Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2010madone

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Being a former android user, it doesn't look like you did too much during that usage. You should have showed how much time besides the percentage of the display. To show how long the display was actually on for. That's just my opinion, not trying to get anything started, just stating a little more screenshots could have been showed. Here's some screenshots of what I was talking about, from when I was on the galaxy s3.

dont know how moto or droid calculates it. . .but i am a reasonably heavy user. had location services on all day, multiple apps on. left my house at 7 am and the phone was cranking at 11 pm. my iphone 4s on the same daily schedule / same usage wouldn't make it past 130pm. i actually played youtube videos the last 15 minutes on 1% to kill it as i am trying to fully discharge the battery since its early days. . .battery is quite possibly double what i have observed on the iphone 4s or 5

2010madone

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
dont know how moto or droid calculates it. . .but i am a reasonably heavy user. had location services on all day, multiple apps on. left my house at 7 am and the phone was cranking at 11 pm. my iphone 4s on the same daily schedule / same usage wouldn't make it past 130pm. i actually played youtube videos the last 15 minutes on 1% to kill it as i am trying to fully discharge the battery since its early days. . .battery is quite possibly double what i have observed on the iphone 4s or 5

just to clarify furthere. . i run Inrix traffic app on both devices. monster battery hog and near constant use of GPS. . .

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I have found my iPhone 5 battery life to be MUCH worse than my previous iPhone 4's. I have my brightness low and turned off mostly everything including:

LTE
Bluetooth
Location Services
iCloud
Most notifications
Siri
Mail
+ And much more

My usage on 1% is around 6 hours. Under that usage my time was spent solely browsing the Web under 3G with wifi and LTE turned off.

On another day on 3G I had 67% with 2 hours 18 min usage with 10 hours 23 min standby.

I noticed that being soley on wifi I still experience dramatic battery loss. I dropped 10% in 1 hour usage.

I did two full cycle charges (drained battery to shut off then to 100%) and no change. I did notice that my battery lasted on 1% for a good hour before shutting down. Strange, huh?

So any tips on getting better battery life based on my stats or do you think it is a hardware problem and I should try and replace my iPhone 5?

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
I have found my iPhone 5 battery life to be MUCH worse than my previous iPhone 4's. I have my brightness low and turned off mostly everything including:

LTE
Bluetooth
Location Services
iCloud
Most notifications
Siri
Mail
+ And much more

My usage on 1% is around 6 hours. Under that usage my time was spent solely browsing the Web under 3G with wifi and LTE turned off.

On another day on 3G I had 67% with 2 hours 18 min usage with 10 hours 23 min standby.

I noticed that being soley on wifi I still experience dramatic battery loss. I dropped 10% in 1 hour usage.

I did two full cycle charges (drained battery to shut off then to 100%) and no change. I did notice that my battery lasted on 1% for a good hour before shutting down. Strange, huh?

So any tips on getting better battery life based on my stats or do you think it is a hardware problem and I should try and replace my iPhone 5?
That's ridiculous how your battery is draining. I would suggest doing the procedure described a couple post above yours and turning off imessage if you haven't. I have half of the stuff you got turned off and I'm experiencing much better results with the aid of the solution a couple post above yours and turning of imessage. Here's what I have going since doing the procedure. In also using my phone as we speak to post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 60

Cosmos01

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
That's ridiculous how your battery is draining. I would suggest doing the procedure described a couple post above yours and turning off imessage if you haven't. I have half of the stuff you got turned off and I'm experiencing much better results with the aid of the solution a couple post above yours and turning of imessage. Here's what I have going since doing the procedure. In also using my phone as we speak to post.

I just turned off iMessage then restarted my iPhone. Before I shut my phone off, my battery was at 95%. After it restarted, my battery is now 98%. Then it dropped to 97% a few minutes later. I don't think this is normal, is it?

Also, I am on iOS 6. I am debating updating to 6.0.1 contingent on whether or not it it will improve my battery life. Has everyone noticed better or worse battery life on 6.0.1?

lawhochun

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
Hong Kong

Its ridiculous that we need to turn off the staple features in order to save battery life. Otherwise whats the point of getting an iPhone, just get a crappy phone that has the ability to make calls then.

RoboGeek

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Its ridiculous that we need to turn off the staple features in order to save battery life. Otherwise whats the point of getting an iPhone, just get a crappy phone that has the ability to make calls then.

Totally agree on that! What's the point, right?

Godf1st

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2012
Totally agree on that! What's the point, right?
You got a point, the only features I turn off is GPS until needed and Imessaging, I have unlimited texting. But turning off almost the entire phone is worthless. You shouldn't have to.
I still have LTE, push email, etc. turned on, since doing the dfu restore and restoring my backup it looks like I'll be getting the battery specs apple advertised, well at least close. I've read that doing a dfu is good after doing an ios update. I have no errors happening in the diagnostic department or anything. Previous to my update before the dfu I had crashes, and poor battery life.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
The main difference I noticed with battery life between my iPhone 5 and my previous iPhone 4 is what happens when it hits 1% . My iPhone 4 would instantly shut off the second it hit 1%, but my iPhone 5 is a much deferent story. The last 1% seems to back a percentage of reserve battery. I listened to music and made 2 three minute calls , with location services and cellular services (LTE) on for 15 minutes on my drive home from work. I made it home and had time to plug it in without it dying out. The last 1% of battery life continues to impress me.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I'm sure everyone having battery issues are not from the east coast, but for what it's worth. I had great battery life +10 hours on every charge the first few weeks I got the IP5. Ever since the storm we had (I'm in NYC) my battery won't last more than 4 hours. I haven't changed one thing on the phone and use it the same way before the storm came. I recently made a genius apt and they did the whole battery test. Everything was fine. The genius said that ever since the storm more and more people are complaining about the battery and it could be caused by some of the towers not being up or not sending as strong as a signal it use to. I don't know if it's tru or not, but over the last 3 days I'm not up to about 6 to 7 hours of usage. Way more than the 3 to 4 hours I was getting last week. I've received emails from ATT saying they are still working on towers so I'm hoping that it goes back to the +10 hours. Will keep everyone updated.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I'm sure everyone having battery issues are not from the east coast, but for what it's worth. I had great battery life +10 hours on every charge the first few weeks I got the IP5. Ever since the storm we had (I'm in NYC) my battery won't last more than 4 hours. I haven't changed one thing on the phone and use it the same way before the storm came. I recently made a genius apt and they did the whole battery test. Everything was fine. The genius said that ever since the storm more and more people are complaining about the battery and it could be caused by some of the towers not being up or not sending as strong as a signal it use to. I don't know if it's tru or not, but over the last 3 days I'm not up to about 6 to 7 hours of usage. Way more than the 3 to 4 hours I was getting last week. I've received emails from ATT saying they are still working on towers so I'm hoping that it goes back to the +10 hours. Will keep everyone updated.

In my office in midtown NYC, I have always had full 5 bars before and after the storm. Its hard to see the difference as every day I use my phone differently. If I see 6 hrs usage LTE only I am happy.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
In my office in midtown NYC, I have always had full 5 bars before and after the storm. Its hard to see the difference as every day I use my phone differently. If I see 6 hrs usage LTE only I am happy.

I work in midtown, but live in Westchester and had more issues in Westchester than NYC regarding service.

spyd4r

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
LTE off, 3G only.. wifi off and bluetooth off..

can't get over 4.5 hours usage... no matter what.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Texas
I've really started to notice my battery life being lame. Also the inconsistent wifi drops and weird cellular drops I've been thinking of exchanging for an S3 or something... Since its only a matter of luck if AT&T gives me a swap for a properly working one.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
I've really started to notice my battery life being lame. Also the inconsistent wifi drops and weird cellular drops I've been thinking of exchanging for an S3 or something... Since its only a matter of luck if AT&T gives me a swap for a properly working one.

S3 has the same if not worse battery life. Tried one out.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I've only been using mine for less than 48 hours but I have experienced much better battery life than I ever had on my 4! Typically, I leave my phone plugged in overnight so I start the day with a full charge. I would take the 4 off the charger around 8am and use it through the day, at 4pm I would be down to around 20% and would charge it back up to 100% before leaving the office. After 5:30 I did tend to use it more because I wasn't working and by 10 or 11 it would sometimes be back down to 20% or lower. If I listened to Spotify for any length of time it would completely die on me.

Now with the 5, I picked it up from FedEx on Wednesday and plugged it in to charge up to 100%, not sure where it was when I took it out of the box so I wanted it to be fully charged. Went to Verizon and they activated it and I started syncing with iCoud. I was also just playing around with it, messing with Siri, navigation and Maps, playing with the panorama feature in the camera, and Facebooking and Tweeting. At 5:00 I was charged 100%, after all that playing around and syncing at around 10 I was only down to 75%. It wasn't off the charger though because I ended up doing a restore to start fresh and adding apps directly from my computer so I didn't have all the superfluous junk from an old iCloud sync from my old phone. Yesterday with typical usage, I was at 100% at 8am when I left the house and never plugged the phone in all day long. At 5:30 when I left the office I was only down to about 65%. Went to dinner, ran some errands at the mall, and was at about 20% by 10:00. I thought that was pretty good, very impressed! I was worried based on posts here about battery life but so far my experience with this device has been a good one.

berniemakaveli

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
On LTE I got about 5 hours the past few days. Yesterday I decided to stay on wifi all day and got about 8hrs and 30 minutes. Not the 10 Apple advirtises but better than 5 :/

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
Yeah, I don't know whether it's the fact that I use my phone too much or if this battery really does drain too fast. I remember with my iPhone 4, I could go 2 days without charging it and not have to worry. Now, I'm lucky to last until 10pm. It is now 4:30pm and my battery is at 14%.

I noticed that when I tried to recalibrate it the other night, it stayed on at 1% for a good forty minutes before shutting off. And recalibrating it didn't help in my case. Boo.

oicyu8chu

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2011
m4uie.png

The battery is pretty great so far, considering I get a constant 2-3 bar signal from AT&T and using location services. I've turned off cellular since I'm at home.

eeguh

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Mostly calling, text messages, and some browsing. I usually turn off LTE or wifi when not using internet.

Attachments

• photo (1).PNG
    photo (1).PNG
    132.9 KB · Views: 70

Jav0n

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I typically get between 6 - 7 hours. Use Bluetooth quite often, but turn it off when it's not in use of course. Few phone calls during the day, a bunch at night. LTE OFF, location services off unless I need it, wifi on when I'm home. Brightness at about 35 - 40 % w/ auto on, manually check email.

This particular instance I pulled off 10 hrs. Only thing I changed was the fact that I didn't use Bluetooth at all the whole day and instead of being in my bedroom of my apartment for most the day, I spent all day in my living room where I get a stronger signal. Signal in my bedroom can suck at times.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 52

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012

I think that's fine. That's kind of similar to my "normal" use. I very rarely get over 7 hours on my phone. Average is around 5-6 hours. But I am always using it...even when the signal is spotty (like in the subway). So the phone is always switching from LTE to 4G to E or nothing and back, for example. Which doesn't bother me because I use my phone to use it and I'm not focused on getting as much battery life from it as possible :D

cfcboy

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I thought my battery was cack then realised Star Wars angry birds was absolutely slaughtering my battery (doh)

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Really Disappointed.

I picked up my 32GB AT&T iPhone 5 last Wednesday and thus far I am really bummed with the battery life. My iPhone 4 (which this is replacing) is two years old and it did much better for me.

I have bluetooth off, wifi off when not in use, location support disabled for all but a couple apps and brightness set as low as possible and I can barely make it through a day of nominal usage (some emails, some messaging, a couple phone calls and some light browsing) without needing to recharge. My iPhone 4 could handle the same tasks and only require recharging once every 1.5 to 2 days.

I am not going to disable LTE or iMessaging as that makes this phone pointless to me.

What gives??? :confused::mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.