Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Smile Has anyone had any luck unlocking their iPhone through AT&T's service recently?

Hey,
My iPhone 3GS is currently unlocked with ultrasn0w, but the phone itself locked only to AT&T.
I called them and asked them if it's possible to unlock it but they keep asking me for a receipt.
Has anyone unlocked their iPhone trough ATT's service recently?
If so how have you done it without a receipt? Are there any tricks that will make them accept my unlock request?
Thanks a lot
Spyzz83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

They dont do it for non AT&T customers any more and even if you are a customer they give you the runaround.
Pay the $3-4 and get the imei unlock on ebay. Way easier....
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
They dont do it for non AT&T customers any more and even if you are a customer they give you the runaround.
Pay the $3-4 and get the imei unlock on ebay. Way easier....
They do, they just always ask for a receipt..
And I would prefer this unlock instead, if it's possible of course
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyzz83 View Post
They do, they just always ask for a receipt..
And I would prefer this unlock instead, if it's possible of course
Give it a shot then.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #5
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

It took AT&T 2 months to send me the unlock email. I didn't wait for them, unlocked it elsewhere. They're just slow. Very slow.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #6
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

I had my iPhone 4 unlocked maybe 6 weeks ago. They just asked for my phone number I think. I may have had to read a serial number out of settings, I don't remember. No run around at all, but you have to call customer service, they don't do it at the local stores.

Of course, my iPhone 4 had been on an active AT&T account for over two years at the time. If you've been switching carriers, or bought the phone second hand you might have different hoops to jump through.
Panch0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch0 View Post
I had my iPhone 4 unlocked maybe 6 weeks ago. They just asked for my phone number I think. I may have had to read a serial number out of settings, I don't remember. No run around at all, but you have to call customer service, they don't do it at the local stores.

Of course, my iPhone 4 had been on an active AT&T account for over two years at the time. If you've been switching carriers, or bought the phone second hand you might have different hoops to jump through.
I've bought the phone long ago, it was locked when I bought it.. Never had any contact with ATT..
Do you think they might completely lock my phone if I send them a fake receipt?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've bought the phone long ago, it was locked when I bought it.. Never had any contact with ATT..
I think you need to have a had that phone on contract in the past with AT&T. I just had them unlock an old 3GS of mine and it took them 2 days to it. They didn't ask for anything more than the IMEI number. I did this a couple of weeks ago.

You can get the same unlock on eBay for $5-$10. I would just do that instead trying to argue with AT&T.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:05 PM   #9
SavMBP15
macrumors 6502

Quote:
No.
SavMBP15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:17 PM   #10
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggio View Post

You can get the same unlock on eBay for $5-$10. I would just do that instead trying to argue with AT&T.
Appears to be a much more efficient and productive resolution.
erratikmind is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 04:18 PM   #11
ZekersSneakers
macrumors newbie

I unlocked my old iPhone 4 (AT&T, out of contract) via their online form and it was unlocked the next day.
ZekersSneakers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Spyzz83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekersSneakers View Post
I unlocked my old iPhone 4 (AT&T, out of contract) via their online form and it was unlocked the next day.
Didn't they ask you for a receipt?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:01 AM   #13
illippinno
macrumors member

My iPhone 4 from AT&T (out of contract) was unlocked about a month ago via their online unlock request form. I've since switched to Verizon with my iPhone 5, but if I remember correctly, you have to provide your phone number, IMEI number, name and last 4 of your social, and they look your account based on that and make the decision if you're eligible for an unlock.

It took about 5 days before I received a confirmation that my phone can be unlocked the next time I restore my phone thru iTunes.
illippinno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Tulsa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekersSneakers View Post
I have two 4's, both out of contract, AT&T unlocked both within a day of sending that same form. No hassles at all.
Tulsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 07:55 AM   #15
alexlc1
macrumors newbie

I unlocked an old iPhone 4 out of contract about a month ago. The phone was bought from and used with AT&T for the course of the contract. I just went to www.att.com/deviceunlock and requested the device to be unlocked. Took exactly 7 days before I received the email saying it was unlocked, but it was pretty easy.

It looks as though there is a section for people who purchased it unsubsidised from AT&T, but as you said, its asking for a receipt to be faxed to them.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 02:30 PM   #16
ZekersSneakers
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Didn't they ask you for a receipt?
No they did not.
ZekersSneakers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
davejane
macrumors newbie

ATT are telling me the iPhone 4 I have is unlocked, however when I put an active Verizon sim in it still shows no service.

Does this mean it's not actually unlocked, or do Verizon sim's not work in ATT phones?
davejane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:45 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejane View Post
ATT are telling me the iPhone 4 I have is unlocked, however when I put an active Verizon sim in it still shows no service.

Does this mean it's not actually unlocked, or do Verizon sim's not work in ATT phones?
You cannot use an AT&T phone on verizon.
It's not just sticking a sim inside.
You can put in any gsm sim.
Not a CDMA carrier as verizon or Sprint.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:53 PM   #19
wesk702
macrumors 65816

I unlocked through there website service and it took about a little over a week. Went smoothly. No receipt, however I was an AT&T customer and I was at the end of my contract.
wesk702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:57 AM   #20
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

I have unlocked two old iPhones via their online form; one was my old 3GS and the other was an old 3G that belonged to a friend. Both unlocks went fine with no hitches.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:15 AM   #21
user418
macrumors 6502a

Online site, unlock email received same day, ATT iPhone 4 unlocked within 24 hours.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:04 PM   #22
BIS2
macrumors regular

I bought a 4s on ebay and they just rejected my unlock request (I faxes them my receipt) although it is eligible to be unlocked. But then again I' not an at&t customer. Going to try to call and see if I can get them to do it as I've heard some people have had luck with that.
BIS2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:02 PM   #23
jekyoo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIS2 View Post
I bought a 4s on ebay and they just rejected my unlock request (I faxes them my receipt) although it is eligible to be unlocked. But then again I' not an at&t customer. Going to try to call and see if I can get them to do it as I've heard some people have had luck with that.
Forget the hassle and just have your phone unlocked via ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code-...item4abe000d3f It's only $3.37. I've bought this unlock for 4 phones already they were all unlocked the in hours.
jekyoo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:08 PM   #24
lookn4wifi
macrumors regular

About a month ago I filled out an unlock request on AT&T's web site for my off contract 3GS. No issues. Unlocked in about a week or a tad more.
lookn4wifi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:21 PM   #25
BIS2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyoo View Post
Forget the hassle and just have your phone unlocked via ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code-...item4abe000d3f It's only $3.37. I've bought this unlock for 4 phones already they were all unlocked the in hours.
So I tried calling At&t to get them to unlock my ebay purchased phone (which they had rejected my online request to unlock). The at&t rep knew nothing and said apple had to unlock it so she transferred me to them.....the apple rep said that was crazy and that at&t had to do it. She also confirmed for me that the phone was locked.

I hung up and went on ebay to buy an unlock from unlock_fusion. I put in my imei on their page and it said my phone was unlocked......HUH?? So I put my tmobile SIM in, and what do you know the phone was now unlocked? I have no idea who unlocked it or when, since 5 mins before apple told me it was locked and at&t refused me, but whatever I'm happy!
BIS2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone