lucky with a nice genius.

probably felt bad since the OP was affected by Sandy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.