Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Considering you've dropped it, it looks pretty great still!

I know, right?! I have no complaints about my black/slate iPhone. It's been great. It came without any scratches. For what I've put it through without any sort of protection at all, I'd say it's held up pretty well. Even with the "damage" that it's gotten, I don't even see it when I'm using it and still have to look really hard to see any of the blemishes.

I am going to continue rocking it naked until I brake the little bugger completely. That's what I bought applecare + for.

Guess what, everyone is different. Like they say, one person's trash is another person's treasure. Your phone's nicks would bug the **** out of me. :)

Quoted for truth. Some people would really get upset about what my phone looks like if it was theirs. I happen to be one of those people that don't. When I'm using it and staring at the beautiful screen, I don't see or notice any of the scratches that have occurred. After I'm done using it, it goes right back into my pocket or on the desk/nightstand that I'm near by. I'm glad I'm not the type of person who would be annoyed by this or else I would have used both of my applecare replacements already.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Looks great! mine is in a suncase pouch, but I use it naked most of the time, it still looks as good as on the day I got it.

Do you not worry about it slipping out of your hand? or dropping it? I need a case in my bag due to everything else in there bashing up against it.

Yes, I do, but it is too amazing with no case. I just slip it in my (empty) pocket and away I go.

On a somewhat related note, I did drop an iPad2 on a ceramic tile floor one time and it hit the corner and smashed the glass (actually it was my wife's :( it was the 64gb w/cellular...not good) but I paid apple 249 and they sent me a perfect refurb model in exchange. Anyways, I'm quite careful...now.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
When everyone refers to their phone as naked, are we talking about no case or screen protector, or just no case.

For all you naked users, how do you store your phone in your pocket/bag? Do you put it in a sleeve or pouch to keep it from scuffing? Or just put it straight in there.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
When everyone refers to their phone as naked, are we talking about no case or screen protector, or just no case.

For all you naked users, how do you store your phone in your pocket/bag? Do you put it in a sleeve or pouch to keep it from scuffing? Or just put it straight in there.

I'm 100% naked (the phone that is). No sleeve when it's in my pocket. Just the only thing in that pocket. I place it on a microfiber cloth on my night stand when I sleep because I use it as my alarm clock and don't want to scrape it or something in case I get rough turning the alarm off. Everywhere else I just try to find the smoothest surface to place it on.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'm 100% naked (the phone that is). No sleeve when it's in my pocket. Just the only thing in that pocket. I place it on a microfiber cloth on my night stand when I sleep because I use it as my alarm clock and don't want to scrape it or something in case I get rough turning the alarm off. Everywhere else I just try to find the smoothest surface to place it on.

That's currently how I'm using my phone too. Keeping in a dedicated pocket/setting on top of soft surfaces.

What color and how long have you had your phone? How's it holding up?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That's currently how I'm using my phone too. Keeping in a dedicated pocket/setting on top of soft surfaces.

What color and how long have you had your phone? How's it holding up?

I've got the black and had it since launch day. It's holding up fairly well. I had a small drop and posted some pics further up in the thread.

zandermom23

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
I use a sleek minimal case just to protect the back from scratches. It doesn't take away much aesthetically. It does cover the Apple but I do not care about that although many probably do. My point being the phone looks amazing still and I have piece of mind about scratching/scuffing the phone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 216

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
Pretty good, actually. I received my black 64GB (factory unlocked from Apple Canada) on Oct 21st in perfect condition. Been using it ever since, naked as I did with the 4S. It goes in the front pocket of my jeans and although I'm conscious with all my gadgets, I'm not terribly OCD (although I do clean my phone every night before going to bed).

So after almost a month of use, with the exception of very minor (micro scratch) at the bottom of the phone from both the headphone jack and lighting connector (probably from hunting the holes in the dark) , the rest of the phone is scratch/scuff free. Not even on the chamfered edge. The anodizing on mine seems to be really good. The fact that it's manufactured on the 42nd week could probably mean that some of the earlier issue has been resolved. Here's a couple photos taken a week ago.

8152915150_a095cdf7fc_c.jpg

8152885815_eb4eaef455_c.jpg

8152885751_1ab5a717d0_c.jpg

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I kinda want to see my iPhone 5 take some damage. I'm tired of keeping it in "pristine" condition and constantly checking on it. I want to enjoy my phone and the beautiful display. I think it will look badass after its been genuinely scared and scraped. Things weren't meant to be perfect.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I thought I was taking great care of mine but I just did an inspection when this thread popped up and I have a few tiny little nicks :(

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Mine is in the same condition it came out of the box on October 2nd and its been naked the whole time.

It might sound geeky but I have small pitch black mouse pads on a few end-tables and my night stand at home I use for the iPhone and iPad. I also have one on my desk in my office exclusively for my phone too. Works perfectly and doesn't look too tacky, but just don't ask my wife.

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
Anyone have any luck getting their phone swapped after a week or so of use due to the coating around the bezel starting to erode? Yes it's minor but my argument is - if it's already starting to erode after a week, how bad will it be after a month or 2?

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
My iPhone 5 even after a week's worth of use since brand new has shiny metal showing underneath the black. This is my second 5. Same thing.

I don't and won't ever use a case. I simply don't care. No one else cares except obsessed apple forum members. People returning these or fretting about seeing minuscule nicks on fresh out of box i5s makes me feel embarrassed for you.

Seriously just enjoy it for what it is. A phone. That will be made obsolete sooner than you'd like. Apple is in the business to profit. They'll profit more from some than others.

----------

Pretty good, actually. I received my black 64GB (factory unlocked from Apple Canada) on Oct 21st in perfect condition. Been using it ever since, naked as I did with the 4S. It goes in the front pocket of my jeans and although I'm conscious with all my gadgets, I'm not terribly OCD (although I do clean my phone every night before going to bed).

So after almost a month of use, with the exception of very minor (micro scratch) at the bottom of the phone from both the headphone jack and lighting connector (probably from hunting the holes in the dark) , the rest of the phone is scratch/scuff free. Not even on the chamfered edge. The anodizing on mine seems to be really good. The fact that it's manufactured on the 42nd week could probably mean that some of the earlier issue has been resolved. Here's a couple photos taken a week ago.

Lets be honest. You baby the snot out of your phone for it to look like that with no nicks to show for it

Even normal use one day you will see something. Please.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Looks fine to me. I plan to get a back-protector like a Zagg Shield or something at the most. I had an iPhone 4 for 2 years without a screen protector, scratch free!

zaggs are an enormous rip off, especially in a retail store like best buy. go to amazon and get a 5-6 dollars screen protector. also the zagg iphone 5 protectors don't give full coverage.

Go with a case if you plan to sell the phone.

----------

My iPhone 5 even after a week's worth of use since brand new has shiny metal showing underneath the black. This is my second 5. Same thing.

I don't and won't ever use a case. I simply don't care. No one else cares except obsessed apple forum members. People returning these or fretting about seeing minuscule nicks on fresh out of box i5s makes me feel embarrassed for you.

the majority of people use cases because they own their phones for more than a year, and many normal users break the glass. Cant tell you how many people i know walking around with broken glass phones.

Mind you i have never done that, but i also use a case.... even if its a low profile one.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
zaggs are an enormous rip off, especially in a retail store like best buy. go to amazon and get a 5-6 dollars screen protector. also the zagg iphone 5 protectors don't give full coverage.

Go with a case if you plan to sell the phone.

----------

the majority of people use cases because they own their phones for more than a year, and many normal users break the glass. Cant tell you how many people i know walking around with broken glass phones.

Mind you i have never done that, but i also use a case.... even if its a low profile one.

I concur. Monoprice.com's screen protector are some of the most clear and longest lasting out there. Can't beat the $1.50 or so price either.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008

Seriously just enjoy it for what it is. A phone. That will be made obsolete sooner than you'd like. Apple is in the business to profit. They'll profit more from some than others.

----------

Lets be honest. You baby the snot out of your phone for it to look like that with no nicks to show for it

Even normal use one day you will see something. Please.

If I were to, as you put it, baby the phone I would've used a case but like I said I am conscious of not putting keys or coins in the same pocket as the phone but other than that I treat it as well as I did with my previous iPhone 4S. I don't throw the phone around if that's what you mean. I also bought AppleCare + after hearing the horror story especially on this forum which is why I'm surprised at how well mine's been holding up.

I don't think it will remain unscathed forever and almost two months into owning the phone there are a few more very minor chipping to the anodized surface but from what I can recall from the two months of using my iPhone 4S, the scuffing on the steel band was more readily apparent especially around where the steel constantly rubbing against the palm of my hand.

There is also the fact that my phone was manufactured on the 40th week of production that earlier issues with anodizing and QC in general had been resolved. Also I like to think that because I paid full pop- CAD$899 for the 64GB- perhaps the QC is elevated above carrier subsidized phone (although it's more than likely luck).

More photos of the phone taken tonight- almost one month over the last set of photos:

8253278333_8687752c3d_c.jpg

8253278381_489c2fc314_c.jpg

8253278355_ac0f638aab_c.jpg

8253278413_64a66e0c27_c.jpg

8253278433_1394b1f875_c.jpg

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Oddly enough I've put my black iPhone inap a case since release and I still got a scratch near the power button. I think I got it from pressing the power button. Oh well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.