Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garpen

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
We picked up a half-dozen 20" iMacs in 2006 at a university store clearance sale. Two of them are in my home, two went to extended family members and two went to friends. All are still running. No problems with any of them. Not even a failed hard drive. Remarkable.

I'd put Apple reliability up against any other computer maker any day of the week. Consumer Reports backs it up with numbers.

Ha ha, and where do you get your money from.
All 2006 models can you believe in it yourself. 10% of all hard drives fails before 3 years.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's not all about luck. Apple are known for buying the crap no-one else would take. They will take the cheapest parts possible. A computer should not be on overtime if it lasts past its AppleCare period. Machines of this cost should last for years without failing in the numbers they do.

Now that's funny. Clearly these Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc hard drives are just junk nobody else would take. These are simply issues that are part of owning a mechanical hard drive. They'll all fail eventually, and a good bit of them will fail within 3-5 years.

If Apple provides a very high quality Samsung SSD in a small thin form factor then they're peddling overpriced parts. If they provide an off-the-shelf mechanical hard drive that might fail (as they all can..) then they're sourcing junk parts that nobody else will take.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
They certainly don't make HDDs like they used to! I have a 20MB (you read that right, MB) HDD in my Tandy 1000 that I installed in 1990. It still works perfectly. Granted, I don't use it much any more, but you'd think these things would get more reliable, not less, doncha think?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I've never had a PC actually die on me. Yes I've replaced (very easily) a hard drive or 2 over the years, but nothing major. On the other hand I've had 4 Macs die on me since 2002. An eMac within 13 months (sold for parts), 2 iBooks within a year (fixed under warranty, and a 5 year old Macbook die (still own). My 2009 iMac runs uncomfortably hot so I don't use it for anything other than browsing the web and email. My 2007 Mac-Mini still works great, runs at reasonable temperatures, and my mid 2011 Mac Mini is somewhat confidence inspiring since it runs at reasonable temperatures as well. Would I buy another Mac? Yes I would, but never another iMac.....

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Disk drives which have been used extensively often fail after being turned off for an extended period of time. The old spindle lubricants bind the shaft and the tiny motor can't get it started. They actually last longer if left running.

I learn something every day. Thanks.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Now that's funny. Clearly these Samsung, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc hard drives are just junk nobody else would take. These are simply issues that are part of owning a mechanical hard drive. They'll all fail eventually, and a good bit of them will fail within 3-5 years.

If Apple provides a very high quality Samsung SSD in a small thin form factor then they're peddling overpriced parts. If they provide an off-the-shelf mechanical hard drive that might fail (as they all can..) then they're sourcing junk parts that nobody else will take.

They have had many issues with HDD's over the years, and some have been because they bought the cheap crap. They have had numerous issues with GPU's because they products that have known manufacturing faults and continue to replace those wit the same faulty parts.

Monicab

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
No more PC for me is what I said in 2007 when I purchased my Imac...and I went for a refurb the last 24' inches white Imac with matte monitor they ever made, a beautiful computer. I am writing from this computer, it never gave me any problems, I did a lot of graphic design using photoshop and illustrator on this machine, and used this pretty much all day long and night. Too bad now is outdated, and I need to get a new Mac.
The reason I changed to Mac is that I was tired of the Windows problems, crashes, viruses plagues, hickups and everything. I like the Mac OS specifically.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
It's not all about luck. Apple are known for buying the crap no-one else would take. They will take the cheapest parts possible. A computer should not be on overtime if it lasts past its AppleCare period. Machines of this cost should last for years without failing in the numbers they do.

KNOWN for buying crap that no one else wants. What are you talking about?? Can you back this up with some facts.... Preferably multiple, since you make such a bold statement. Apple is known for quality not crap, for all I learned and experienced over the years.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
I wouldn't expect any PC - Apple or otherwise to last 4 years without developing a fault.

If it did great but I wouldn't be surprised if something went.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Would I buy another Mac? Yes I would, but never another iMac.....

What's the alternative? I want a Mac but they're all pretty much glued together and unrepairable. At least with the Mini you don't have to write off the entire display when it goes belly-up, but there are a lot of compromises elsewhere. The Mac Pro seems to be abandoned now, but was extremely expensive even when it was a going concern.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
KNOWN for buying crap that no one else wants. What are you talking about?? Can you back this up with some facts.... Preferably multiple, since you make such a bold statement. Apple is known for quality not crap, for all I learned and experienced over the years.

Let's see. the HD2600 in the 2008 MacPro. Was known to have a defect. Yet Apple continued to sell it in the machines. Even when they failed they replaced with them with faulty cards. I know this because I have been through 4 of the things, all failed.

The GeForce 8600 and 8800 were known to have defect during the manufacturing process. Yet Apple still happily shipped them. There are many comments on here from people whose 8800 went up in a puff of smoke within months. In fact you were lucky if it lasted a full year. Mine lasted 13 months and died at exactly the same time as 2600 number 5.

Apple even had an internal memo about an unofficial replacement policy on the 2600. Unlike the recent HD one for the iMac's, MacPro owners were not contacted, they kept it as secret as possible.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3630?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/apple-loses-court-case-on-defective-nvidia-gpus-in-macbooks-20120419/

Do you want anymore?

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
The GeForce 8600 and 8800 were known to have defect during the manufacturing process. Yet Apple still happily shipped them. There are many comments on here from people whose 8800 went up in a puff of smoke within months. In fact you were lucky if it lasted a full year. Mine lasted 13 months and died at exactly the same time as 2600 number 5.

I had an 8600 fail after a bit less than 4 years. Like a week more and I would have been SOL, though, because they only give you 4 years for their faulty hardware to fail.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
They have had many issues with HDD's over the years, and some have been because they bought the cheap crap. They have had numerous issues with GPU's because they products that have known manufacturing faults and continue to replace those wit the same faulty parts.

Please cite your evvidence about hard drives dying on you because Apple bought "the cheap crap".

You don't like their choices of GPU's either and you cited both AMD and Nvidia parts. Who would you have had them buy GPU's from, Intel?

You keep trying to win the argument by changing it. When iMac design decisions were made, nobody would have suspected any of those GPU's to be problematic. With hard drives, all manufacturers have had problems from time to time, but unfortunately millions tend to ship before enough evidence is available to spot issues.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Please cite your evvidence about hard drives dying on you because Apple bought "the cheap crap".

You don't like their choices of GPU's either and you cited both AMD and Nvidia parts. Who would you have had them buy GPU's from, Intel?

You keep trying to win the argument by changing it. When iMac design decisions were made, nobody would have suspected any of those GPU's to be problematic. With hard drives, all manufacturers have had problems from time to time, but unfortunately millions tend to ship before enough evidence is available to spot issues.

I haven't changed my argument. You keep shifting the goalposts. I said Apple buy cheap parts, i did not specify HD's or GPU's. I was asked for evidence, I provided 3 examples.

I've been very fortunate, personally i've only had 1 original HD fail on me. Ever since then I have replaced them straight away with something better.

It doesn't take millions to be shipped. nVidia knew about the problem very early on as did AMD. No they didn't know at the time the design choices were made, but they continued to sell the crap parts even after the faults were found. THey even replaced faulty parts with more faulty parts.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do you not think that we get a distorted view of apples reliability on these forums? People come here when they have a problem or need to rant about a problem. Just like every other product in the world some will fail early on, some will go on forever.
We all know spinning HD will fail at some point. I think apple have addressed this with the Fusion drive (granted we need to see how this will last in the real world but initial benchmarks look promising). Eventually straight SSD will be affordable for everyone to own (at a reasonable size). I think what sets apple apart is the customer care you get. You can't take a dell computer back to them for repair when it's 3 years old.
Never had an iPod, iPhone or iPad fail and looking forward to my 2012 iMac as it will be my first. Looking forward to trouble (virus free) computing for 3 years with AppleCare and hopefully another 2 or 3 beyond that.
After that computers will probably be very different than what we have now so I would probably replace.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Man U guys. Apple doesn't even produce the hdd's themselves. It's made at the same factories as pc hdd's. and it's all about luck or un-luck; it can last for the entire time you have the machine or die in 6 months.

Things like cooling design and power management can affect the life of the HDD, especially given the somewhat variable range in quality variation, as these are commodity parts. What annoys me specifically is that one of the most failure prone parts is both not officially user serviceable and expensive to replace at Apple's repair rates. Swapping a drive should not be a big deal given their failure prone nature. They made it unnecessarily difficult, which is why you have people equating a dead drive with a dead machine. If it happened to me personally, I've taken apart plenty of machines. I'd do it myself out of warranty

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
In 25 years of computing I've never had a hard drive failure. 6 yr old iPod still going strong. Multiple iPods, iPhones, iPads, MacBooks and one iMac in the family, all running just fine. I know some people have had bad experiences with hardware, but we're happy customers. Just lucky, or in the majority?

whitel4

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
UK
why do people feel they have to announce their departure.....and then never leave? Just go. The longer you stay the more of an ass you look. Just go.

I agree, but at the same time let them get it of their chests. The guy who wrote this thread read the advice from others and is now aware of cheaper options.

And better for him to get it off his chest than bottle it all up inside until breaking point :D

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
That's a pretty high failure rate. I've had problems with my own machines too. What I really hate is hard drives that are not easily accessible or classified as user serviceable. That single point annoys me more than most things.

There is very little in the entire iOS system that is user repairable. The system so locked down it has driven droves to Android and soon Windows 8;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.