Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Hi there,

So, being the lovely guy I am, I got my girlfriend a new iPhone 4 today, unboxed it and its all good, although the wifi seems to not be picked up half the time, whereas the 4s I have and the iPad and her old 3G could all get the wifi fine.
Could this be down to the phone and faulty wifi, or possibly too many devices on the wifi? Or maybe even just a software issue?
One last thing, on all devices we can see our neighbours wifi, yet on this new iPhone 4, cannot see it.
Also, brand new from Apple, not a reseller or anything.
Thanks guys!

Edit: Forgot to mention, it does get wifi, but its either really weak, or only strong when close to the router!

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Could be an issue with it.

A swap at the Apple store (rather, a return/repurchase in one transaction) may be due.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Try a hard reset a couple times in a row. Might take care of the situation...

Hold power and home button at the same time until the white apple appears, let go. I had an iPhone 4 until I just received my iPhone 5 and never had any wifi issues with it. If it continues to have problems, you might consider returning it.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Are you bridging the gap between the antennas with your hand/fingers (or to put it another way, does it not get a good signal in a case or on a table untouched)?

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Could be an issue with it.

A swap at the Apple store (rather, a return/repurchase in one transaction) may be due.

Was worried I might have to do this, damn. This is my first purchase with an issue though in 6 years, I'm doing well!

Try a hard reset a couple times in a row. Might take care of the situation...

Hold power and home button at the same time until the white apple appears, let go. I had an iPhone 4 until I just received my iPhone 5 and never had any wifi issues with it. If it continues to have problems, you might consider returning it.

Tried a few hard resets already, also tried resetting the network settings several times in case. Again, upsetting I might have too, is 14 days the policy?

Are you bridging the gap between the antennas with your hand/fingers (or to put it another way, does it not get a good signal in a case or on a table untouched)?

I thought it could be the dredded antennagate with a case, and this seemed to fix it a little bit, but still nothing on my iPad or old 3GS, and surely the 3GS should have "worse" or just as good wifi.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Any other ideas guys? Or just take it in?
Although I guess I could try a fresh install, if you think thats a good idea?

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
It's a brand new phone though. Would this break warranty? And would it really come with a losse screw?

They are assembled by hand so there is always the chance that it came that way. However I would not risk opening a brand new iPhone 4. You should schedule an appointment with the genius bar and have them replace or fix it.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
They are assembled by hand so there is always the chance that it came that way. However I would not risk opening a brand new iPhone 4. You should schedule an appointment with the genius bar and have them replace or fix it.

Booked myself in for a Wednesday appointment, recon it will be a fix/new unit? I just don't want to be waiting around for like 2 hours in London with nothing todo...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.