Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedi74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
i go into a dark room and the flash will go off but takes a horrible, blurry picture. and yes i have tried to reboot my iphone 5 and it doesn't help.

is this a software issue that an update can fix or are we dealing with an antenna gate type issue like the iPhone 4 death grip?

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
You should post the picture so people get a better idea of what you're talking about. I actually remember people having a similar issue when the 4S came out.

jedi74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
You should post the picture so people get a better idea of what you're talking about. I actually remember people having a similar issue when the 4S came out.

what did they do about it? was there a software update that fixed this? i was using the galaxy SII when the iPhone 4 came out.....

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
A picture would help so we could see the problem. Also do you have a screen protector or case on your iPhone?

jedi74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Some people got it replaced at the Apple Store.

You can see/read related posts from the Apple forums and Macrumors here but I would suggest setting up a Genius Bar appointment and getting a replacement:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...pw.r_qf.&fp=4bad47300a4c6f7d&biw=1440&bih=822
https://www.google.com/search?clien...pw.r_qf.&fp=4bad47300a4c6f7d&biw=1440&bih=822

i appreciate this but these are all about the 4S - i just bought the iPhone 5......i tried it out in a dark bathroom which is VERY small so i will try in my living room tonight when its dark and see if it can take a better picture in the dark when there is more open space

forza1976

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Grand Haven MI
So in a super dark room, what does the lens have to focus on? It's logical that some shots will come out blurry.

This isn't an issue, it's how a camera functions! Period! I can take my full frame Nikon D700 with my 1.4f stop 50mm and i'll get similar results because it's nearly impossible to focus as sharp as possible on something.

:rolleyes:

virtuallynathan

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
You mean like this?
7h585.jpg

xh3tC.jpg

j0VWH.jpg

My hand was at the bottom of the phone, no case, no plastic covers, no fingerprints, dust, etc..

playtillyadrop

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
I had similar problem where the flash would try engage but as it took the picture it would shut off. I did a hard reset by turning the phone off and turning it by holding the home button and power button until the apple logo appeared. Doing this actually rectified the problem

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
So in a super dark room, what does the lens have to focus on? It's logical that some shots will come out blurry.

This isn't an issue, it's how a camera functions! Period! I can take my full frame Nikon D700 with my 1.4f stop 50mm and i'll get similar results because it's nearly impossible to focus as sharp as possible on something.

+1

Every camera I've owned will produce a blurry pic in a completely dark room. As forza1976 says, it has nothing to focus on.

krid

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
NB, Canada
I actually was having this issue, and was going to post about it with a "me too..." but then decided to take some test shots and call apple.

I did this and the flash failed as it had been doing, it lights for focus but then goes dimmer and out during the shot rather than full bright - giving darker shots than if I had not used the flash at all (of course dark room shots are just black).

The attached shots shots are in a lamp lit room (lamp is just out of shot on the right of the photos).

Took up my old iphone 4 and tested it in the same lighting/room and it worked like a charm.

call went through to apple and as I talked to the poor rep to give him my serial I went for the home button to switch out of the camera app and accidentally hit the camera button and the damn thing worked fine. :eek:

Apple is keeping the call as open and filed it intermittent, and said if it crops up again to please call. Not a particularly helpful post on my part but to say the OP is not alone and its odd behavior for new equipment.

So odd.

Attachments

• withoutflash.JPG
    withoutflash.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
  • withflash.JPG
    withflash.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110

champiodo

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012

No it's not dude, there's a good half a second between the flash firing and the camera actually taking the shot. Typical "party photos" taken at a 1.5m focal length in a dark club come out almost pitch black with the flash ON, far darker than with it off.

silvernole12

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
I had the same issue and read someone saying they deleted the flashlight app they had and it worked for them. So I deleted my flashlight app and did a reset and the flash seems to be working correctly now. I'll continue to watch it.

Freebird10

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
I had the same problem, washed out foggy picture when I used flash. Them I removed the white leather case and it works perfectly! Problem solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.