Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Now that I have my new iPhone 5, I gave my wife my old iPhone 4S, which now leaves us with her old iPhone 4 as free (which is in excellent condition as my wife babied it). My daughter currently has a 4th gen iPod touch, and I was considering upgrading her iPod touch this Christmas to the new iPod touch, but when I started thinking about it, I'm thinking I could just give her the old iPhone 4, as it has 90% of the features as the new iPod. (ie - Retina, 5mp camera, HD video). The only differences I really see are the dual core A5 [ipod] vs A4 [iphone 4] and the 4 inch screen [ipod] vs 3.5 inch screen [iphone 4]. If I upgrade to ios6, I'll get most of the new features, but not all (diff between iP4 vs iP5 vs new iPod). But if I do this, I can save ourselves $299, and get her something else nice for Christmas.

Can anyone see any problems or issues with this plan that I'm not thinking of?

The phone has a deactived AT&T chip in it now, so all the other features work on it, but it has no cellular connection. The only thing I'm worried about is there anyway to disable the automatic 911 feature on the device? I know all phones have to be able to dial 911 if a person does so on a cell phone, even if there is no active cellular service. My daughter is very responsible, and I know I can trust her not to do that, but I'm more worried about friends doing something stupid like that.

Any thoughts/comments?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I am thinking about doing the same thing. My daughter has a 4th gen iPod touch. Want to give her my verizon iPH 4 ( im getting the 5) all she really wants is a better camera then what her touch has.

We would then sell her ipod touch ( wonder how much we could get for it) and use that $ to get a new iPod for our son ( he wants it for games).

Anyone with experence using a verizon iPhone as an iPod.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I don't think what you are proposing is a bad idea and if your daughter is responsible it might be nice having the 911 feature just in case.

I don't think you can deactivate the 911 feature.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
So what did you decide?

I decided to just go ahead with my plan, and had a long talk with her about the ability to dial 911, and how she would have to make sure she doesn't do it, unless she's truly in an emergency situation. She's responsible enough that I can trust her not too.

So far, it's worked out very well. She likes the better camera so much more and the sharper Retina screen, and the better processing power. Plus, she loves to tell her friends that she (technically) "has an iPhone 4". Doesn't matter that it has a deactivated sim card and she can't make calls....

Overall, I think it was worth it, as it saved us from having to spend $299 on a new iPod Touch 5th Gen and she's happy with it too.

----------

I don't think what you are proposing is a bad idea and if your daughter is responsible it might be nice having the 911 feature just in case.

I don't think you can deactivate the 911 feature.

Yeah, when I started thinking about it, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have that ability. God forbid something ever happened where she'd need it, I be glad she have it as a safety net.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Answering based on your topic title, and not your post as tl;dr I am tired.

I don't really see the point in having 2 phones in your pocket and one as an iPod because your iphone - your current iPhone - IS an iPod. Yes it takes up space, but not as much space as 2 phones take in your pocket.

Thats just my 2 cents, sell the other phone, pocket the cash and have a good time.

rvancil

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
If I were you and that iPhone 4 is out of contract, I would do the unlock procedure on it through AT&T. That way if you ever need to travel outside the country, or if you want to use it on one of the other networks in the USA you'll be able to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.