Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
Hey guys,

My company gave me a user name and password to access a webpage that contains flash video presentations for training.

I want to download the flash file so I can watch the presentation when I'm on the train and have no internet connection.

I'm able to download the the flash file (.swf) but when I try to load the file in Safari or any other web browser, it comes up blank.

Any idea? Thanks :)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Any idea? Thanks :)

You can't - the SWF is just a stub. Likely the presentation is stored in a format that can't be saved offline since it's kept on a remote server. If it has any sort of interactivity in it, it won't be something you can download and view offline.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2004
You can't - the SWF is just a stub. Likely the presentation is stored in a format that can't be saved offline since it's kept on a remote server. If it has any sort of interactivity in it, it won't be something you can download and view offline.

Ah okay. Thank you for the information. I suppose I'll just do a screen recording.

Thanks for the info!

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I was also going to add that likely the presentation is not going to be one big file - it's probably made up of several components that require server side oriented. Even if you could download them all (and you probably can't) they wouldn't be able to work properly together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.