Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I always suggest go with whoever you don't have for cellphone service. That way you will always have at least one device that's connected.

I use Verizon because their phone coverage is undeniably good. I have AT&T for my ipad because I have unlimited data :eek::D

twotwo11

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Ok cool i think verizon is the better buy!! it allows you to tether, do you guys think that they will allow it to to be unlocked like the iphone 5 so for those who travel over seas alot

It'll be unlocked. Another plus is that you can use AT&T's 3G on the Verizon iPad.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Care to expound on what this means?
I think, when traveling internationally, the LTE devices that support Verizon's frequencies have a better change of supporting LTE in a foreign country than do LTE devices that support AT&T's frequencies.

But even then, LTE support internationally seems to be a crapshoot, based on the umpteen different bands that carriers across the world are using.

Other than LTE, I don't think there's any major difference between the AT&T and Verizon iPads when traveling internationally. They're both unlocked, and the both support the same 3G/HSPA/HSPA+ bands. Technically the Verizon iPad also supports CDMA, but I've never heard of folks using any "pre-paid CDMA" service when traveling.

----------

i can use that as a plan b, but what about when we travel abroad can we put sims in from another country
Yes. In the US, all iPads are sold unlocked, so you can swap out SIMs anytime.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
With any cellular iPad you can turn the plan off and on at will from within settings.

so verizon is not pay as you go like ATT

From what I have read, if you signed up for Verizon and then cancelled it after the month was out you would burn your sim card and need a new one. There was also some discussion that there was a activation fee for using Verizon. I've used AT&T all along for my iPad 1 so I figured I would just stay with them.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I recently turned off the auto-renew on my iPads Verizon data plan (so that I could add it to my Share plan), it told me that if I didn't renew that monthly account in the next five months, it would require a new SIM card to do so.

Izzybeff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
When I recently turned off the auto-renew on my iPads Verizon data plan (so that I could add it to my Share plan), it told me that if I didn't renew that monthly account in the next five months, it would require a new SIM card to do so.

This! And I can't guarantee that I'll use it every six months. I will only be using it when we travel for an extended period of time.

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
I have an ATT 3g iPad (original) and have had the service plan turned off for a while, can I still get unlimited data on a LTE mini or is it gone because I have turned it off in the settings about a year ago?

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2011
Remember, with AT&T you get 3gigs for the same price as 2gigs on verizon. The trade off is no tethering and until 8-10 weeks, no FaceTime on AT&T.

8-10 weeks to move the mouse across the screen and change the settings. 100 internets to anyone if the know the reference.

powerbooks

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Google again and see all the complaints about Verizon plan.

Basically: if you stop their plan, your SIM card will be wasted, and need a new one whenever you want to add the plan back. Depending on our luck, you may either pay the card or re-activation fee, or nothing. But it is very inconvenient comparing to AT&T true free on/off plan.

Thinking of using other SIM card other than Verizon? Sure you can use AT&T card, but then you broke the Verizon plan, and waste the Verizon Card.

Even worse, using international SIM card is almost impossible if not truly impossible. Once you come back to US, you have to re-active your Verizon account with, guess what, another new SIM card.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
can we use the LTE abroad
If your LTE device supports the bands used for LTE by a carrier in the country that you're visiting, then yes. It's hit or miss for LTE. You shouldn't have a problem with 3G or HSPA/HSPA+

----------

Basically: if you stop their plan, your SIM card will be wasted, and need a new one whenever you want to add the plan back.
Five months.

If you stop their plan, you have five months to add their plan back with that SIM.

If you wait more than five months, only then do you need a new SIM.

So as long as you're traveling internationally for less than five months, there is no extra burden for using Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.