Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Setup my brother's old factory unlocked 3GS for a friend of his who is on T-Mobile and to my surprise it picked up 3G here in Roswell, Ga.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Nice to see someone else pegged the tower nearest me. Sadly, it doesn't give 3G to my house, but once I get a block away, 3G it is. One of these times I'm not driving, I'll have to compare T-Mobile 3G on iPhone 4 to AT&T "4G" on iPhone 4S.

sanches12

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
If you have an iPhone 5, I believe Verizon can also do this, but only over LTE.[/QUOTE]

Even on LTE Verizon customers cannot talk and surf the web at the same time. Verizon and Sprint still use CDMA radio to talk which means using the internet simultanouesly is a no go for them where as with at&t and T-Mobile 3G or higher it is the standard.

victorbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Just got my T-Mobile micro SIM. Activated it on T-Mobile.com, picked the $30 plan without any problem (no taxes.) Cut it down and put it in an iPhone 5.

Got very good 3G at home here in San Francisco (up to 11mbps), and got 3G around Central Richmond, and around Sunset Bld. I also got 3G at school, and I know you can get 3G around Pacific Heights, Van Ness...

Looks like SF has done most of its refarm already...

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Getting 3G in areas all over the Denver metropolitan area... Here's a screenshot from aurora Colorado
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352336356.957096.jpg

boxpin

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
3G in Roseville California

I was sitting in my chair at Kaseberg park in Roseville, Ca watching my kids soccer game. I pulled out my iphone and what to my surprise!??

E5742FCD-144C-4855-AD80-E2DD984E6B07-165-000000197C1E0013.jpg

4B2E5945-CBF1-4BF1-A1ED-686A06A2517C-165-0000001ACF098CCE.jpg

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
If you have an iPhone 5, I believe Verizon can also do this, but only over LTE.

Even on LTE Verizon customers cannot talk and surf the web at the same time. Verizon and Sprint still use CDMA radio to talk which means using the internet simultanouesly is a no go for them where as with at&t and T-Mobile 3G or higher it is the standard.[/QUOTE]

Wow I ways though that LTE 4G on Verizon & Sprint did support simultaneous voice and data. I wonder why I keep seen those AT&T commercials bringing up this feature as PR.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Even on LTE Verizon customers cannot talk and surf the web at the same time. Verizon and Sprint still use CDMA radio to talk which means using the internet simultanouesly is a no go for them where as with at&t and T-Mobile 3G or higher it is the standard

Wow I ways though that LTE 4G on Verizon & Sprint did support simultaneous voice and data. I wonder why I keep seen those AT&T commercials bringing up this feature as PR.

Depends one on the phone. VZW/Sprint Galaxy S3s can use LTE data while talking on the phone.

AT&T has the one up because it will work on every one of their phones, but it isn't LTE data. Just HSPA+, because none of the radios out there can support HSPA+ voice and LTE data at the same time (yet)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Depends one on the phone. VZW/Sprint Galaxy S3s can use LTE data while talking on the phone.

AT&T has the one up because it will work on every one of their phones, but it isn't LTE data. Just HSPA+, because none of the radios out there can support HSPA+ voice and LTE data at the same time (yet)

There are two ways that Verizon and Sprint can do simultaneous voice&data.

1. Dual antennas. One antenna for LTE data, one for CDMA voice. The iPhone cannot do this with any current design, it would require a redesign.

2. VoLTE - Voice over LTE. This uses the data connection to transmit voice, much the same way Skype or even FaceTime do. The iPhone *COULD* do this with a software upgrade. This is entirely up to a combination of Apple and the carrier.

Note: This is semi-true on AT&T as well. AT&T LTE is data-only, but since GSM (HSPA+,) supports simultaneous voice and data, the AT&T iPhone 5 just drops the data connection from LTE to HSPA+ when you're using voice. So when you're talking, you'll get slower internet speeds, but you do get data at least.

(The older EDGE network, similar to CDMA, does not allow simultaneous voice+data, so the original "2G" iPhone can't do simultaneous on any carrier; and until T-Mobile's rollout of 3G, even the 3G-capable iPhones couldn't do it on T-Mobile.)

victorbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
San Francisco, CA.

You can see that 3G is even faster than my home network, which is Comcast 20Mbps. :D

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    302.1 KB · Views: 115

iPhonesandMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Getting great speeds all over Denver! It seems that I have 3G coverage in lots of places but my phone still insists to use edge, even though when I switch 3G on and off I pick up 3G in lots of places... So I wonder why it is choosing edge over 3G when it's available.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352786943.037084.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352786953.968757.jpg

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Was shopping around Melrose Park area (Chicago western subs) and 3G was going in and out... I'm assuming Chicago will get it mostly before Black Friday so that T-Mobile can market it to unlocked iPhone purchasers/users/hand-me down owners/people off AT&T contract... ;)

*keeps fingers crossed that we $6/month T-Mobile Web unlimited EDGE users get grandfathered in* :D

Sixth Street

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007

papaalex

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
TX
I'm a bit surprised at that press release, at least as it concerns Houston. The areas covered are a fairly small portion of the Houston metro, not immaterial, but not too far from it.

I might try a prepaid tmobile sim in my ATT iphone 5 just for kicks though.

I live close to Humble / Kingwood area and I only get spotty areas of 3G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.